You noticing uptick of closings where you are?

In the last couple weeks I’ve seen a ton of for lease signs going up on stores and some bars/eateries.  Almost like all of them ran out of money and hope at the same time.   Fuck covid fear.  Killing the young and healthy now while they’re still alive. 

No, we're moving in the other direction here in bath salt and windshield shooting land. 

definitely. cash flow businesses run through grants very quickly. just because there's a set number coming in from grants or other support doens't lower minimum operating costs. the options are to mothball the busniess but lose relevance and your staff or try to make up the shortfall with deeply mitigated volume. in some cases (my place) mitigated volume, hours, product, and promotions.

i do think there will be a bubba-gump effect for the operations that can make it to the other side, though. not only will there be significantly less competition, "going out" will be a novelty it hasn't been since, what, prohibition?

there's also increasing opportunity for new business. commercial space is dropping rapidly. i just signed a lease for a small storefront in a busy downtown main drag in a suburb directly across the river from downtown louisville. again, it's small, but it's $425/mo. i'm not even 100% sure what i'm going to do with it. i might just store my extra shit in there at that price.

DaveFu - 

No, we're moving in the other direction here in bath salt and windshield shooting land. 

androb - 
DaveFu - 

'A scary number' of retail companies are facing bankruptcy amid the coronavirus pandemic

One thing to consider is that I'm in central Florida. Hospitality and service industry work has been so good for so long, that A. most of our locations are corporate chains B. The mom and pop places have had such reliably good business, that they've been able to ride it out. 

I understand that my location is a an outlier and doesn't disprove the general trend. 

We still have bunch of new places opening , a lot of the places have crushed during covid, but a lot are just not wired for restrictions whether with size or layout and some have closed that you’d never expect 

Yes and unfortunately I think these losses are permanent based on the fact that you would assume some businesses would try to hold out until the holiday’s where typically people open up their wallets…

Graduate1 - Yes and unfortunately I think these losses are permanent based on the fact that you would assume some businesses would try to hold out until the holiday's where typically people open up their wallets..

Or at least until Nov 4th, when the covid hype will mysteriously peter out for no reason that anyone could ever possibly figure out no matter how hard they try and will forever remain a great unsolved wonder.

Peixes -

definitely. cash flow businesses run through grants very quickly. just because there's a set number coming in from grants or other support doens't lower minimum operating costs. the options are to mothball the busniess but lose relevance and your staff or try to make up the shortfall with deeply mitigated volume. in some cases (my place) mitigated volume, hours, product, and promotions.

i do think there will be a bubba-gump effect for the operations that can make it to the other side, though. not only will there be significantly less competition, "going out" will be a novelty it hasn't been since, what, prohibition?

there's also increasing opportunity for new business. commercial space is dropping rapidly. i just signed a lease for a small storefront in a busy downtown main drag in a suburb directly across the river from downtown louisville. again, it's small, but it's $425/mo. i'm not even 100% sure what i'm going to do with it. i might just store my extra shit in there at that price.

inteeesting point on the bubba gump idea. Although that may be a long time. We’re pretty well full open up here in the Canadian prairies, but movie theatres and restaurants are struggling. People don’t wanna go out in the same numbers as before. Restaurants are capacity limited below what can sustain them (for the most part) and they can’t even hit that limited capacity. 

Yes, strip malls are slowly dying here. Not sure how some of these places have survived this long. 

roxa star - 

Yes, strip malls are slowly dying here. Not sure how some of these places have survived this long. 

I assume government subsidies, loans, etc got them through the last few months but it was barely enough to cover basic costs…

owners maybe realizing that even as things open up they’ll still not get back to thier old numbers so why put it off?

sad times for a lot of businesses. owners must be very fustrated and mad.

It’s sad that restaurants and bars are closing but they’ll be back eventually. People love to try their hand at running a restaurant for some reason. I’m more disappointed in all the retail stores closing and going out of business, I think they’re gone for good.

Lots of business owners in my area (central ny) are tying up loose ends and moving out of state. I would if I could. We are in a great city and my girls are in a good school district. Only district around that is  having the elementary school kids go to school 4 days a week. 1 day remote. The walls are closing in though due to being in this liberal hell hole state. Cuomo is an animal. 

I own a business in a building complex. Their used to be 12 business, as of yesterday they are down to 4. They are pulling business signs off like Band-Aids.... 

TzTinkle - It's sad that restaurants and bars are closing but they'll be back eventually. People love to try their hand at running a restaurant for some reason. I'm more disappointed in all the retail stores closing and going out of business, I think they're gone for good.

the small retail store owners i know that are making it bascially use their retail space as a showroom/warehouse/office and make as much as if not most of their sales online.

the ones that got ahead of the curve on this early are the ones doing the best.

a friend of mine has build an empire over the last 10-12 years out of a dinky consignment store. good taste + ambition + hard work + trendiness. she cross-posts on every relevant sales site. it used to be ebay and craigslist. then came etsy and marketplace. now it's poshmark and letgo.

i'd imagine she uses some software to manage all of it, but she might just grind it out.

either way, she has a nicer house than me and spends a month a year traveling, somethiing must be going ok. no kids, although i did try to empregnate her a few times ; )

Los Angeles. It’s noticeable but not as bad as you would think. I do know personally ppl are barely hanging on but still appear open/busy/etc. What is extremely noticeable is the insane uptick in homeless encampments. Those aren’t even covid related, that will be next year. It’s still early to really feel the actual effects of this year. Next year is the year to hold onto your butts.

yes.  anyone that thinks the economy is going to bounce right out of this isn't living in reality.

Maybe they should open up a BLM violent protest instead.

These are 100% covid free and democrat approved.

EFM -

yes.  anyone that thinks the economy is going to bounce right out of this isn't living in reality.

Truth but some people don't mind that.