You noticing uptick of closings where you are?

Not at all. New restaurants are opening at a slower rate than preronatine, though. 

I am in Los Angeles, everything is shut down, most will never come back. Most of the bars I liked to drink at are never opening again.

Lots of restaurants have closed here in Austin. I assume even more will here in the near future.

SpeedKing9 - Los Angeles. It's noticeable but not as bad as you would think. I do know personally ppl are barely hanging on but still appear open/busy/etc. What is extremely noticeable is the insane uptick in homeless encampments. Those aren't even covid related, that will be next year. It's still early to really feel the actual effects of this year. Next year is the year to hold onto your butts.

if COVID was as contagious and dangerous as the experts claim, and preys on people not wearing masks and refusing to social distance. Homeless camps would be on the decline because of the sheer number of deaths…

The homeless population in LA is growing larger and more dense. They don’t wash their bodies, let alone their hands, they don’t wear masks, they don’t socially distance, they are already in poor health, yet COVID hasn’t touched them. They are partying all night long on every street corner while you and I can’t go anywhere or do anything because, “the virus is very dangerous.”

mhmmm

2 Likes

CT just released their report on Covid related deaths in the state. 72% of deaths were in long term care facilities. Neighboring states stats roughly the same.

Yeah its bad. Lots of staple eateries and chains getting shut down. In VA you have to be bar+food. Most of the profit is in the bar. Nobody goes out to drink anymore. Its starting to get rough. 

jcblass - I am in Los Angeles, everything is shut down, most will never come back. Most of the bars I liked to drink at are never opening again.

Jeez, my wife is a bartender.

I live across the river from St. Louis in St. Charles Missouri. We have been fully open since the 1st week of May.

Bars are 40 deep to get in the door on Main street, so much so we might start closing at 10 to deter the large crowds.  St. Louis bars have a 10 pm shut down, then they swarm us over here

Hell, I'm going to see my buddy's band Sat night- open til 1:30am

Back to norm here

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/nightly-crowds-on-main-street-st-charles-in-missouri-look-more-like-mardi-gras/vi-BB19mm9q

yes and its gonna get worse

Most small businesses run check to check.  Running at 25 or even 50 percent capacity is not sustainable.  And they're rich to Democrats so there will only be help, if at all, for so long.  

It’s a mix around here. The businesses that were struggling before covid used it as an excuse and shut down. The ones that were doing decent before were able to ride out the storm and are doing well. There will be some great opportunities in the spring for those that can make it through this winter.

Personally for us we are in our sixth week of fully reopening. We have set record weekly, daily and hourly sale’s numbers. We have been hiring like crazy and had a site eval to expand our kitchen.

Peixes -

definitely. cash flow businesses run through grants very quickly. just because there's a set number coming in from grants or other support doens't lower minimum operating costs. the options are to mothball the busniess but lose relevance and your staff or try to make up the shortfall with deeply mitigated volume. in some cases (my place) mitigated volume, hours, product, and promotions.

i do think there will be a bubba-gump effect for the operations that can make it to the other side, though. not only will there be significantly less competition, "going out" will be a novelty it hasn't been since, what, prohibition?

there's also increasing opportunity for new business. commercial space is dropping rapidly. i just signed a lease for a small storefront in a busy downtown main drag in a suburb directly across the river from downtown louisville. again, it's small, but it's $425/mo. i'm not even 100% sure what i'm going to do with it. i might just store my extra shit in there at that price.

Yep, this is going to be a war of attrition for businesses. If you’re still open in 2022 you’re probably golden. 

Buffer720 - 

Most small businesses run check to check.  Running at 25 or even 50 percent capacity is not sustainable.  And they're rich to Democrats so there will only be help, if at all, for so long.  

tell that the the welfare losers on this board that say its these businesses fault for not being "able to adapt" to devastating restrictions.  

such basement wisdom

ghost of KVR - It's a mix around here. The businesses that were struggling before covid used it as an excuse and shut down. The ones that were doing decent before were able to ride out the storm and are doing well. There will be some great opportunities in the spring for those that can make it through this winter.

Personally for us we are in our sixth week of fully reopening. We have set record weekly, daily and hourly sale’s numbers. We have been hiring like crazy and had a site eval to expand our kitchen.

Awesome you’re killing it.  Yeah some names definitely folding up down here.  Rumor the GLB could be next and that’s an institution.  

Businesses thats been around for multiple decades are closing around me, sad

BigEyedFish -
Buffer720 - 

tell that the the welfare losers on this board that say its these businesses fault for not being "able to adapt" to devastating restrictions.  

such basement wisdom

Yep that was very telling when people were saying that stuff. Only losers say stuff like that to people that are losing their livelihoods.

Restaurant business is tough, 1 in 5 close before being open 5 years. That was pre covid, its a blood bath now.

Open this shit back up

There is no reason for this

We have Private schools coming across the river to play ball sports.

so many kids left out