don't let it happen but if so..
kimura and step over head to back step pass
or
under hook arm and back out into an esgrima pass

3. berimbolo

back step, control the far leg via the foot, and reset the guard

4. inverted guard

pin a leg with same side knee when he rolls over you go right to a knee slide

1. the leg lasso - don't get there. shut down spider/leg lasso before it happens. worst case scenario, get rid of the regular spider hook first and then deal with the leg lasso, often by dropping a foot/knee in their leg to release the grip
    2. deep half guard - facepalm (on them)and step over
    3. berimbolo - don't get there, shut down the dlr before they off-balance
    4. inverted guard - collapse the knees together. they have no guard if their knees are together.

PrisonMattressPuncher - 

I generally just close the distance and smash immediately, as soon as the legs open, which negates a lot of the gurard work with legs.

But what if you are starting from the knees and they immediately sit back and start working their open guard game? How does your approach change, if at all?

all guard passing is the same.

elbows tight, break grips, gain inside control, grab any underhooks you can and trap their hips.

I have a very simple way to stop lasso guard Rodrigo Medeiros taught me. Hasn't given me a problem since. Phone Post

joshjitsu - 

I have a very simple way to stop lasso guard Rodrigo Medeiros taught me. Hasn't given me a problem since. Phone Post

Care to share?

Yea, I just find it very difficult to type it on here. I will make a short video this week. Maybe tomorrow and post a link.

Muffinho - all guard passing is the same.

elbows tight, break grips, gain inside control, grab any underhooks you can and trap their hips.

I am going to strongly disagree with this statement.

Joshjitsu,

A video would be awesome if you have time! Thanks! Phone Post

joshjitsu - 

lol?

Have you ever seen Cobrinha or Gui, or Rodolfo pass guard?

They establish the strong knee cut position against every "modern" guard you can think of. How? Well they obv keep their elbows tight, everyone does that. They break dominant grips (or dont allow them to happen). They enter the knee slice, blocking the underhook and the free foot (inside control). When they can get an underhook, they take it.

They pass and trap the hips.

=/

Muffinho -
joshjitsu - 

lol?

Have you ever seen Cobrinha or Gui, or Rodolfo pass guard?

They establish the strong knee cut position against every "modern" guard you can think of. How? Well they obv keep their elbows tight, everyone does that. They break dominant grips (or dont allow them to happen). They enter the knee slice, blocking the underhook and the free foot (inside control). When they can get an underhook, they take it.

They pass and trap the hips.

=/

Despite all the fancy passes I have seen there are themes that run through all of them. There's three types: dislocation, misdirection, and pressure. Some of them have combination elements in them but the principles are the same with all of them. They say it takes a genius to make the complex simple, and Gui, Rafa and Cobrinha are great examples because they really understand the 'why'. I can see both sides here, but principle works. Phone Post

I didn't mention Rafa because he rarely has to pass an established guard in competition, and when he does, he almost insta-passes.

Muffinho - I didn't mention Rafa because he rarely has to pass an established guard in competition, and when he does, he almost insta-passes.

Absolutely untrue. I have seen multiple times when he has to pass established guards. He just leg drags which can be just as effective with or without an underhook. Go watch Rafa vs Ryan Hall or Robson Moura, Bruno there are tons of examples. With leg drag passing it really changes the game.

As far as Gui and Rudolpho go, I ave seen both of them use leg drag passing as well as a knee cut.

Muffino i'm not saying what you're explaining isn't extremely effective in many many situations. Just that there are many other options where a knee cut isn't the best option. Examples like 50/50, tornado or inverted come to mind. Phone Post

joshjitsu - 
Muffinho - I didn't mention Rafa because he rarely has to pass an established guard in competition, and when he does, he almost insta-passes.

Absolutely untrue. I have seen multiple times when he has to pass established guards. He just leg drags which can be just as effective with or without an underhook. Go watch Rafa vs Ryan Hall or Robson Moura, Bruno there are tons of examples. With leg drag passing it really changes the game.

As far as Gui and Rudolpho go, I ave seen both of them use leg drag passing as well as a knee cut.

3 = lots of examples?

Rafa only passes established guards of people not close to his level.

I'm sure he could pass better guys' guards, but have you ever seen him enter Mario Reis' guard without already setting up a leg drag from bottom?

It's nothing against Rafa, it's his strategy.

You can disagree, that's fine.

Muffinho - 
joshjitsu - 

3 = lots of examples?

I'm sure he could pass better guys' guards, but have you ever seen him enter Mario Reis' guard without already setting up a leg drag from bottom?

You said none, I listed 3 I can dig more if need be.

You're saying Robson is not close to his level?

What I'm saying is your one size fits all approach doesn't work against all guards.

Posture, then punch them in the face.

hip control.. and in some cases a mix of seeing the sequence coming and athletcism to kill teh transition

joshjitsu - 
Muffinho - 
joshjitsu - 

3 = lots of examples?

You said none, I listed 3 I can dig more if need be.

You're saying Robson is not close to his level?

What I'm saying is your one size fits all approach doesn't work against all guards.

I said rarely. The only person close to his level is Cobrinha. Malfacine is just as good, but significantly smaller. That's it.

I think it works against passing everything except 50/50; sometimes you need to be able to use the dominant knee slice position and then leave it for a leg drag, but that's something every high level guard passer does. In any case, breaking grips, establishing dominant grips/controls (including underhooks) and trapping their hips is obviously essential to passing any guard.

I always look at Cobrinha and Malfacine when it comes to guard passing because they have used their style against the modern guards and the older guards. Having said that, my knee cut sucks, and I almost purely leg drag, but thats because I trained with the Mendes bros for a few weeks and had a bunch of privates.