Your thoughts on acupuncture?

My wife is a big believer in acupuncture and chi. I think both are crap. I can understand stimulating a nerve or spot to increase blood flow. However, I don't believe that poking a spot in your toe will help make your liver stronger or give you more energy throughout the day. I think it's all placebo.

What do you guys think? What have your experiences been? Phone Post 3.0

Witch doctory Phone Post 3.0

As a long time sufferer of Tinnitus I have tried it on 3 separate occassions. 2 of which were by very highly regarded acupuncturists and 1 by a tradional Chinese Acupuncturist. All were "super confident it would be successful in at least eleviating 75-80% of the ringing)

the first two involved 2 sessions per week for 3 or 4 weeks the other (Chinese Acupuncturist) was once a week for 6 weeks.

The only thing all those sessions successfully made disappear was my money.

garbage....

it is difficult to perform a placebo controlled trial with needles going in your skin.

I've heard from many patients that it works and it's quite safe so I recommend it

Thoughts on acupuncture for what? Or do you just want to keep it simple idiotic and talk about believing or not believing in chi?

had it for a bad shoulder once cuz my sister gets her wrists fixed by him. did nothing for me, but i am sure it works for some stuff

More than you can stand to read but a better analysis than you will find here:

http://skepdic.com/acupuncture.html
http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/acu.html

Yes, they are heavily biased, but fair.

BarkLikeADog - Yes, they are heavily biased, but fair.

It's amazing that someone can think that - let alone type it.

^That simply tells me you're an intellectual lightweight.

To be fair, I probably knew that already, but it can be difficult to keep names straight here.

Not with me, dipshit. Your shtick is played.

My uncle does it and his back feels better after his car accident Phone Post 3.0

Never underestimate the power of the placebo. Mind over matter. Phone Post 3.0

"Not with me, dipshit."

Ooh, anger, name calling, no information. Your contributions to the topic are duly noted.

Rashomon - My wife is a big believer in acupuncture and chi. I think both are crap. I can understand stimulating a nerve or spot to increase blood flow. However, I don't believe that poking a spot in your toe will help make your liver stronger or give you more energy throughout the day. I think it's all placebo.

What do you guys think? What have your experiences been? Phone Post 3.0

You summarized it well.

Nerve manipulation might work sometimes, but the results are often non-stellar.

Chi-stuff = magic.

in for testimonials

Never_rolled - Kaka. My GF also believes the Long Island medium talks to dead people.

My lady friend believed this too and then I showed her "The Biggest Douche in the Universe" episode of South Park. I don't think she's buys that shit anymore, might wanna give that a shot with your girl Phone Post 3.0

Never had accupuncture, but I believe there are studies out there that show that it can release a lot of endorphins into your blood stream. This would help you with true physical pain for some period of pain.

So yes, for true pain, I think accupuncture could help if done properly. I don't think it is going to make you stop smoking though.

All the other shit (reiki etc...), it's a big crock of shit. Phone Post 3.0

Agree with above about accupuncture.

Though I think Qigong (chi meditation) can help you. Not because chi manipulation is real, but visualization is known to relieve pain and have various health benefits. Qigong is basically all visualization. You could call that placebo but it's a very helpful placebo

I just want somebody to stick a fucking needle in my shoulder right now.

Only one person does dry needing locally and it's expensive. I called an accupuncture place one day but he seemed sketchy and flipped out when I mentioned wanting something similar to dry needling.

It's Satan's magic.