Yushin Okami...

I am not impressed by your performance.

When were you ever impressed? I will admit that I haven't seen to many of his fights. I liked him on the Tim Boetsch fight, but he lost that one.

Belcher was tying him up on the ground and defending well, moving, etc. Hard to get good GnP going in that case.

Most of round 2 of Miller/Lauzon -- called by many "fight of the year" -- was spent on the ground; how much decent GnP did you see then?

orcus -

Belcher was tying him up on the ground and defending well, moving, etc. Hard to get good GnP going in that case.

Most of round 2 of Miller/Lauzon -- called by many "fight of the year" -- was spent on the ground; how much decent GnP did you see then?

Fair statement Phone Post

... almost got stopped via KO when Belcher fed him the elbow.

As a fan of Okami, I will happily admit this wasn't one of his best performances.

http://i.minus.com/iThe64rAI3xgC.gif

Tys - ... almost got stopped via KO when Belcher fed him the elbow.

Does look like he may have went out for a second, hard to say for sure though

FearTheClown - 

As a fan of Okami, I will happily admit this wasn't one of his best performances.

He closed the gap well with his 1,2s over the better striker, got the bigger man down numerous times, even when he misthrew, he was able to regain position, passed guard consistently and stopped the rise of a hot MW.

This or the Marquardt win are the biggest wins in his UFC career imo. He was supposed to lose tonight.

Also, how different was this from any other Okami fight?

IronChris - I am not impressed by your performance.

He just seems to be a boring fighter-but he's always busy and very iffective. At least against Blecher-he owns him and his soul now.

I was rooting for Alan but he didn't mount any real offense and nothing he did try, worked

I don't think Belcher tying him up was as much a factor as Okami's unwillingness to take any chances was. The most offense he wanted to generate from side mount was shoulder shrugs. Not till the fight was in the bag did he go for mount and attempt any meaningful ground and pound.

Maybe he didn't want to risk dropping 3 of 4 but it was still was still a boring, stifling fight to watch.

I don't like to say anything negative about fighters but I must say that after that fight he's now become my least favourite fighter to watch.

you can't blame him for playing it safe after what happened in the boetch fight, which he was completely dominating!

belcher brought himself into bad positions and okami just capitalized!

i wonder who will be next for him... Phone Post

If Okami can out wrestle you, you're in for a very long night. Tough dude.

Fobby - 

For someone with a blackbelt in judo... He got reversed 3 times while going for a throw. Okami will never be champion but will probably stay within top 10 forever. Phone Post

i guess anyone with a blackbelt in anything should never fail at anything in their though you dont clinch no gi in judo, even though a bb in judo is obtained in your teens, even though okami was dominating the clinch, even though belcher is a huge mw, even though olympic greco silver medallist matt lindland got reversed against vitale and landed vitale on his head, even though okami reversed position back on each of this misthrows......yeah, okami wont ever be champ (esp with the GOAT MMA fighter in his division) but still dominated.

DoomFarmer - 

Got knocked out in the fight and the damn ref had no clue Phone Post

The ref had "no clue" because if he was "knocked out" he recovered in about a second and still had dominant position when he came to.

For the ref to have a clue, Okami would have had to have stayed "knocked out" long enough for Belcher to finish the fight.

s3xyama - 

Yeah a perennial gate keeper, always wanted to see vs leben or bisping but ufc did a good job keeping them away from him. Phone Post

Okami doesnt have enough offensive firepower to be the champ, Anderson as champ or not, but I think this fight proves he is a solid fight for anyone that wants to go int the elite class of the div.

After 16 fights in the UFC, he's only lost to Andy, Chael, Franklin and Boestch and he showed he was capable of beating Franklin and Boetsch. In the Chael fight, people seem to overlook the fact that Chael took him down all night but iirc, Okami also got back up from each td and never let Chael get off his GNP.

Id like to see him avenage the Boetsch fight, I think Vitor would be too much for him, Bisping would be a good fight with Bisping's underated tdd and ground game coming to light against Chael. Weidman would be too much for him but aside from that, Okami still stands as a good bench mark for all other MWs to get to the champ imo.

Also regarding Bisping, im sure he would do a better job with his footwork in staying out of the clinch with Okami. Okami had some really good 1,2s to close the gap against Belcher though.