Gane banked $350K for UFC 265 win

I get what you’re saying yes they signed a contract I was just adding my opinion…seems like fighters get screwed either way is all I was getting at… And yes you’re very fortunate to have your job and hope you make double what you’re making someday for 60 hrs a week that’s a lot of work

1 Like

I respect that and I agree they should be paid more. I just don’t hate the UFC for it and I think there has been a lot of progress and there will be more

Absolutely, I’ve been watching since 93 and have missed weddings, birthdays,communions to watch a UFC card…I don’t hate UFC I just wish they promoted their fighters equally and paid the top 10 much more

1 Like

I don’t hate the UFC either, and I’m on their side for 90% of the pay arguments. However, I think their interim HWT champion should make more $. It’s not about what bricklayers make, what your university costs etc…we’re talking about the top 1% of 1%, in a mature professional sport. It’s not as mature as the other major pro sports, but we’re not talking about the early days when there’s limited viewership.

On every thread like this, I say the same thing…I think the biggest area for improvement is in the guys just a tier below the top paid guys. For example…Jon Jones has said he makes 5-6M per fight. He fought Thiago Santos, and it was a close fight. Thiago’s next fight was for 80k/80k. I know dude signed the contract, it’s his own fault blah blah blah. My point isn’t that he’s getting fucked. I just think that the guys a tier below the best of the best should make more $.

Champs should be the top paid, but I don’t think it should be $6M vs 80K. Stephen Thomson makes like $350K. Good payday for him, but if the decision went the other way against Woodley, he’s making $1M+. I don’t think the gap should be that big.

Alexander Gustaffson is another good example. He made $130K to fight Werdum. He’s been as close as you can possibly get to a world title. Pushed Jones to his absolute limit, and many think he won the fight (I thought Jon won). Also had the split decision loss in a title fight to DC. Amazingly exciting fights with 2 of the best to ever to it…and if one judge scores one more round his way, he’s making millions. I think those other elite guys should make more $. I think the biggest gap in % of pay should be the guys inside the top 15 or so, and the guys outside it. If you’re headlining events, fighting for world title etc, I feel like that’s where the additional money should go…not improving the pay for the entry level fighters who may not be with the company in 6 months.

I don’t hate the UFC, am not crying myself to sleep about what guys get paid…however, when people bring up the topic of fighter pay and what’s fair, what’s not…I would like to see the guys right below champions get a bit more.

1 Like

He actually “banked” $188K. Is that actually good for a UFC belt holder?

Ultimately, if a guy like Gus makes $350Kish per fight in the 3 title fights, then goes back to $130K per fight after that, he’s not starving…but he’s definitely looking for a job when he retires, and is working until retirement age just like the rest of us. I think if you’re as great as he was, and was one round away from beating 2 of the best fighters we’ve ever seen, you fought for the UFC 16 times, headlined 8 events, you should be very comfortable when you retire. I’m not saying he needs to have $50M in the bank and drive bentley’s and shit…but I think there should be a HUGE gap between him and someone who never really contended for a title.

If I could wave a magic wand and fix one part of the UFC’s payscale, it would be paying those elite guys that weren’t champions a bit more.

2 Likes

don’t tell me 350k in 2021 is a good payday for a heavyweight title fight ,it’s fucking pathetic.
here’s some context, George Foreman talking his pay for a non title scrap in 1990.
31 years ago and they’re low-balling these guys so much it’s a mortal sin.

3 Likes