Thoughts on bare knuckle MMA?

Or dip their wraps in glass

Or if the commission doesn’t like that, this is an alternative

2 Likes

Not really.

BKFC is not great fighting imo.

Some good stuff but basically UFC stand and wang.

Just Bleed!!

As an ammy fighter I hope it’s the future. I’m all for getting rid of as many rules as possible that only exist to make fights more “exciting” or palatable.

Gloves aren’t really legal to protect your hands, they’re there so you can throw unrealistically hard punches, get more KO’s, and cause fewer cuts so the damage fighters take is less visible so fans and marketers feel better about it.

1 Like

Way back in the day when the little gloves were adopted I heard more than a handful of folks say that it would make the sport more dangerous, because you could punch much harder without fear of breaking your hands.

Bare knuckle you should in theory see more bodyshots, more jiu-jitsu, clinching etc.

1 Like

You get LESS brain damage with bare knuckle. Gloves protect hands, not heads.

2 Likes

Ha was gonna say it was already the past.

I imagine you’ll get some talented guys mixed in who want to be the “king” of something like that. Look at someone like Thiago Alves…he’s champion in BKFC, and talking in interviews like nobody can touch him in that ruleset, saying he’s the best in the world in that ruleset etc. If the MMA version starts to get big, I could see some guys choose that over re-signing with the UFC for more $ in the short term, along with being a “star.”

Look at Bec Rawlings…she was cut from the UFC, fun fighter, but not a great record in the UFC, gets head kicked and stopped by PVZ, who stops fucking nobody…and she’s now knocking people’s teeth out, makes way better $ than she did in the UFC, and got $ from Bellator because of it.

I don’t think you’ll get top 5 UFC guys in either BKFC or MMA, but there may be a really good fighter or two who ends up over there, wins a ton and talks shit about how they could have been a UFC champ had they taken the shit money the UFC offered etc.

3 Likes

I read it’s some strange loophole where gloves are required but for some reason not over the knuckles? Can’t remember the exact nuance but it’s what allows it to go on and it’s why you see BKFC fighters wearing wraps that go up their hand.

2 Likes

Looks like people have forgotten the good old days:

2 Likes

Headbutts and soccer-kicks are a whole diff animal though…

1 Like

For you newer fans that don’t remember,this sport started as bare knuckle. I loved it better back then. Now it’s an oversaturated market filled with rounds of point fighting stocked full of fighters I could care less about.

I used to be a hardcore fan. Now I can’t think of a single fight that I am excited about.

Bring back the bare knuckle fights. I’ll watch that over the UFC

1 Like

Theoretically no gloves would lead to more grappling yes? The risk of injuring your hands when landing punches – or actually breaking your hand during the fight – would lead to more takedowns, which may or may not lead to more submissions. Seems like a recipe for a lot of lay n pray.

I don’t see this happening in the ufc because knockouts sell. I’m with you in that the sport has become watered down, but there are still fights i look forward to. I’m not sure its the gloves that have lessened my interest. More so the number of events and fighters which makes it harder to follow.

I think the ufc brass, the fans and the sponsors want more stand up, more knockouts, not more grappling.

Agreed and it’s ruining the sport imo.

I agree. There are WAY too many kickboxing matches that pass for mma these days. I personally love watching guys like Charles Oliveira, Bryce Mitchell, Demian Maia, etc.

But you notice how many times fans start booing shortly after the fight hits the ground? If there isn’t a submission within 30 seconds fans get restless.

1 Like

The expansion of the sport really has found a dumbed down fan base.

I was chatting the other day with someone who said they are an MMA fighter and has never even stepped into a BJJ or wrestling class and when asked why he stated that all he needed was take down defense.

When asked his record was 0-3 and he lost 2 by KO and one by sub.

He was more proud to have lost by KO than by the sub which he described as some kind or squeeze with his arm in around the neck.

1 Like

Bare knuckle Mma??? Oh you mean vale tudo/ ufc 1 etc etc etc.

What’s old is new and what’s new is old.

I found that amusing that a few people are wondering what it’s like and how it would go etc.

Go back to the 90s and find out.

I see your point but the sport is so much different now than it was back then.

It’s like saying that we know what leather helmets would look like if used in today’s NFL since we saw it in a previous incarnation of the game.

I have noticed this less and less. In fact, you will hear people cheering for transitions and sweeps now. It has changed a lot.