Thoughts on bare knuckle MMA?

Is it the future, or a fad? I watched some of Masvidal’s event and was intrigued about the future.

I would like to know what the fighters on the forum think.

I have no interest

Very interested in theory. It completely changes the game. Unfortunately, it won’t be able to aquire the level of talent or audience to compete with standard MMA - hands are delicate and you’re looking at a lifetime of issues if you mess up your fingers, nerves, etc. There will be some lower level talent who need the money, but it just won’t be comparable to unified rules MMA. Sad.

2 Likes

Fad.
Zero interest.
Not enough money or talent.

BKFC is the new UFC.

we’d need big names doin it to make it interesting enough

I’m not a huge fan of either, frankly. I don’t NEED to see all the cuts, and I don’t think removing the gloves makes it all that much easier to knock guys out. If you hit the guy clean with the small MMA gloves, it doesn’t take enough off the punch to stop the guy from getting dropped…so I think removing the gloves only really adds to the cuts/blood.

If some new football league started playing without helmets or something, I wouldn’t find it super compelling either.

I’m still into BKFC, and the bare knuckle MMA, but that’s because I like all combat sports…but I’m not more intrigued by it being bare knuckle. I’m actually less into it when guys are taking additional damage in the form of cuts just so the promoter can basically say it’s more hardcore. Also, what dude said above about the guys fucking up their hands for life, I don’t NEED to see guys fucking up their hands and bleeding everywhere just to feel like it’s more badass.

2 Likes

I bet the gloves make things a lot less “real” than we know.

1 Like

I didnt see it. Is it regular unified rules other than no gloves?

If it had kicks/knees to grounded opponents, headbutts and something different to 5 minute rounds i’d be interested.

2 Likes

Gimme Pride rules anyway.

1 Like

I’ve been hit by just about every strike possible, and I’d much rather eat a bare fist than a knee to the face, or shin to the jaw etc.

Yes, a bare fist stings a bit more than a gloved fist, but it’s still levels below some of the other shit guys get hit with in MMA.

BKFC does have some appeal though because we’re talking about regular boxing with big gloves and no gloves…but I don’t get the bare knuckle MMA at all. Like, you can already elbow/knee/kick dudes in the face, and the gloves mostly help avoid superficial cuts and broken hands. I don’t think removing the gloves changes a whole lot in MMA…with the exception of more cuts/scars and broken hands.

4 Likes

Broken hands aren’t a minor issue when you factor in the economics. Fighters fight for a living these days…why take the risk of a broken hand when there are gloved fights available? You’ll only get the lowest level of talent, or the desperate and washed up, to bite on something like this.

This.

Back to the original UFC rules.

1 Like

good points

MMA is still bare elbow, bare shin etc as you say

fuck you then

Can anyone with experience speak to how it would change grappling exchanges, wrist control, and hand fighting?

1 Like

The problem is that guys are punching bare handed the same way that they were taught to punch with wraps and gloves on. Recipe for broken hands.

The mechanics for punching bare knuckle are very different.

1eb9fe86bd1163932c0648d01e91ace7

2 Likes

If I still fought , I’d love to do it . Little more brain damage wouldn’t hurt lol

1 Like

I’m surprised the athletic commissions are allowing it. I just figured gloves were a requirement. Apparently not.

This. What type of fighter is going to fight bare knuckle now? You will only get washed up mma fighters or boxers and neither will be able to sustain a career for long

I’m fine with bare knuckle but my excitement for it has died down after watching a few events

I’d rather see tough man contests come back