2007 Resolutions

Here are my resolutions for the new year:

1) I will become ranked in Boxe Francaise Savate. I will spend time each week focused on training my Savate.

2) I will increase the amount of BJJ training I do each week with training partners outside of class. I will try to get it consistently above 5 hours/week.

3) I will do all of those BJJ combinations that Mr. Harris asked us to. (I've done a few....but certainly haven't put a dent in the list yet)

4) I will make a focused effort to improve my conditioning and athleticism. (Kettlebellllllllllls!)

5) I will continue to grow my school. I will fill the new kids' classes and I will bring in new adults (both via the new systems I am implementing and the marketing help I have been receiving).

Happy New Year.

~Chris

www.modernselfdefense.com

Nobody else has '07 resolutions yet???

1. Improve my stand-up grappling game (clinch) both gi and no-gi.

1. Improve my positions of weakness (particularly half guard and turtle position, both top and bottom)
    2. Conditioning will become a priority, I will work at least as hard on strength training as I do on skill development.
    3. Add breadth to my game. Not worry as much about remembering techniques as having faith that I will see them again and pushing ahead to experience the whole game from a 'bigger picture', then I will go back later and tune up the basics again (like I have been doing)
    4. Train MMA as well as BJJ/Sub Grappling.

this year I got my bb in judo, and my blue belt in bjj (from Rob Kahn). Sad thing is, due to school I still think I wasn't anywhere near my level to where I would feel comfortable with them. Add that to the fact that I spent the load of the year training other people more than me. So my resolution is to focus on me and me alone. I'll help people, but I gotta start looking out for me now. I want to be a purple in less than two years and to get my 2nd degree bb in judo before I finish grad school in two years, so I have work I have to do. Going back to basics technique wise, and then working out on my own again.

We'll see if i can actually stick to it and do it, but my plan is to train twice a day monday through thursday, and saturdays as well. Fridays there is no class but open mat, so i'll do that too. So here's how i'm hoping my schedual will look, we'll see if i actually go through with it:

Monday:
7:30-9:00 BJJ
10:00-11:45 Wrestling

Tuesday:
6:00-7:30 Muay Thai
7:30-9:00 Wrestling

Wednesday:
10:00-11:45 Wrestling

Thursday:
6:00-7:30 Muay Thai

Friday:
6:00-whenever Openmat rolling

Saturday:
10:00-11:30 BJJ
11:30-whenever Muay Thai sparring.

Sunday:
NOTHING

I'm thinking i'll do morning training on thursdays and tuesdays whenever i can, and hopefully add some strength/conditioning into the mix there as well (i prefer kettlebells but there are none around, so i thought maybe the Couture routine?). I'm thinking i should maybe talk to one of my bros about going lifting with me, since i'm too lazy to do that shit on my own, i don't have problems getting motivated for BJJ though.

Then again, i got tired just typing that up, but i'm hoping i'll mostly be doing research next quarter and i'm done pledging, so i should ahve a flexible schedual and training IS the reason i'm here.

stay healthy, I was out for 95% of this year with two bad injuries.

I have some but many have nothing to do with Bjj or training. But here are the ones that do:

1) Quality over quantity and if I increase the quantity make sure it is of high quality.

2) Drill/practice more boxing and Muay Thai.

3) Keep things simple. Remember to consider the basics. Look at and strengthen the roots and not the tree; make sure that I can do the basics very well.

4) Consider and dilligently study the games of Bjj fighters whose physique/body shape are similar to mine.

5) Continually practice and develop good practice routine to follow

6) Consistently work on my conditioning

1) Stay injury free
2) Raise my game to purple belt level
3) Be consistant with conditioning and diet.
4) Do something everyday to improve (watch dvds, workout, drills, etc.)

Monday: 7:30-9:00 BJJ 10:00-11:45 Wrestling

Tuesday: 6:00-7:30 Muay Thai 7:30-9:00 Wrestling

Wednesday: 7:30-9:00 BJJ 10:00-11:45 Wrestling

Thursday: 6:00-7:30 Muay Thai 7:30-9:00 BJJ

Friday: 6:00-whenever Openmat rolling

Saturday: 10:00-11:30 BJJ 11:30-whenever Muay Thai sparring.

Sunday: NOTHING

Bastard.

My resolution is to ditch the wife and kids and use dracovitch's training schedule.

a tru savateur does not care about ranking that is very unfrench we care about how to look cool whil dressed like a pirate doing leg fencing and fistcuffs

No worries nowhereman, i have a trackrecord of big plans and not following through on them.

SS,

I don't care about ranking, BUT the system requires it (for teaching and for competing). Because I'm a school owner, it makes me look "more official" for potential students.

And I already look cool, so check that off. ;)

My resolution is to begin training again with consistency. I can count on one hand the number of times I've trained in the past 6 months, and I'm ashamed of that. But life has changed, with a more intense job and a 1 year old at home now. I just have to schedule the time at the gym and time to train. This thread is giving me some motivation, thanks.

eat better, lose weight, compete once.

Eat more.

Stay healthy/injury free.

Improve conditioning.

Improve butterfly guard.

Increase number of TMA dojo's I go to and throw out challanges 

Actually, As a guy who's worked position forever I'm going to start a bit of focus on submissions.

I want to get  more finishes from mount.

1) Stay injury free

2) be consistent in training

Ohh i have one more, although out of all the ones i just threw out, this one is probably the least likely to come true.

I really want to take 2-3 standup fights this year. When doing MMA i have no confidence in my standup (and rightly so lol) and i feel the only way to get over my overly safe way of trying to play standup in an MMA match, is to actually have standup fights. I think that having multiple BJJ/SW matches immensely helped my grappling game, in terms of not being afraid of letting it go and going for stuff outside the training room, so i can only assume that striking competition would have the same effect.

But like i said, i'm so partial to train BJJ that i tend to put everything else on the backburner :/

actually catch someone with a) bicep slicer and b) gogoplata