52 Blocks(Cont'd): Part Deux

i do not have the book yet, but i've seen it and FlashGordon2002 is correct about the prisoner's outfits that CM Newsome and his partner donned.

Very Keystone Cops. I think they may have explained the reasoning behind the uniforms in the text or captions, but I don't recall offhand.

Jason

In the discussion of the striped uniforms, it's worth
bearing in mind that publishers (in this case Unique)
have the final say in choice of illustrations.
Authors, in this case John Soet, have a little more
say. We may be jumping to conclusions if we assume
Mestre Newsome (his mestre promoted him last year)
chose what he and his uke are wearing in MA of the
World II. In fact, if you go to Newsome's website
(http://www.malandros-touro.com/), you'll see that the
photos of JHR there have a less cliched dress code.
OTOH, Max Sennet flicks aside, stripes were worn by
prisoners in the southern U.S. well into the 20th
century. See, for example,
http://www.leegallery.com/prefeb20003.html for a
Walker Evans photo of convicts wearing stripes in
1935. Jason, I think I remember the same kind of
explanation in the text, too. Can't lay hands on my
copy at the moment either. Sorry

Tom

welcome to the forum Tom.

Thanks, Stickgrappler and thanks for your work on the Archives.

I dug out my copy of MA Around the World II, but no explanation in the text about the choice of attire. Of course nobody else's gear is explained either. There is an intro to the JHR section that discusses a tie-in between fighting styles, social conditions, and prisons in the South. Maybe that's what I was thnking about when I connected the stripes and the southern U.S.

Tom

re: uniform - it could be the price of getting published. i cannot imagine CM Newsome willingly agreeing to photos in those uniforms.Thanks, Stickgrappler and thanks for your work on the Archives. it's a work in progress, lately i have had less and less time to work on it. i'm not satisfied with it yet.below is Tom's URL of imageWALKER EVANS
Convicts, American South
ca. 1935, silver print, ca. 1930s
5 1/2 x 4 1/4, $8500

Those uniforms remind of the movie "LIFE" with Eddie Murphy and Martin Lawrence. Everyone wore those striped uniforms in the movie, which I believe took place in the south.

Hey guys,

Sorry to keep you hanging. Met with K today. He's psyched for the get together -- demo / seminar whatever we're calling it. He came out of prison looking more fit than he's ever been -- strong as shit but not overly bulky.

Just gotta figure out a time and place that works for folks... Stickgrappler, lemme know if you're friend is still an option.

(I'm definitely gonna need Daniel on hand, too, K is not playing around if anyone thinks this is gonna be a 52 Blocks "challenge," he warned me he's hitting for real.)

Doug,

i think we may have to take him out of the picture. he's leaving 6/11.

if you have a date set prior to 6/11, say 6/8 sunday, i will check with him. he may be able to line up the gym. the earlier the better. not sure about 6/7.

i will email you in a few mins.

the WorldBeat Center looks like a cool place to hang out.

Take plenty of notes and photos, guys.

I'm very curious about how this all turns out.

as a backup, forum member odu emailed me saying he has a place - emailed Doug already about it.

Doug may have a place lined up through Daniel. just need to finalize a date.

Q to Doug and Daniel: do you think this will be a one-time thing or will this happen again?

this is kind of exciting!

Stick,

I think K would probably like to do it on a semi-regular basis, if it's feasible. Also, I understand that more people might want to see this than can be present on just one given date. Beyond the 52 Blocks demo, I think a lot of people would be interested in hearing just what sorts of stuff REALLY works in prison confrontations.
K and I had a long talk about that over lunch this week-- you know the endless arguments on this forum about which style is more effective in the real world. It would be kind of cool to have someone who really knowns BJJ there and have K show what would happen in prison if you tried some of that stuff.

They do have prison takedowns and leg sweeps and some aspects of wrestling, but as you can all imagine, once you're really clenched up with a guy, everything goes. That's why there's such a high premium put on unorthodox and potentially devastating strikes...

Man, You guys get all of the fun.
I wish I could be there.
For all of you ney sayers, I hope you will humble yourselves when you see 52/JHR in action.

You are very fortunate to have this person share this cultural treasure with you. Not many would.

Peace & Blessings!

Darrell Sarjeant

Doug or Hy

Sorry to be a pain but can you post the details about your book again. I got the info last time did the rounds around London trying to find it but it had sold out.

Then the war came along etc etc, just started to go back to the bookshops but they have no record of ordering it for me.

So I am back to square one and I (and they)have lost the details.

Cheers

Boyscout,

Thanks. It's called "Street Kingdom: Five Years Inside the Franklin Avenue Posse."

You can still buy it online in paperback a few places, Amazon.com, B&N.com, if you're in England, perhaps Amazon.co.uk. or W H Smith:

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/WHS/Go.asp?isbn=0613280903&DB=224

Otherwise, there are a lot of used hardcover editions or remainders being sold on the Net for cheap -- $2 or $3 bucks sometimes.

Lemme know if you have any trouble; I can hook you up.

*EDITED For atrocious spelling*

Cheers Doug, I retry and if I have no luck I drop you an email.

TTT

Bustr:

No I have not. At least, I dont recall making any post.

Darrell Sarjeant
www.blackbelts.ca/swssd/index.cfm