52 Blocks/Jailhouse Rock

odu -

you make some very interesting point - i stated that there was no direct link that i know of - but it stood to reason that it traveled to madagascar - however - in light of some things you say - like no foriegn terms were retained - i tend now to think a little differently - i still dont see how something being in madagascar, would filter into main land africa, but like i said - you make very interesting points - as far as where i have see the JHR - there were series of moves published in various articles - and thats the stuff that looked like silat -

interestingly enough - there was a show on the discovery channel call stick fighters and ceramic plates the same tribe which has sticking fighting as a inter and intra tribe "compition", still have the woman pierce and insert cermamic plate in there lower lip- this compition not only gets the winner fame and celebrity, but also gets the winner many marriage proposals - you become the biggest stud in the land - but they didnt say where they were from ,only
mentioned the name of the tribe once - which wasnt enough for me to get the name down - and i call it a crude style, only because thats how it looks as opposed to other, more fluid styles - i'm suprised your not familiar with it. i have seen 2 different documentaries on it within 6 months

again - i truely appricate all the light you are shedding on the african arts - please dont stop educating us on it . and keep up the good work

oh and because tis is the net, and you cant her inflections in peoples voices, dont take what is mearly a wuestion, or something thrown out as a possiblity as someone tring to fight or discredit you - everyone always takes whats written the wrong way and fights are started over total misunderstandings

Sreiter---No harm, no foul. I think it's useful to ask those questions (providing there's enough of a historical reason to do so), especially since there's a market in teaching fraudulent African martial arts. There are certainly teachers out there who have learnt silat, arnis, tae kwon do and what have you, put on a stereotypically 'African' uniform and claim that they're doing African martial arts.

I think the staff style you are talking about is Donga, performed by Surma men.

donga - i think thats it - sounds very familiar

thanx

52 blocks is bullshit. Looks like Shito-Ryu Karate to me.

Joey, either you've been conned by a karate guy into htinking he does 52 hand blocks, or yer talking out yer butt. Nothing from 52 that I've seen looks anything like Shito-ryu - footwork, hand and foot techniques, stance work, nothing. They don't even wear uniforms. Of course, knowing you, maybe it's because the 52 HB guy and the shito guy were both black? (For those who don't know, Joey has some issues with black people).

Fair enough, but I've seen similar elbow work from Muy Thai fighters as well (used to train with one).

Odu, Takedown, anyone else who can comment-

I've got an opinion and I'm guessing it's not far off from you guys also. Let me have your thoughts on the "Afrikan Martial Arts" movements. By that I am specifically referring to such arts as Ta-Merrian with Kilindi Iyi, the Kupigana Ngumi people, etc.

If it's something you'd rather discuss offline, my address should be in my profile.

Jason

[Double post again- I think they actually fixed my mod powers (haven't tried 'em yet), but ever since I've been double posting- very annoying]

new news:

i just received an email from someone in the UK researching JHR and came across my site. he is saying he learned something called "jailhouse rock" 20 yrs ago and he or his instructor is white.

when i have more info, i will post.

Jason,

did you hook up with lnd_1313?

Never heard from him.

Jason

Sweet. Keep us posted Stick.

Saw Omar the other day. I have his number. I'll try to arrange lunch with me and Stickgrappler one day soon.

COOL!! thanks e.kaye! black cypher here we come.

LOL! i was just about to make a thread about this too. TTT for later.

TTT

ttt any new info?

i got a little busy and could not continue with my emails with the UK practitioner. i will email him now.

greetings members,

I'm a member of Amakhanda African martial arts researchers.look for more of our posts concerning jailhouse rock.

welcome to the forum khamesse! i for one definitely will look forward to your posts re: JHR. i know this forum also will be as interested as i in your posts.

Greetings members,

There seem to be a lot of people asking about JHR/52.Amakhanda has extensive knowledge of JHR/52,and one of our members is a practitioner of JHR,who has learnt from and is in contact with master practitioners of JHR. Therefore we can speak with authority on this subject.

We know and have contact with people such as Dennis Newsome and others, who have extensive knowledge of JHR techniques, history and philosophy.

Some of the posts written on this forum on JHR are good, thus indicating that some individuals know what they are talking about. Unfortunately some posts are bad, written by people who know nothing about JHR.

First JHR is a black american fighting system, simply modern variations of African fighting styles dating back to slavery.JHR developed and mutated within the prison systems, hence different variations and stylistic names according to different prisons.

When many former prisoners were released, this style spread amongst black american neighbourhoods; and in the streets this black american African derived fighting style evolved.JHR has evolved into a devestating fighting system, modern western boxers, wrestlers, and oriental style martial artists, are wiped out within minutes when facing a JHR fighter.Dennis Newsome has faced many martial artists in REAL STREET FIGHTS anything goes, and basically destroyed them using JHR/52 BLOCKS.

In the black neighbourhoods children used a sanitised version of JHR called baby JHR according to Dennis Newsome, and often it's refered to as slap boxing.In the streets of New York as a child this is the first form of JHR Dennis was introduced to, before learning the real combat version JHR from a master 52/blocks fighter.

In JHR a lot of emphasis is placed on knees, elbows and headbutts when in close, with fast punches. According to Amakhanda member and JHR practitioner Mr Johnson there is theory to JHR. As an example they have a theory called sugaring, basically leaving deliberate openings in your defenses hence the term sugaring to provide a sweetner drawing someone in before delivering the salt i.e counter attacking.

JHR training takes place anywhere in gyms, backyards or someones sitting room. Most training is hidden and not open to public observation.

khamesse

Amakhanda African martial arts researchers

my problem with any claim that an art has been around for centuries and traces back to another continent is always the same - proof. of course, that's the same problem I have with stories of a fighter winning lots of street fights. where were these fights, who was the opponent, what were the conditions, why don't we see it in modern professional MMA, etc.

any thoughts on those topics would be appreciated. thanks.