6 Prospects That Could Revive the UFC MW Division

A few years ago the UFC brought in several serious prospects into the heavyweight division at about the same time. Good match making and time for them to develop lead to a great success. We now see a different looking heavyweight division. No longer is the heavyweight title changing hands between Tim Sylvia and Andrei Arlovski. The division was so weak that Randy Couture came out of retirement becaue he noticed the problem and blew through Sylviua to get the title. There are now elite heavyweights on the UFC roster.

Those heavyweights were Brock Lesnar, Shane Carwin, Junio Dos Santos and Cain Velasquez. Lesnar debuted at UFC 81. Carwin debuted at UFC 84. Dos Santos debuted at UFC 90. Cain Velasquez debuted at UFC 83. Sicne their debut these guys now rule the division.

The UFC's middleweight division needs the same type of influx. The good news is the talent is there. I might suggest a few prospects for the UFC to sign that could mirror the rise of the heavyweight division.

That process begins with a hot prospect by the name of Chris Weidman (4-0). Weidman is a wrestler with great hands. He trains out of Serra-Longo gym in New York. Those who know what they are talking about rave about his skills. His hype reminds me of the hype behind Cain Velasquez. A miss on Weidman would be bad news. Think middleweight Cain Velasquez.

Then we have to consider a European prospect by the name of Papy Abedi (8-0). He has a judo background, but is tearing up the Euro circuit.

Also, England has a middleweight by the name of Jimi Manuwa (9-0) who seems to have great stand-up skills. There is no one left for him to fight in the U.K. I think Manuwa is the U.K.'s best hope of a champion in the UFC.

There is also a trio of Brazilian middleweights who could be a force. There names are Bruno Santos (8-0), Marcos Rogerio de Lima (8-0) and Vitor Vianna (10-1). Santos is young, but he is very skilled. He may be the least likely to challenge for a UFC title right now, but he has tons of upsdie because he is so young. Vianna trains with Wanderlei Silva and desperately wants a shot in the UFC. Marocs Rogerio de Lima burst onto the scene out of nowhere with a victory over Paulo Filho, which is no joke.

The UFC needs middleweight challengers and eventually they will need someone to replace Anderson Silva. If the UFC signed these guys today it would take about 2 years to properly develop them into champions. The UFC needs to sign these guys yesterday.

http://mmaplanet.wordpress.com/2010/12/28/middleweight-talent-abounds/

Jimi Manuwa is a regular poster here...cant remember his SN though.

He's the real deal. I think he beats Bisping today.

If the UFC gets 3 of those guys they'd be doing well. Bellator seems to be doing a good job securing talent. Anyone know if they will have MW tournament in upcoming season?

First name I looked for is Weidman.  He's a lock for the UFC.  Good to see him in there.

Jimi Manuwa fights at light heavy, although he is on the small side there.

TheGARV -  First name I looked for is Weidman.  He's a lock for the UFC.  Good to see him in there.

I see his is fighting at ROC in February. You think he's waiting for UFC offer? I know he tried out for TUF, but they axed MWs.

jjj2121 -  Jimi Manuwa fights at light heavy, although he is on the small side there.

I am pretty sure he has fought at MW and that is where he would fight in the UFC. Not 100% on that one.

Monsters Ball - 
Monsters Ball - 
Mulletron5000 -  Jimi Manuwa is a regular poster here...cant remember his SN though.

Posterboy
 <a title="Posterboy's Stats" href="../../../../../mma.cfm?go=stats.redirectUserToFighter&user=297556" target="profile" class="ProfileComment-f">Posterboy</a> 

That's not up to date. He just beat Valentino Petrescu, which is a good win.

MMAPlanet - 
jjj2121 -  Jimi Manuwa fights at light heavy, although he is on the small side there.

I am pretty sure he has fought at MW and that is where he would fight in the UFC. Not 100% on that one.

I asked him here, he said LHW for now but open to moving in future if that was in his best interest.

posterboy...thanks MB

MMAPlanet - 
TheGARV -  First name I looked for is Weidman.  He's a lock for the UFC.  Good to see him in there.

I see his is fighting at ROC in February. You think he's waiting for UFC offer? I know he tried out for TUF, but they axed MWs.

I know the UFC keeps their eye on the ROC for prospects, so he's definitely on their watch list.  If he keeps destroying guys, it will only take another fight or two before he gets signed imo.

Second sentence of the seventh paragraph, "there" should be "their". Sorry for being a grammar nazi, just trying to help :)

I've heard good things about Weidman. There's a good video on Youtube of him grappling against the UG's own James Brasco.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYl68v3FihA

Manuwa's last fight, blue namer

good article

another good prospect at mw out of serra longo is costa phillipou...also fighting in ROC. missed an oppurtunity to make TUF after dominating his qualification fight but getting caught in an arm bar....still one to watch for.

Weidman and Phillipou are complete studs. I actually thought Phillipou was going to win TUF 11 when he was announced as the cast of 28. Still think he has a bright future.

Weidman, don't be surprised if TUF 14 goes MW and he's in the cast. He's a complete beast.