A dying breed of fighter...

Yea, times like these really make you appreciate the guys who built this sport. MMA was built by guys fighting multiple times a night against last minute opponents. I wonder what a guy like Chuck, wanderlei or Igor Vovchanchyn think about stuff like this ufc jones debacle

Pro Ice -  There are a few of them still out there, fighters that just love to fight . Lots of greats have been mentioned here's a couple other that would fight anyone, anytime

Kanehara
Kohsaka 
Takahashi
Matsui
Menjivar
Menne
Pele
Bustamante
Suloev
Vovchanchyn

Good list.. The only problem
Is none of them can carry the sport :/ and that's what we need right now Phone Post

OnlyTheStrongSurvive - I know Jones turned down the fight, but you also had the top 4 middleweights willing to step up short notice. Even in 8 days. Some guys still have it Phone Post

I agree man... And I gained a ton of respect for a few of those middle weights this week. Phone Post

How anyone fails to put Chris Lytle on that list, baffles me.    They are a few guys out there now that are anywhere anytime guys.    Here are few that come to mind:

Both Diaz Brothers.

Donald Cerrone

Pat Berry

The "NEW" Brandon Vera

The "Revived" Jamie Varner

Joe Lauzon

Tim Kennedy

Cain Velasquez (could carry the heavyweight division along with the latino viewship)

Anthony Pettis

Jose Aldo

And those company men that are still out there like Franklin, Vitor, and Wandy.  <-- all of which will be HOF. 

My biggest fear is, some fighter outgrowing the UFC tag.  The label UFC champ is more important in MMA than any one fighter.  But Jone's pulling out of a fight was the first time I've ever witnessed one guy placing himself above the label.  What killed boxing (one of many things I should say) were the numerous titles and fabricated weight classes.  I understand the WBC is still recognized as the lagitimate title.  But there's a host of other promotions that recognize other fighters.  What if the UFC was turn into pro boxing and fighters could honestly duck and pluck away at their own fights?  In a previous write up I talked about protecting records and how that doesn't matter at the upper promotions.  Jones ducking out was a sad day for MMA and possibly a forcast into the future of Big Name fighters.

LOL@ Fedor being on that list.
Clearly his fighting freakshows and avoiding the UFC had NOTHING to do with business...it was all for the love of MMA! What a warrior!

The will to fight was one of my the main allures to mma for me. It's looked at as a sport 1st ad fight 2nd now.
The main person I blame is Greg Frickin Jackson. He's turned beasts like Gsp and Condit into tame point fighters. It's all about fighting not to lose with him. Since the judging and rules benefit his philosophy on mma, he will continue to win. More and more fighters follow suit with this New Nerfed style of mma.
IMO the peak of mma is long gone. Mma will continue to decline. The exciting "Fights" are few and far in between. Unless the rules and judging change ppl like Greg Jackson will continue to flourish as ruin our sport.
I wouldn't b surprised if in 5 years we will no longer see fighters take fights on short notice. Everyone's gonna b too scared to lose. They'll all want 4months to watch tape on their opponents and develop "strategies". Most fighters will no longer try to finish because as most of us know going for a finish is usually the biggest risk in a fight. Phone Post

Thiaguy - DanielCaton - "The label UFC champ is more important in MMA than any one fighter."

Wow you're one of those "fans" I see. Pathetic

It was in refering to the idea of the organization representing the sport.  Nothing to do with the buisness aspects of it.  Without Pride, it's the main concept that keeps it from becoming like boxings.  And in the idea of "one of those fans"...really?  Please, explain your comment?  Because I'm not going to flame you or turn this into a piss contest; I refuse to do so. 

But if me pointing out that the organization is the main stream acceptance of the sport of MMA over any one fighter places me; somehow in a negative light, then so be it.  I see no logic in your assesment of "fanhood".  I'm very much a fan of many fighters, but I'm a realist and without the UFC, MMA in large would be diluted to what it was a decade ago.  So if that's your take, yes, I'm very much "one of those fans." 

I miss that "Anyone, Anytime, Anywhere." Attitude

genshi - I miss that "Anyone, Anytime, Anywhere." Attitude

This Phone Post

Not to mention guys back then mostly fought more than once per night.

How has Pat Miletich not been mentioned yet? His first 8 pro MMA fights were all in 3 nights.

Won first 3 MMA fights in one night on October 28th 1995.

Won his next 2 fights in one night on Jan. 20th 1996

Less than a month later, He won his next 3 fights in one night on Feb. 10th 1996.

He won his first 15 pro fights before losing to Matt Hume.

He won the UFC lightweight tournament and was the UFC's first welterweight champion, defending the title 5 times.

Dude is a fucking boss and a legend. Phone Post  

Thiaguy - Not to rain down on the parade or be a dick (this is just something that has annoyed me) but Liddell fought Babula on short notice! Babula! Really, it was an easy fight for him. Can we please stop with this lol.

Through out Liddell's run he was spoonfed grapplers who were out matched on the feet also

BJ Penn fought Machida. That's budo

Sonnen on 8 days notice with no training time was willing to step up and fight Jones who had had a full training camp

Say what you want about Sonnen , but the man has budo!

Hendo fought Fedor too. Hendo is a warrior

Shogun accepted a fight with Jones on short notice, when he shouldn't have, and while he was coming off surgery to boot.

Shogun is fearless and is a warrior. It's not just that, Shogun shows the heart of a lion in all his fights. Shogun's will to win is unbreakable and he's always pushing for the KO (even when gassed)

And there's many examples from more ect

The current fighters out today simply don't have the same budo.It's a shame

I completely agree for the most part. BJ Penn is my all time favorite fighter period! Sonnen, regardless of the crazy shit he says, is always game... and Hendo and Shogun are living legends!

I have a huge amount of respect for Chuck too though. How can you not? His fighting style, willingness to fight, and heart should be enough to make anyone a fan.

Bullshit priME CHUCK would be contender or even have legit chance to beat jones

Huge power wuth great wrestling an aggression and good size at lhw Phone Post

wreckker - Bullshit priME CHUCK would be contender or even have legit chance to beat jones

Huge power wuth great wrestling an aggression and good size at lhw Phone Post

Prime Chuck would have stuffed his takedown attempts then put Bones to sleep.. Its science Phone Post

Minowman should be on this list. He would and just about has fought everyone. Phone Post

One of the GOAT's! Great spirit, great fighter, great person.

A true fighter, sort of like Morales. You hit Chuck and he almost takes offense to it and he starts throwing back. It's a shame he and Wandy fought on the downslope of their careers. They still put on a war though.

I was actually thinking about the exact same thing not too long ago. The top new fighters are more professional than anything else. The old school champions were fighters first.

Radio Raheem - Not to mention guys back then mostly fought more than once per night.

How has Pat Miletich not been mentioned yet? His first 8 pro MMA fights were all in 3 nights.

Won first 3 MMA fights in one night on October 28th 1995.

Won his next 2 fights in one night on Jan. 20th 1996

Less than a month later, He won his next 3 fights in one night on Feb. 10th 1996.

He won his first 15 pro fights before losing to Matt Hume.

He won the UFC lightweight tournament and was the UFC's first welterweight champion, defending the title 5 times.

Dude is a fucking boss and a legend. Phone Post  

Re Pat Miletich, YES... GOAT of a different era:

My god I just pictured a prime chuck vs Anderson. Id literally pay 1000 to see that Phone Post