A question for the Irish UGer's

TeePeeHaych - Good luck claiming to be Irish, not having an Irish accent and being accepted as one of their own. Phone Post 3.0

ahem
Shane McGowan

The general public have no idea who Fury is. Phone Post 3.0

Fury is generally not liked by the British and Irish public.

His comparing of Gays with Paedo's didn't go down very well.

He's also deeply religious which again marginalises him. Phone Post 3.0

Plus he's an absolute idiot, probably the most annoying sports star of all time. Phone Post 3.0

McGregor is by far. I was at a poker game last night, and half of the people were asking me who Fury was. Then they switched to talking about McGregor.

Boxing is being overshadowed by MMA here. Growing up here, the likes of Barry McGuigan, Wayne McCullough and Michael Carruth were our sporting heroes. Times have changed. 10 years ago, nobody here knew what the fuck MMA was. Even 5 years ago, most people didn't. But now, everyone watches it.

The biggest boxing star at the moment in Ireland isn't Tyson Fury - but rather, Katie Taylor - for obvious reasons. She's a huge star, but she doesn't receive has as much media attention as McGregor. She is the most accomplished athlete in the history of female boxing, and probably in Irish sporting history. But she's very quiet, and respectful - so there's not much the media can report on outside of her accomplishments.

Even the likes of Andy Lee doesn't get enough respect here. He's the WBO world champion, and when he won the title - he only received a little media coverage for it.

As for Tyson - he's an Irish traveller. His entire extended family come from Ireland. But having an English accent just won't resonate with the Irish people in the same way Katie Taylor or Bernard Dunne can.

Brother rabbitte - Boxing fans here know who tyson fury is but the general public couldnt pick him out of a lineup and everyone in ireland knows who mcgregor is. The most well known boxer here is katie taylor and everyone knows here Phone Post 3.0

This.

I had no idea Tyson Fury had any connection to Ireland to be honest and I never hear anyone talking about him. Conor McGregor on the other hand... Everyone talks about him. I follow MMA and I have people at work (who dont) coming to me with news about him that I havent heard yet! lol

So to answer the question - Conor, by a country mile!

JOB - McGregor is by far. I was at a poker game last night, and half of the people were asking me who Fury was. Then they switched to talking about McGregor.

Boxing is being overshadowed by MMA here. Growing up here, the likes of Barry McGuigan, Wayne McCullough and Michael Carruth were our sporting heroes. Times have changed. 10 years ago, nobody here knew what the fuck MMA was. Even 5 years ago, most people didn't. But now, everyone watches it.

The biggest boxing star at the moment in Ireland isn't Tyson Fury - but rather, Katie Taylor - for obvious reasons. She's a huge star, but she doesn't receive has as much media attention as McGregor. She is the most accomplished athlete in the history of female boxing, and probably in Irish sporting history. But she's very quiet, and respectful - so there's not much the media can report on outside of her accomplishments.

Even the likes of Andy Lee doesn't get enough respect here. He's the WBO world champion, and when he won the title - he only received a little media coverage for it.

As for Tyson - he's an Irish traveller. His entire extended family come from Ireland. But having an English accent just won't resonate with the Irish people in the same way Katie Taylor or Bernard Dunne can.
On the ball there, fury can claim he is one of ours but in reality it has transcended to the Irish public and it won't too easy although now he's champion more people will hear of him, I've watched ufc since the beginning when tuf use be up and down and setanta wouls be covering ppv's to be honest all of my friends watched it before McGregor came on the scene and there was a strong fan base too before conor but now it is nationwide and everyone knows mma and ufc solely thanks to conor but as a long time fan it's great too see. Phone Post 3.0

JOB - McGregor is by far. I was at a poker game last night, and half of the people were asking me who Fury was. Then they switched to talking about McGregor.

Spot on from JOB.

Guys like Steve Collins, McGuigan and Carruth were popular when I was a young un. Bernard Dunne's fight against Cordoba for the belt was amazing but it's not really in the national conscience in the same way that Conor's personality and hype catapult him into the spotlight.

I mean it's great for Conor,but I'm sure that for as many MMA fans there are because of him now there is a huge bandwagon that will stop watching MMA if he loses a few fights.

We have some amazing amateur boxers here that don't get enough credit, many of whom are travellers. I was gutted when this happened to John Joe Nevin (silver medal at 2012 Olympics amongst other accomplishments).

In April 2014, Nevin sustained two broken legs in an assault by a gang of men. This was related to a feud between members of the Quinn, McDonagh and Nevin families.

I think Conor was the most Googled sports star in Ireland for 2014. Phone Post 3.0

Fury and Andy Lee are first cousins as well Phone Post 3.0

I remember reading that about John Joe Nevlin. That sucks that dude can fucking fight like hell.

Chaelismyhero - I remember reading that about John Joe Nevlin. That sucks that dude can fucking fight like hell.
He has fought a few times in tge last month or so. He was a mover so im not sure how the leg breaks will hinder his movements time will tell but with his talent he could be a superstar Phone Post 3.0

Oh yeah wow Nevin has fought 3x since October all here in the states.

The only thing you have to worry about is his reach is crazy short. Now he does have great hand speed which will negate that but still

Everyone over here knows who Conor is. EVERYONE.

Fury isn't even the most popular boxer here. That's Katie Taylor. Katie and Conor were born, bred and they train here. That goes a long way. We love that shit.