A Study in Accuracy: Cecil Peoples Vs. The Rules

Zedlepln - 
but good leg kicks have long been undervalued. Were Cecil to take a leg kick from Shogun, I would venture that he would revise his stance

While I agree with your premise that leg kicks are undervalued (MMA judge once told me he considers it the same as punches to the arms) its hard to use the Shogun power leg kick argument when none of the leg kicks he threw caused Machida to falter or drop.

I disagreed with the decision....but why is everyone piling on Peoples? He was only one of three judges that scored the fight for Machida. Even if he'd gone the other way it still would've been Machida winning by split decision.

Focusing so much on Peoples ignores the larger problem: poor standards for judges and the 10-point must system, which was designed for boxing.

DJLastCall - 
Uncle Justice - Avoiding/resisting takedown attempts is not even COVERED under "effective grappling".  How the hell can it be correct?  LOL

(f) Effective grappling is judged by considering the amount of successful executions of a legal takedown and reversals. Examples of factors to consider are take downs from standing position to mount position, passing the guard to mount position, and bottom position fighters using an active, threatening guard.

Okay, so if its judged based on "successful executions of legal takedowns"....and there ARENT any (because you can't take me down) you're saying that NO ONE utilized effective grappling?

I disagree.

If you can't take me down, I am the better grappler and I should be rewarded on the score cards as such. My effective grappling (read as: defending takedowns) allows me to continue to control the octagon, too.

The rules state that effective grappling is weighed on takedowns, reversals (on the ground), passing guard, and using an active, threatening guard.  Did Lyoto take Shogun down, pass his guard, or use an active guard against him?  No.  So he doesn't get the point for "effective grappling".  FYI, there was no grappling in this fight.

As I already said, defending takedowns is covered under octagon control and effective defense.  Grappling covers "grappling", shaking off a takedown on your feet isn't categorized in the unified rules under "grappling", but under defense and control.

I don't really think it makes sense to disagree with the specifications of the rules.

gangsta101 - Octagon Control

1. The fighter who is dictating the pace, place and position of the fight.

2. A striker who fends off a grappler's takedown attempt to remain standing and effectively strike is octagon control.

3. A grappler who can takedown an effective standing striker to ground fight is octagon control.

4. The fighter on the ground who creates submission, mount or clean striking opportunities

Machida did 1 & 2 throughout the fight, Shogun did nothing that constitues as Octagon control, Cecil is right he knows his stuff.

based on that definition alone, shogun was more aggressive and dictating the pace of the fight....he initiated several striking flurries himself.

Willie Duit - I don`t have to read those stupid rules to know who won a fight.

Peoples is a joke and a unfunny one at that.

This. And I read rules for a living.