Aaron Pico signs with Bellator

I hope he doesn't get pushed into mma to soon, remember how hyped up chris horodecki was?

I feel like starting to soon is what really halted his progress. Mma is a rough sport and guys get burned out real quick.

willienugget - 
wiggum - 
TMT - 
willienugget - 
TMT - Realistically, Pico's earliest shot at the Olympics is 2020. He's one of the top few high-school-age wrestlers in the country, but that doesn't mean much at the senior level.

For elite teenaged wrestlers, what matters is how much you improve continuously through the age of 22 or so, and that takes everything you have.

Pico's an incredible wrestling talent and even a phenom (age-group world champ), but I think it's a waste of his time to keep pursuing wrestling through 2020. He should focus on MMA only from now on. That's where the money is, and it seems he has an incredible skill set that will take him far.

Well he hasn't been competing against men if that's what you're saying. He has been winning internationally though. He's a cadet world champion. I think his eyes are on 2016.

I'm not sure I understand your comment.

I think Pico is one of the best high-school-age wrestlers in the country, and he may be the best. But I also do not think he's making the Olympic team in 2016. I don't see how he gets by Metcalf, Oliver, Russell, Stieber, Molinaro, and Tsirtsis.

In my original post I noted he was an age-level world champ, and you're right it was at the cadet level. This past summer he wrestled at the junior level and got a silver, losing to the Iranian 2-9.

Whether Pico could be good enough to make the Olympic team in 2020 is anyone's guess. He's in as good a position as anyone to do that. The problem is it's too soon to tell how competitive he'll be in 2020.

He'd have to dedicate a ton of time to improving his wrestling game to make the team. But even if he dedicates the next six years to wrestling, there is still no guarantee he'll make the 2020 Olympic team, much less win a medal.

Personally I think his time would be better spent focusing on MMA where he seems to have a very good shot at making decent money.

This is exactly right.

Pico - if he wrestled Folkstyle in college - would be almost guaranteed 4X All-American. My guess is he would have a real shot at being a 3X National Champion.

But there is nothing we have seen to indicate he will beat Steiber, Metcalf, Russell, or Oliver.

You really going to tell this kid he should put his efforts into something else because the competition is too tough?

I'm saying two things:

1) It is very unlikely he will make the Olympic team in 2016.

2) He has as good a chance as anyone at making the 2020 Olympic team. The problem is there are so many variables between now and then. (New studs could emerge. People can be injured at the wrong time. Guys' skills could decline.) It's way too early to tell if he even has a good chance to make the 2020 team.

So based on that, I'm making a recommendation based on a cost-benefit analysis. At this point, the chance of making the 2020 team is still remote. (This far in advance it's remote for everyone.) And to pursue that opportunity, he would have to forgo 4 years of competitive MMA. I simply don't think it makes sense to do that.

If Pico wants to wait to do MMA full time until he's 24 that's up to him. It's his life and he can do with it as he pleases. But I were him I'd start doing MMA full time ASAP.

willienugget - Razak did a piece on him awhile ago. I thought it was crazy talk with skipping high school and college wrestling to focus internationally.

I'm no wrestling expert, but I've heard that his style fits more Roman Greco than College Wrestling.

Also similar to Bryce Harper, he's been so dominant against High Schooled's that it hasn't been competitive

potato623 - 
willienugget - Razak did a piece on him awhile ago. I thought it was crazy talk with skipping high school and college wrestling to focus internationally.

I'm no wrestling expert, but I've heard that his style fits more Roman Greco than College Wrestling.

Also similar to Bryce Harper, he's been so dominant against High Schooled's that it hasn't been competitive

Right now he relies a lot on snapdowns, and that is very unlikely to be an effective strategy at the Olympic level. So that means he's going to have to develop his offense.

Based on his body mechanics, I don't see him as a high-scoring takedown artist like John Smith or Jordan Burroughs.

If he's going to make the Olympic team and have success there, he's going to have to be a counter wrestler with a whole arsenal of throws and slide bys and duck unders and etc, and he's going to have to really master scrambling.

Dumb move IMO, why not take some amateur fights? Phone Post 3.0

willienugget - 
wiggum - 
TMT - 
willienugget - 
TMT - Realistically, Pico's earliest shot at the Olympics is 2020. He's one of the top few high-school-age wrestlers in the country, but that doesn't mean much at the senior level.

For elite teenaged wrestlers, what matters is how much you improve continuously through the age of 22 or so, and that takes everything you have.

Pico's an incredible wrestling talent and even a phenom (age-group world champ), but I think it's a waste of his time to keep pursuing wrestling through 2020. He should focus on MMA only from now on. That's where the money is, and it seems he has an incredible skill set that will take him far.

Well he hasn't been competing against men if that's what you're saying. He has been winning internationally though. He's a cadet world champion. I think his eyes are on 2016.

I think Pico is one of the best high-school-age wrestlers in the country, and he may be the best. But I also do not think he's making the Olympic team in 2016. I don't see how he gets by Metcalf, Oliver, Russell, Stieber, Molinaro, and Tsirtsis.

In my original post I noted he was an age-level world champ, and you're right it was at the cadet level. This past summer he wrestled at the junior level and got a silver, losing to the Iranian 2-9.

Whether Pico could be good enough to make the Olympic team in 2020 is anyone's guess. He's in as good a position as anyone to do that. The problem is it's too soon to tell how competitive he'll be in 2020.

He'd have to dedicate a ton of time to improving his wrestling game to make the team. But even if he dedicates the next six years to wrestling, there is still no guarantee he'll make the 2020 Olympic team, much less win a medal.

Personally I think his time would be better spent focusing on MMA where he seems to have a very good shot at making decent money.

This is exactly right.

Pico - if he wrestled Folkstyle in college - would be almost guaranteed 4X All-American. My guess is he would have a real shot at being a 3X National Champion.

But there is nothing we have seen to indicate he will beat Steiber, Metcalf, Russell, or Oliver.

You really going to tell this kid he should put his efforts into something else because the competition is too tough?

No. Nor did you see me write anything indicating I believed that.

I actually think it's a great plan. Freestyle puts much less stress on the body than folkstyle (less weight cutting; less competitions) and becoming a truly GREAT wrestler is the easiest path to success in MMA.

I'm just speculating on his chances. Not giving him advice.

willienugget - 
wiggum - 
willienugget - 
wiggum - 
TMT - 
willienugget - 

This is exactly right.

I actually think it's a great plan. Freestyle puts much less stress on the body than folkstyle (less weight cutting; less competitions) and becoming a truly GREAT wrestler is the easiest path to success in MMA.

It was more directed toward the other guy who may even prove to be right, but it's the dumbest advice to give an athlete. Give up on your dreams.

I don't think so.

Let's say I have a son who is going to spend the next 6 years either mastering the trombone (to play in a symphony orchestra) or studying to be an accountant. Further, let's say has a 1/20 chance of making a decent living as a trombone player, and a 9/10 chance of making a decent living as an accountant. Finally, let's say that he loved music, and that he either enjoyed or loved accounting.

In that case, I'd tell him it makes more sense to go into accounting. The accounting option is far more likely to pay than the music option is. It's a simple cost-benefit analysis.

In Pico's case, sports are involved. Okay fine. But I don't see why a sports dream is different than any other kind of dream. For anyone taking the next step in their career, the question is always, What is the best use of my time? For Pico, I think the best use of his time is MMA.

TMT - 
willienugget - 
wiggum - 
willienugget - 
wiggum - 
TMT - 
willienugget - 

This is exactly right.

It was more directed toward the other guy who may even prove to be right, but it's the dumbest advice to give an athlete. Give up on your dreams.

I don't think so.

Let's say I have a son who is going to spend the next 6 years either mastering the trombone (to play in a symphony orchestra) or studying to be an accountant. Further, let's say has a 1/20 chance of making a decent living as a trombone player, and a 9/10 chance of making a decent living as an accountant. Finally, let's say that he loved music, and that he either enjoyed or loved accounting.

In that case, I'd tell him it makes more sense to go into accounting. The accounting option is far more likely to pay than the music option is. It's a simple cost-benefit analysis.

In Pico's case, sports are involved. Okay fine. But I don't see why a sports dream is different than any other kind of dream. For anyone taking the next step in their career, the question is always, What is the best use of my time? For Pico, I think the best use of his time is MMA.

Interestingly, I think Daniel Cormier provides a counterexample for this argument and your argument about snap downs.

Heavy hands and go behinds led to major international success for Cormier. I think Pico does have a style suited for high level competition. I just don't think 2016 will be his year. (As you have said, 2020 he's as likely as anyone).

Regarding MMA being his best route now, I think he still needs time to develop as a wrestler. World class wrestling has been shown to be the best path to MMA greatness. Given that the freestyle circuit doesn't destroy your body nearly to the extent that college wrestling does, freestyle gives him a chance to finish school, mature physically and emotionally, develop an incredible craft, and put himself in a position to succeed in MMA.

Sorry if it's already been discussed but by signing this contract does he forfeit all amateur status in boxing and wrestling? And if so, what was the rush to sign?

newjack900 - Sorry if it's already been discussed but by signing this contract does he forfeit all amateur status in boxing and wrestling? And if so, what was the rush to sign?

No. This won't affect his ability to compete in amateur wrestling.

The future of a young phenom in any sport has been very hard to predict in the past for sure. I'm intrigued by how a young super-prospect of MMA goes through everything that comes with that. In the age of the internet, it's can be a bit silly (Telfair, Freddi Adu, etc) but it's always compelling to follow a phenom's career. Would this kid be considered the 1st true MMA phenom as far as being hyped up as early as 15? I know Robbie Lawlor, Vitor, BJ and Rory were all hyped up super young, but never as young as this kid was when Cook was talking about him being the best prospect ever right?

his body is not fully developed yet for mma...  focusing on wrestling so his body can mature is the right thing to do.

MMALOGIC - 

his body is not fully developed yet for mma...  focusing on wrestling so his body can mature is the right thing to do.

Having been pretty deeply involved in the highest levels of both sports, I'd also say that there is an emotional maturity that comes from being in the highest levels of the wrestling community.

There are a lot of great guys in MMA. And a lot of people who don't know how to make the most of their potential. That's a little rarer in wrestling. By hanging around the Brent Metcalfs, Jordan Burroughs', Tom Brands' of the world, Pico can really develop into a mature professional athlete. Then, the transition to AKA where you have similar guys - Cormier, Cain, Swick, Fitch - will be really smooth.

Really informative thread. Imaginary VU's for all!! Thanks Phone Post 3.0

Pico's family is VERY wealthy. He could go without working his entire life just from what his grand parents and parents leave him. He's getting into mma for the chance to be a world champion.. Not get rich. I was at 3 camps with him this summer and got to know him very well. He's got a bright future. Phone Post 3.0

Also, the world team coaches expect Oliver or Stieber to be the guy at 65kg by 2016. 2020 is too far away to even speculate. Phone Post 3.0