Aaron Pico signs with Bellator

Remember that guy that Bob Cook said is the greatest MMA prospect of all time? Star boxer and olympic-caliber wrestler? Apparently Bellator signed him.

Isnt he still in HS?

teamquestnorth - Isnt he still in HS?

Right? I thought the same...

CowboyKickedMeBackToBoca - 
teamquestnorth - Isnt he still in HS?

Right? I thought the same...

as an 18yrold junior i think

he was 17 @least may2014,also
"Pico takes online courses and expects to earn his high school degree around summer 2015. He said he is still interested in college and will probably pursue a degree in communications, though he'll do so online and only "a couple courses at a time," Aaron said."

I wonder if the contract has performance bonus related to his wrestling accomplishments ? Phone Post 3.0

I'm sure it's a very lucrative deal if he's forgoing the Olympics for Bellator Phone Post 3.0

Brigham - I'm sure it's a very lucrative deal if he's forgoing the Olympics for Bellator Phone Post 3.0

Apparently it won't preclude him from participating in the 2016 Olympics

Here is @BellatorMMA president Scott Coker on the big Aaron Pico signing: 

"Simply put, Aaron has all the makings of MMA’s next great superstar, and to have him here at Bellator is something special. Like many of us in the MMA community, Aaron is someone we’ve been watching closely over the last few years, and after sitting down with Bob Cook and his team, getting a chance to meet Aaron, and hearing his long-term aspirations, the fit became very obvious. I’m not only excited to see what Aaron is going to be able to do in our cage, but also watching him represent our country in 2016 at the Olympics.”

CowboyKickedMeBackToBoca -
Brigham - I'm sure it's a very lucrative deal if he's forgoing the Olympics for Bellator Phone Post 3.0

Apparently it won't preclude him from participating in the 2016 Olympics

Wow so maybe it's a long term sponsorship deal as well to make sure he has evrything he needs to make a run at the Olympics? Sounds great for him honestly Phone Post 3.0

Realistically, Pico's earliest shot at the Olympics is 2020. He's one of the top few high-school-age wrestlers in the country, but that doesn't mean much at the senior level.

For elite teenaged wrestlers, what matters is how much you improve continuously through the age of 22 or so, and that takes everything you have.

Pico's an incredible wrestling talent and even a phenom (age-group world champ), but I think it's a waste of his time to keep pursuing wrestling through 2020. He should focus on MMA only from now on. That's where the money is, and it seems he has an incredible skill set that will take him far.

Ttt Phone Post 3.0

willienugget - Razak did a piece on him awhile ago. I thought it was crazy talk with skipping high school and college wrestling to focus internationally.
I remember Bobby saying he's one of the most talented guys he's seen in a while. I'm interested to see what happens with him. Phone Post 3.0

willienugget - 
TMT - Realistically, Pico's earliest shot at the Olympics is 2020. He's one of the top few high-school-age wrestlers in the country, but that doesn't mean much at the senior level.

For elite teenaged wrestlers, what matters is how much you improve continuously through the age of 22 or so, and that takes everything you have.

Pico's an incredible wrestling talent and even a phenom (age-group world champ), but I think it's a waste of his time to keep pursuing wrestling through 2020. He should focus on MMA only from now on. That's where the money is, and it seems he has an incredible skill set that will take him far.

Well he hasn't been competing against men if that's what you're saying. He has been winning internationally though. He's a cadet world champion. I think his eyes are on 2016.

I'm not sure I understand your comment.

I think Pico is one of the best high-school-age wrestlers in the country, and he may be the best. But I also do not think he's making the Olympic team in 2016. I don't see how he gets by Metcalf, Oliver, Russell, Stieber, Molinaro, and Tsirtsis.

In my original post I noted he was an age-level world champ, and you're right it was at the cadet level. This past summer he wrestled at the junior level and got a silver, losing to the Iranian 2-9.

Whether Pico could be good enough to make the Olympic team in 2020 is anyone's guess. He's in as good a position as anyone to do that. The problem is it's too soon to tell how competitive he'll be in 2020.

He'd have to dedicate a ton of time to improving his wrestling game to make the team. But even if he dedicates the next six years to wrestling, there is still no guarantee he'll make the 2020 Olympic team, much less win a medal.

Personally I think his time would be better spent focusing on MMA where he seems to have a very good shot at making decent money.

"Simply put, Aaron has all the makings of MMA’s next great superstar, and to have him here at Bellator is something special. Like many of us in the MMA community, Aaron is someone we’ve been watching closely over the last few years, and after sitting down with Bob Cook and his team, getting a chance to meet Aaron, and hearing his long-term aspirations, the fit became very obvious. I’m not only excited to see what Aaron is going to be able to do in our cage, but also watching him represent our country in 2016 at the Olympics.”

Man Coker is refreshing.  A total professional in every sense of the word.  The above is so much better than "this kid is a fucking animal.  I mean, he's mean and nasty.  Think of a GSP at 17 fucking years old...that's this kid."   

Glad he went to Bellator.

he's 18, wait until he's getting punched kicked by the full grown animals in his weight class Phone Post 3.0

I Wild Each It -

Man Coker is refreshing.  A total professional in every sense of the word.  The above is so much better than "this kid is a fucking animal.  I mean, he's mean and nasty.  Think of a GSP at 17 fucking years old...that's this kid."   

Glad he went to Bellator.

Wow, funny thing is I easily read that in DFW, Jr.'s voice!

I am really excited to see Pics in the cage, I've been hearing about this guy for awhile now! Phone Post 3.0

King Of All Tenors - he's 18, wait until he's getting punched kicked by the full grown animals in his weight class Phone Post 3.0
He's a golden gloves champ iirc. So he's used to get punched in the face. If developed properly, could be a monster. Interested to see how this works, when he's done with wrestling, whether in 2016 or 2020, how does he do his first Mma fight?

Bellator prelims against cans or will they let him fight on small shows first? Phone Post 3.0

TMT - 
willienugget - 
TMT - Realistically, Pico's earliest shot at the Olympics is 2020. He's one of the top few high-school-age wrestlers in the country, but that doesn't mean much at the senior level.

Well he hasn't been competing against men if that's what you're saying. He has been winning internationally though. He's a cadet world champion. I think his eyes are on 2016.

I'm not sure I understand your comment.

I think Pico is one of the best high-school-age wrestlers in the country, and he may be the best. But I also do not think he's making the Olympic team in 2016. I don't see how he gets by Metcalf, Oliver, Russell, Stieber, Molinaro, and Tsirtsis.

In my original post I noted he was an age-level world champ, and you're right it was at the cadet level. This past summer he wrestled at the junior level and got a silver, losing to the Iranian 2-9.

Whether Pico could be good enough to make the Olympic team in 2020 is anyone's guess. He's in as good a position as anyone to do that. The problem is it's too soon to tell how competitive he'll be in 2020.

He'd have to dedicate a ton of time to improving his wrestling game to make the team. But even if he dedicates the next six years to wrestling, there is still no guarantee he'll make the 2020 Olympic team, much less win a medal.

Personally I think his time would be better spent focusing on MMA where he seems to have a very good shot at making decent money.

This is exactly right.

Pico - if he wrestled Folkstyle in college - would be almost guaranteed 4X All-American. My guess is he would have a real shot at being a 3X National Champion.

But there is nothing we have seen to indicate he will beat Steiber, Metcalf, Russell, or Oliver.