Adrenalines effect?

I'm wondering if anyone can point me to some studies on the effects of adrenaline on everyday training.

I'm trying to learn to recognize it's effects in myself and in others. I know that certain people definitely get a surge just from rolling. I can see them start to shake a little from it especially in the hands and legs. The dudes that seem to get the adrenaline going easy are usually the strongest too... not just in the superhuman old lady lifting the car to save the day way... but stronger walking around.

On the flip side an adrenaline dump too soon before competition seems to kill both strength and cardio.

I'd like to know if there are any good studies about the effects of adrenaline on strength and conditioning.

Stronger walking around? What does this mean?

What I mean is that people that get the surge seem to have more strenght with or without it.

I'm thinking that when they get the surge they push their muscles harder and that results in more strength but I'd like to find some science to support that.

ttt

People react to adrenaline surges differently. Some people fight with almost superhuman intensity feel ing no pain until well after the fight, while others run away faster than they ever thought they could run, and yet others just stand there shaking and too scared to do anything. It's how you handle adrenaline surges that count.

"People react to adrenaline surges differently. Some people fight with almost superhuman intensity feel ing no pain until well after the fight, while others run away faster than they ever thought they could run, and yet others just stand there shaking and too scared to do anything. It's how you handle adrenaline surges that count. "

Ya but thats the problem.. how do you handle these surges?

"People react to adrenaline surges differently. Some people fight with almost superhuman intensity feel ing no pain until well after the fight, while others run away faster than they ever thought they could run, and yet others just stand there shaking and too scared to do anything. It's how you handle adrenaline surges that count. "

Ya but thats the problem.. how do you handle these surges?

^^ that's a "fight or flight" case that's not really related to what the original poster was asking I think.

What I'm thinking is that the added intensity from adrenaline works the muscles more which later results in more strength but maybe adrenaline has a more direct effect on muscle building? Why does it go flip and make you weak and winded?

Anybody out there that can lay some knowledge down?

"I'm thinking that when they get the surge they push their muscles harder and that results in more strength but I'd like to find some science to support that."

You've already answered your own question. And besides, you're asking if somebody had actually done meaningful scientific research regarding exercise. Oh dear.

Seriously though, that adrenaline is nerves when it comes to sparring/rolling. If you're not comfortable doing something thats when it kicks in...it usually happens to people competing and it shouldn't kick in when you're training IMO. You've gotta get over that stuff (saying "you" as in people in general) before you get good. I always have nerves sparring and whenever I get over it, like presto something happens where I have to stop training for a while. Conditioning is another story. If you get yourself psyched up to push yourself more and get the adrenaline pumping, thats always good. But practicing it is no good.

Anything that affects the adrenal glands like ephedrine will make you lift more and train harder. If you overdo it those things won't work anymore though.

I'm going to keep this brief, but azara, you are touching on all the correct terms. We're all made of energy, and the way we absorb and manipulate energy dictates how strong, and to a certain extent, how big, we are going to be at that given moment.

I'm going to keep it right there for now, as in the future you will all have plenty of time to bash me for my strange Diego-ish discipline lol.

There is a study on the effect of arousal vs performance. There is an inverted U shaped curve of arousal and performance. Enough arousal will get you to perform at your best, but too much will make you tank, as will too little.

Looks a bit like this...

i /\
i / \
i / \

i/ \

The only way to find that right level for you is to just experience it.

For example, I used to get too psyched up before the match that by the time the match is on, I am already gassed and worn out. Or sometimes, I do not get psyched up enough and am not totally prepare to compete.

With experience, you just find out what level is right for you and when you need to activiate it. Some people need to warm up and get psyched few hours before a match, some people a few minutes, some people just wait until they are actually in the ring.

ttt

Ask Tony Blauer, I think he has some insight on this.

Apparently competitive chess players get huge adrenaline dumps. Those dudes don't win many body building competitions. So the correlation between adrenaline and muscle development is likely from an athlete pushing their muscles harder while under the influence rather than some direct effect.

I'm also reading that cortisol is the body's way of bringing adrenaline levels down and that cortisol is a depressant which might explain the "gassing" effect.