Affliction POSTPONED

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr...I was looking forward to it.

http://mmarated.com/blogs/blog/20080910/exclusive__affliction_ii___day_of_reckoning__canceled-685.html

We've heard that as low as 700 tickets had been been sold for the event. For ring events, the Thomas & Mack Center can hold up up to 19, 522 spectators.

- OUCH.

Card -  http://mmarated.com/blogs/blog/20080910/exclusive__affliction_ii___day_of_reckoning__canceled-685.html

We've heard that as low as 700 tickets had been been sold for the event. For ring events, the Thomas & Mack Center can hold up up to 19, 522 spectators.

- OUCH.

Good lord.

Queue Kazja in 3...2...1..

Well to be fair, it sounds like MMARated is just passing along a 3rd hand rumour, if they actually knew the figure they wouldn't start with "We've heard that..."

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2008/9/10/611383/dana-white-post-ufc-88-int#comments

Affliction started the fight… Zuffa is gonna finish it for them.

The back story:

Affliction went to Zuffa and wanted to do an exclusive deal on their terms… Zuffa listened, and said, sounds good but not interested at this time… no hard feelings.

Affliction got thier panties in a knot and decided to compete with the UFC and steal their fighters.

They thought… “shit, since we are already practically paying them to wear a t-shirt what the UFC is paying them to fight… it’s a no brainer”

(little did they realize that they were getting actual eyeballs for those sponsorship dollars and they would have to pay at a minimum 50% to 100% more than what the UFC pays them for it to make sense for the fighters.)

The calls began and they started feeling out fighters.

They decided Couture was the one… so they went through Yoko to get this done (didnt work out to well now it seems).

Zuffa was going to use UFC 91 to counter not on free TV but to take afflictions PPV spot… that’s why Zuffa kept it up in the air for a bit.

Affliction made the decision to rush and go early in october in order to keep the wrath off of them… and thus ended up with a ifL 2.0 type of card.

And then the geniuses decided to hit back the UFC by going into their backyard…

When you go to war and all you have are ak 47’s and the other side has stealth bombers, tanks, jets, laser guided missiles you better plan accordingly otherwise your done which is what’s happening here.

This is tantamount to when Sadam said “this will be the mother of all wars” a few weeks before he got his ass handed to him in the first gulf war.

by mmalogic

smoogy - Well to be fair, it sounds like MMARated is just passing along a 3rd hand rumour, if they actually knew the figure they wouldn't start with "We've heard that..."

I'd hope they've got a good source on it if they're going to print it.

You can't just post some third-hand rumor. That's seriously messed up if they did.

Was MMAlogic's post written in english?  

Fletch F Fletch - 
francoistank - Not surprising. I made a thread a while back about how since Matt Lindland left the UFC every org he has fought in has folded (besides Cage Rage). Affliction never stood a chance

True.

Signing Lindland is like giving your org that disease from Outbreak.
Fedor is the same.  Every organization he fought for except for Affliction is gone.  The only other one is Yarennoka which was a one time event and is still around in the form of Dream, but he hasn't fought for Dream yet.

Rings, Pride, Inoki Bom-Ba-Ye, Bodog are all gone.  M1-Global announced his signing, then broke up the team of the Russians and Monte Cox.  They still run small shows but Fedor never fought for them.

DannyOcean - I'll wait for someone other than Atencio to cry foul play before I believe they were blackballed.

I think this is more a case of 'noFedoritis'. I bet they only pre-sold like 500 tickets and it wasn't because Dana is nefarious. It's because nobody in the mainstream real world gives a fuck about Affliction. Sad but true, like josh barnett or andrei was going to draw a mad scramble for tickets? LMAO, when have they ever been proven draws, barnett especially. If you aren't Randy, Tito, Lesnar, Chack, Forrest, Fedor, etc. , then you ARE NOT going to draw fans outside of the UFC. It isn't going to happen.

Finally someone else who doesn't jump on conspiracy theories and uses a little common sense. I find it hard to believe PRIDE (who was a much bigger and more serious rival) could get a show going in LV but suddenly the UFC is blocking Affliction.

Fletch F Fletch - 
smoogy - Well to be fair, it sounds like MMARated is just passing along a 3rd hand rumour, if they actually knew the figure they wouldn't start with "We've heard that..."

You can't just post some third-hand rumor. That's seriously messed up if they did.

I think you are being serious, but given the state of MMA blogging in general it could be sarcasm too

mmajournalist.blogspot.com/2008/09/affliction-postpones-second-show-after.html 

smoogy - 
Fletch F Fletch - 

I think you are being serious, but given the state of MMA blogging in general it could be sarcasm too

Unfortunately, I was being serious.

Why does anybody put stock in what they read on some fly-by-night website? How dumb can you be?

Seriously, there only a very few MMA websites that have any credibility at all.

Sweet! Now I can go see it live!

t

Fletch F Fletch - 
smoogy - 
Fletch F Fletch - 

Unfortunately, I was being serious.

Why does anybody put stock in what they read on some fly-by-night website? How dumb can you be?

Seriously, there only a very few MMA websites that have any credibility at all.

I agree with you on that point whole-heartedly

Ok, so MMARated just did a little Q&A with the Affliction COO and didn't question him about that figure at all, so I'd say they were just throwing out an unsubstantiated rumour

DannyOcean - I'll wait for someone other than Atencio to cry foul play before I believe they were blackballed.

I think this is more a case of 'noFedoritis'. I bet they only pre-sold like 500 tickets and it wasn't because Dana is nefarious. It's because nobody in the mainstream real world gives a fuck about Affliction. Sad but true, like josh barnett or andrei was going to draw a mad scramble for tickets? LMAO, when have they ever been proven draws, barnett especially. If you aren't Randy, Tito, Lesnar, Chack, Forrest, Fedor, etc. , then you ARE NOT going to draw fans outside of the UFC. It isn't going to happen.

Oh well. I don't necessarily savor the moment when another organization folds up, but I am not surprised.

Also, I think in this case postponed = cancelled and folded up.

first zuffa injects aleksander with hepatitis... now this?!

-the ug

Why would the NSAC try to make it hard for them? Does more events not equal out to more money for them? It's not like Zuffa can blackball the NSAC when Vegas is their main spot. How about instead of blaming NSAC and Dana and the UFC you blame Affliction for shitty marketing and overpaying their fighters when they can't afford it. Seriously you guys are fucking retards sometimes. Like a billboard is all you need to make your event big, give me a break.

All this Zuffa/Athletic Commission conspiracy speculation and kazja13 isn't online for once.

How ironic.