Against Instant Rematches

wiggum - 
Wasa-B - 
Calhoon - 
Canooke - Volk won rounds 3, 4, and 5. All 3 judges gave round 3 to Volk. Max won the first two rounds and then couldn't win one of the next three in order to secure the belt.

I dont see how people can get upset if a judge saw it this way. I scored it this exact way, 3,4 and 5 for Volk. I would not feel like someone got it wrong though if they scored 3 or 5 for Max. It was a close fight. If I am scoring the fight in its entirety I would give the fight to Volk though. The five round fight was close but Max came out of the 5 rounds worse off imo. I dont think that leg would have lasted another round or two.

Wiggums- As for your point, I agree. I think it would be good if rematches were reserved for fights that have been fluky or controversial.

P.S. I have been giving some thought to your idea that Frankie would be a good matchup for Khabib. You are certainly onto something. I think his skill along with his speed and agility would be a real threat.

I agree with Luke Thomas when he said it could have been 4-1 Max or 3-2 Volk. R3-4 were close enough to have gone either way imo. I think people’s opinions are also being clouded by the fact that Max won R1-2 by the clearest margins but I don’t think there 10-8s and under the 10 point must, again, I think 4-1 Max or 3-2 Volk are conceivable.

I think the issue has to do with probability.

If rounds 3-4 were coin flips, then something feels wrong about Volk winning four of four. (Max only needed to win one of those coin flips to get the nod).

I think it’s wrong to think of the rounds as “coin flips” and then to thus regard Max as being unlucky. All 3 judges gave rounds 3 and 4 to Volk. The judges interpreted the action and they all agreed. Striking data (open to some interpretation) for rounds 3, 4, and 5 respectively favor Volk. Max won the first two rounds and then with respect the last three rounds 3 judges scored the last 3 rounds a combined 8-1 for Volk (3-0, 3-0, 2-1). 3-0, 3-0, and 2-1, combine for a pretty tight set of data.

You can’t do an instant rematch.

They have fought 10 rounds.

Volk clearly won 6 of those rounds, Max clearly won 2.

Max just isn’t as good. Volk would win the 3rd fight. Get over it.

This is exactly what I said when I saw it signed.  Just stupid.

dangerboy12 - You can't do an instant rematch.

They have fought 10 rounds.

Volk clearly won 6 of those rounds, Max clearly won 2.

Max just isn’t as good. Volk would win the 3rd fight. Get over it.

They did an instant rematch. That’s what just happened. That’s what this post is about.

The instant rematch was fucking stupid.  Let Max go rebuild himself.  Let Volk fight the guys that Max already beat.  If and when a 2nd fight were to take place it would have some build to it and not just a "run it back" fight.  Now, Max needs Volk to lose to get a title fight or we get a THIRD fight between two guys that we've already seen fight for 50 minutes.

Samoa - 

The instant rematch was fucking stupid.  Let Max go rebuild himself.  Let Volk fight the guys that Max already beat.  If and when a 2nd fight were to take place it would have some build to it and not just a "run it back" fight.  Now, Max needs Volk to lose to get a title fight or we get a THIRD fight between two guys that we've already seen fight for 50 minutes.

100%.