Akiyama @ 170 lbs

Dana has expressed interest in seeing Akiyama drop to WW and I would also like to see that. He would also have the size advantage dropping down from 185. Akiyama is fun to watch and I think there are alot of good matchups for him at 170, especially against alot of the wrestlers in that division. Who would you like see him fight if he were to drop?

EVERYONE and their mother would like Sexyama to drop to 170.

3 in a row. They may boot him before he gets the chance....

K-Dub-"T" -  3 in a row. They may boot him before he gets the chance....

I think they are going to give him the 'cut to 170 or get cut from the UFC' speech.

K-Dub-"T" -  3 in a row. They may boot him before he gets the chance....

i concur

If this was anybody else they'd be gone already.

Akiyama's a cool guy and all, but who are we kidding here? Was size the real reason he's been losing against the competition he's been facing? WW would help because there are less strikers at the top, but I still see the same thing happening.

if akiyama gets cut it gives more reason to all the lay and wait experts to keep doin what there doin. akiyama comes in to fight everytime. hes a fighter you can actually go back and watch his fights cause there so good. he may not win everytime but he gets fotn often. i also think 95% of fighters would have fallen to the shots he gave chris leben. akiyama at welterweight makes sense. with all the wrestlers there and his 100% takedown defense would make for some great fights. i hope he doesnt get cut. i would like to see akiyama vs rick story.

People have been saying this since he came to the UFC. He is way too small for 185 but would be a force at 170. Phone Post

hes got to be the most over rated fighter eva

Winston Wolf - hes got to be the most over rated fighter eva

Crazily over-rated. The UFC pays him a hell of a lot also.

Unless they get him involved in the future Japanese event, I think he'll get cut.

Would like to see him cut down, some interesting fights to make.

He should be on every UFC card, not fighting but just giving his entrance then going to backstage straight after....greatest entrance ever! Phone Post

give him loser of lytle Vs hardy Phone Post

If he gets cut its the reasons why guys like Mendes and Fitch get cut, Akiyama is 1-3 in the UFC but he was 3 FOTNs under his belt and to be fair was beating Leben

What I dont get is: He hardly beats Belcher, he gets subbed by Leben so they give him Bisping (a tougher fighter) he loses that fight and they give him Vitor a guy who JUST fought for the title.... Phone Post

He supposedly walks around at the same as GSP, about 200 lbs.

Gaspare - What I dont get is: He hardly beats Belcher, he gets subbed by Leben so they give him Bisping (a tougher fighter) he loses that fight and they give him Vitor a guy who JUST fought for the title....

He's making bucketloads of cash.

Guys with a paycheck like his don't get to fight scrubs. It's the same reason Tito doesn't get any easy fights, no matter how often he loses. He's making too much money to be wasted against a nobody.

ChokeEmOut - No, he's not getting booted. Dana has a thing for Sexyama.
Yup, fighters with large followings in other countries usually stick around longer than others.

Over rated. Too long in Judo. Old for an MMA fighter when he started . Just a name with some nice wins in Japan. Nothing special. Fodder for younger upstarts now.

gotta say 3 fight of night bonuses in 3 straight fights is impressive regardless of the outcome... shows that the man comes to fight...

that being said, seems to look like belfort finished akiyama with shots to the back of the head, im not saying yoshihiro would have won the fight although theres always that chance had he been hit with all legal blows but nobody will ever know

UFC Japan