Al Bundy

pheonix5 - Nobody is fond of the Gracie's marketing, but to say that Rener shouldn't be commentator is ridiculous. The guy has been doing Jiu Jitsu since birth so I think he knows a thing or two. I've been doing Jiu Jitsu for about 4 years now, (I know, I'm still a young pup), but he points out stuff (small details) I never would have caught. There's a ton of stuff I would have missed on the Rener/Ryron sparring session had he not pointed them out.

I don't know. I just think it's easier to ignore the plugs for GJJ instead of hating all the time so that I might actually learn something.

Well like I said, I really like Rener and his family so Im not sure where all the hate talk is coming from. I started 18 years ago at the Gracie Academy and trained there as much as I could for almost 8 years.

I agree with your analysis on their insight but that is really besides (my) point. My point, and maybe Im taking a selfish approach here, is that this event has SO MUCH promise to bring jiu jitsu competition back to the original gracie away from points and more emphasis on the submission (something Im a huge fan of). The best way to legitimize this is by getting all the top names to compete in it. The fact of the matter is that Rorions family, although they have been nothing but welcoming and amazing to me personally over the years, are polarizing in the BJJ community, so in this regard I do not like to see the commentary slant slated this way or that.

Now, its true Rener has great energy, insight, observation and the like. The guy is a true entertainer, BUT if he does not tone down the GJJ commercial tones to what he does, he is going to alienate future talent and therefore weaken the event. I fear that appointing Brenden Schaub a slot in this event is the first such indicator. Lets all hope Im wrong.

You have to do more for the win than just get the pin.<br />At the Metamoris Pro.

Tap,snap or nap, or the people won't clap.
At the Metamoris Pro.

If you want to win fights, you must put out their lights.
At the Metamoris Pro.

BigEyedFish - 
pheonix5 - Nobody is fond of the Gracie's marketing, but to say that Rener shouldn't be commentator is ridiculous. The guy has been doing Jiu Jitsu since birth so I think he knows a thing or two. I've been doing Jiu Jitsu for about 4 years now, (I know, I'm still a young pup), but he points out stuff (small details) I never would have caught. There's a ton of stuff I would have missed on the Rener/Ryron sparring session had he not pointed them out.

I don't know. I just think it's easier to ignore the plugs for GJJ instead of hating all the time so that I might actually learn something.

Well like I said, I really like Rener and his family so Im not sure where all the hate talk is coming from. I started 18 years ago at the Gracie Academy and trained there as much as I could for almost 8 years.

I agree with your analysis on their insight but that is really besides (my) point. My point, and maybe Im taking a selfish approach here, is that this event has SO MUCH promise to bring jiu jitsu competition back to the original gracie away from points and more emphasis on the submission (something Im a huge fan of). The best way to legitimize this is by getting all the top names to compete in it. The fact of the matter is that Rorions family, although they have been nothing but welcoming and amazing to me personally over the years, are polarizing in the BJJ community, so in this regard I do not like to see the commentary slant slated this way or that.

Now, its true Rener has great energy, insight, observation and the like. The guy is a true entertainer, BUT if he does not tone down the GJJ commercial tones to what he does, he is going to alienate future talent and therefore weaken the event. I fear that appointing Brenden Schaub a slot in this event is the first such indicator. Lets all hope Im wrong.

I get what you are saying about the marketing, but is he really that polarizing in the BJJ community or is that just online? It's important to differentiate the two because most people I know at various gyms don't spend any time in these forums. Go on the sherdog forums for example and you would get the impression that the Gracie Acacdemy is starved for students and 99% of people training for jiu-jitsu compete and hate submission only tournaments and events.

Also, is any talent alienated from these events? I mean, Galvao went crazy after the last event but I see his name on the roster again, so if he could still participate I really don't see anyone staying out of Metamoris because of Rener's involvement.

In Phone Post 3.0

I love this thread Phone Post

He once scored 4 for Polk High and will sit next to that Rener guy

At the Metamoris Pro.

thesesitesofweb - He once scored 4 for Polk High and will sit next to that Rener guy

At the Metamoris Pro.

Haha,good stuff.

"He once drove a Dodge and sold fat women shoes but now wears a black belt from The Gracie School of Jiu Jitsu"

AT THE METAMORIS PRO

And now, for the coup de grace:

http://www.fightpassport.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/ed-oneill-bjj.jpg

joe_mama - And now, for the coup de grace:

http://www.fightpassport.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/ed-oneill-bjj.jpg

Absolutely epic. Would VU but gotta wait 24hrs.

So old 'Al''s commentary hasn't gone down too well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUa5oHgYV2k&feature=youtube_gdata_player

whispers .... yea, yea, yea ...

A agree ^, he didn't sound like he knew shit about bjj.

I happen to know that they auditioned various BJJ black belts to be commentators along side Renner. I won't say who one of them was because it's not my place to reveal it publicly, but he would have been an awesome choice. Much better than Ed. Really, they needed someone who could match Renner's energy, like an Eddie Bravo, or Joe Rogan.

He was not ready to do that job but at least he didnt call all the fans uneducated 25 times.

The whole commentary was like Rener bullshitting really fast to what he thought was a stupid audience, and Ed muttering in the background.

Is that a foot!
Whoa!
Oohhh
Ya ya... Phone Post 3.0

HAHA!
Fucking hell: what a picture; way to honour the belt/art.

Regards the commentary: AJL19 is spot on; that sambo comment...what the actual fuck...?!
Throughout the entire show he just sounded like someone's confused, tired grandpa.