Alexander Karelin -vs- Mijaín López?

Does Prime Karelin still beat the new breed; Or is Lopez just too big and athletic?

karelin was actually more athletic of the two

I have my money on Karelin. Although Lopez is a beast

Hard to tell when they both are so dominant in their eras, and each for a prolonged period.

When the end times come and miracles happen, we can put this wrestling match on the ultimate fight card. :slight_smile:

I’m too young to have seen Karelin in his prime, but obviously know of his stats and records.

And while watching Lopez, he seemingly has no competition. Last match I watched of his, he was up 5-0 in the first 2 mins.

Granted he wouldn’t be up 5-0 against Karelin anytime through the entire match but Lopez is a freak too.

It was not uncommon for guys who thought they had a pretty solid chance of taking bronze to just forfeit to karelin rather than risk getting injured and fucking up their chance in the consolation bracket.

Wood rather see him against Mario Lopez.

In for videos of both

Lopez is much more explosive and faster than Karelin…hard to pick a winner…

Just imagine Lopez in the Ufc hvwt picture…scary mother fucker…good look stopping his takedown!

takedownandsub - 

It was not uncommon for guys who thought they had a pretty solid chance of taking bronze to just forfeit to karelin rather than risk getting injured and fucking up their chance in the consolation bracket.

That is quite possibly the most alpha shit I ever heard.

I didn’t watch much of Karelin in his prime, but the big difference is that Lopez has lost more. Silver in the world championships in 06, 11, and 15. His Wikipedia page says he competed in the 04 Olympics and didn’t medal when he would have been 22.

Karelin won his first gold in 1988 at 21, and won Olympics or World gold every year until 2000. That’s the more dominant run.

VIDS OF BOTH:

BiggGunn - I didn't watch much of Karelin in his prime, but the big difference is that Lopez has lost more. Silver in the world championships in 06, 11, and 15. His Wikipedia page says he competed in the 04 Olympics and didn't medal when he would have been 22.

Karelin won his first gold in 1988 at 21, and won Olympics or World gold every year until 2000. That’s the more dominant run.

The thing with Lopez and Cuba in general, is they are known for taking dives. It’s not crazy to think he may have been able to win those where he lost. Or maybe they were legitimate. Always a question mark with the Cubans. One thing not in question is Lopez is absolutely the monster his other results say he is.

ons ear - Lopez is much more explosive and faster than Karelin..hard to pick a winner..

Just imagine Lopez in the Ufc hvwt picture…scary mother fucker…good look stopping his takedown!

This. I’d love to see these superhuman wrecking balls show up to MMA’s doorstep and say “let me in”. What could these gargantuan beasts do to the MMA elite like Big Country, Black Beast, or even Frank Mir?

Karelin was as close to a cyborg as there have been. I don’t know that he could have been defeated, not even by Lopez.

Karelin’s wrestling record is 887 wins and two losses. 13 year win streak in international competition and six years without giving up a point. You can’t beat shit like that.

http://addcss.com/content/images/2017/02/aleksandr-karelin.jpg

SinCityHustler - 
BiggGunn - I didn't watch much of Karelin in his prime, but the big difference is that Lopez has lost more. Silver in the world championships in 06, 11, and 15. His Wikipedia page says he competed in the 04 Olympics and didn't medal when he would have been 22.

The thing with Lopez and Cuba in general, is they are known for taking dives. It’s not crazy to think he may have been able to win those where he lost. Or maybe they were legitimate. Always a question mark with the Cubans. One thing not in question is Lopez is absolutely the monster his other results say he is.

Why do they take dives? You would think Lopez would want to have the best record possible

Bad Karma - Karelin's wrestling record is 887 wins and two losses. 13 year win streak in international competition and six years without giving up a point. You can't beat shit like that.

True but haven’t wresters gotten much better since Karelin competed?you know, the sport evolved just like mma, too hard to stay undefeated or have very few loss s…

ons ear - 
SinCityHustler - 

Why do they take dives? You would think Lopez would want to have the best record possible

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

ons ear - 
Bad Karma - Karelin's wrestling record is 887 wins and two losses. 13 year win streak in international competition and six years without giving up a point. You can't beat shit like that.

True but haven’t wresters gotten much better since Karelin competed?you know, the sport evolved just like mma, too hard to stay undefeated or have very few loss s…

Not noticeably, no. There may be an improvement here or there, but other than Lopez, there is no one to even compare to Karelin. Also, he didn’t compete that long ago, his final bout being in 2000. Give it 50 years and it may be a bit better.

On the US collegiate mats, many point to “funk” or scrambling/defensive wrestling as big leaps, but others counter with mat wrestling becoming a lost art and no where near as good as it once was. Guys like Monday, Smith, Schultz (both of them) would all be monsters today. And that’s just USA. It’s true for all the greats from around the world.

Nobody was fucking with 285 pound in his prime Karelin. He was beyond a genetic freak and arguably the scariest human this worlds ever seen.