'Almost Everyone I Know Illegally Streams It!' O'Malley Concerned About $

https://www.mmanews.com/news/sean-omalley-speculates-ppv-sales-ufc-299-illegally-streams

Sean O’Malley Speculates About The PPV Sales Of UFC 299: ‘Almost Everyone I Know Illegally Streams It!’

“Suga” mulls over how well UFC 299 might have done…

1 Like

UFC Bantamweight Champion Sean O’Malley recently discussed UFC pay-per-view buys.

“Suga” successfully defended his UFC Bantamweight Championship for the first time opposite old rival Marlon “Chito” Vera at UFC 299. After five rounds of levelling “Chito” with his heavy-striking, O’Malley was declared the winner via unanimous decision.

More recently, on an episode of the TimboSugarShow, “Suga” discussed the event, and wondered about how many buys it will turn out to have had.

“I still haven’t heard, officially, the pay-per-view numbers yet, but once I do, I’ll let you guys know,” O’Malley said. “I wonder if I’m allowed to, I’ll have to make sure and check.”

“Suga” went on to confidently guess UFC 299 likely racked up somewhere between 600-700,000 pay-per-view buys. In response, his coach, Tim Welch, suggested that would be equivalent to over a million buys in the days before pirating and streaming became so commonplace.

“It’s Too Easy” - Sean O’Malley On Illegal Streaming

“Suga” went on to admit that almost everyone he knows who watches the UFC illegally streams the promotion’s pay-per-view events.

O’Malley acknowledged that, right now, it is simply too easy to stream the live events. However, the 135lbs kingpin was quick to make clear that he himself always pays for the pay-per-view events.
As an event headliner himself, “Suga” noted he would feel wrong not purchasing the events and watching them legitimately.

“Everyone I know streams it,” O’Malley said. “I don’t really know anybody, except for you [Welch], you buy it… Pretty much everyone I know illegally streams, it’s too easy, not that I know, but I’m assuming it’s too easy… I buy them because I would feel guilty not, you know what I mean? Especially being in my position.”

Well when ESPN rapes you, the PPV price goes thru the roof, judges suck and the UFC puts on subpar cards what do they expect?

UFC 299 and 300 are cool.

But the UFC has been so bad lately, I don’t even waste my time streaming this b/s.

When Dana White wants to finally listen to the fans, maybe people will stop the illegal steaming bullshit.

10 Likes

It’s because people are willing to pay to see real fighters, O’Malley.

Not you.

8 Likes

They should have gone the WWE Network route and made everything available for a reasonable monthly subscription.

21 Likes

Member when payperviews weren’t filled with commercial?

I member

11 Likes

Increasing PPV price. Hiding PPVs behind ESPN+ which also requires a subscription. Cards so watered down you get excited if you know more than two fighters on it.

Not exactly conducive to making people feel like they’re getting their money’s worth.

10 Likes

There were days when I could tell you the entire card top to bottom. Nowadays I could barely tell you 2-3 fights on the main card. There are commercials during the PPV broadcast too. Might as well ditch that model and do what most other countries do with regular TV. Don’t get me started on ticket prices…

11 Likes

In his position he should get them free! If I was getting my head bashed in for the company I’d have free PPVs in my contract.

5 Likes

So stupid of the UFC to put their product behind such an expensive paywall. No way they’re not hurting themselves long term getting so many less eyeballs.

5 Likes

Morgan Freeman Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

4 Likes

So true

Choose one of these…

1. Get ESPN APP subscription
  2. Pay $80

or

Watch for free

Either way you also get Jon Anik giving you ads every few minutes and a womens fight every card, plus the card filled with nobodies.

I miss the Condom Depot days

10 Likes

There’s plenty of people here that would proudly pay to support fighters…but people can only justify so much before realizing they’re being price gouged.

1 Like

Whenever I’m about to steal a UFC PPV I think of Dana not being able to bet table max at a Pai gow table and fork over the money.

5 Likes

A…Is it better for the sport,for one to be over it and not buy or watch at all?

Or

B…To be a big fan and stream fights illegally?

2 Likes

I wouldnt be purchasing any ppv just cuz of this
80$ for weak ass card with paid judges with bunch of no names point fighting each other and on top of that you get to watch shitty commercials, lol? WMMA? Why bother even paying for premium stuff if you still get ads lol

I like where ufc set their fans, they set them in a total retard seats :laughing:

5 Likes

That’s a very nice membery, fren.

1 Like

I used to buy all the cards, but when half the fighters wrestle fuck each other and it’s $80 a card, I find myself watching more BKFC than UFC.

4 Likes

Ppv is such an outdated concept.
Surely AI can develop a better more equitable model.

2 Likes