Alternatives to Wrestling (for beginner)?

Hello!

So I'm just about to start training in MMA (though each MA separately, as there seems to be more frequent classes that way) - and so far I've found a great BJJ instructor (Gi) and Muay Thai instructor.

However, as I live in the UK, the Wrestling seems to really scarce and lacking in my area. So I was wondering if I there are any alternatives to Wrestling that would be a good base for MMA? From what I’ve heard there are a lot of great Judo clubs local to me as well. 

I’ve got no intention of competing in MMA though, I just have a lot of passion for the sport - and it’s something that would both be great to take part in, and learn to know what is actually going on in an event.

Cheers

If you can't find a local wrestling club and aren't willing to visit Wigan on a regular basis then judo is a good option as it still has a strong tradition in the UK.

Here's a treat: http://video.yandex.ru/users/vaelunin88/view/143/

If you're anywhere near Adams club in Conventry you'd do well to train there asap.

Missing Glove Tape - If you can't find a local wrestling club and aren't willing to visit Wigan on a regular basis then judo is a good option as it still has a strong tradition in the UK.

Here's a treat: http://video.yandex.ru/users/vaelunin88/view/143/

If you're anywhere near Adams club in Conventry you'd do well to train there asap.
Thanks a lot for your reply! Unfortunately I live a few hours away from Coventry or Wigan, so it's not likely that I'd travel that far. However, in my city there is a lot of very good Judo clubs around.

Do you know if Judo will complement BJJ training though? From what I've read/heard, they are very similar in style/techniques (and possibly from the same heritage?), so I imagine they would work very well together?

Thanks

GrowCrops - Do you know if Judo will complement BJJ training though? From what I've read/heard, they are very similar in style/techniques (and possibly from the same heritage?), so I imagine they would work very well together?

Bjj came from judo and they both utilize the gi so yes, judo is hugely beneficial to bjj training. Throws and takedowns notwithstanding, your transitions from standing to ground, scrambles, and holddowns will get MUCH better as a result of judo.

judo.

Wrestling > Judo

(@'-')--@

LMAO @ seeing you here!

I'm gonna need something to do for 4 months while I'm away... I figure effing around in the ug is the way to go. Phone Post

what city you in?

http://www.britishwrestling.org/clubs.asp?section=29&sectionTitle=Find+a+Club

www.britishwrestling.org/clubs.asp 

where do you live in the UK, you'd be suprised at the amount of clubs and standard at the proper clubs in the north theres quite a lot of good wrestling.

Judo (imo) will never be as useful for MMA as wrestling will.

The gripfighting in each art is radically different, as in judo it's all based around gripping the gi; you won't develop pummeling and clinching skills that wrestling teaches by necessity (all of the upper body stuff).

Additionally, the rules of judo make it difficult for judo players to become proficient at shooting doubles/single, ankle picks, etc.

Judo will teach some submissions, however, and it will teach you to transition to pins (which = more dominant positions, usually) and submissions from the takedown; both of these are invaluable for MMA (imo) and may not be trained to the same extent at BJJ schools/sub grappling places (which are much more purely focused on the ground).

Many MMA places (at least stateside) will teach wrestling a bit, though.

That said, judo is a fantastic martial art and tons of fun to train.

Seul - 
Additionally, the rules of judo make it difficult for judo players to become proficient at shooting doubles/single, ankle picks, etc.

Come on, bro. Really?

Overall wrestling is a tighter, more controlling game than judo, but to say that about takedowns is just silly. European judo, and even to some extent American judo, has a strong wrestling influence and the rules do no hamper it in any way...save for the new pants grabbing rule. Hell, Ronda Rousey hit a nice single legs/ankle pick in one of her matches in Beijing.

I should have said you won't be AS proficient with them as you would be if you went the freestyle route.

A lot of guys in judo have some wrestling experience, it's true, but for the average guy who gets involved with judo(not a national/international competitor)with no experience in judo or wrestling you're not going to spend nearly the same amount of time learning doubles/singles as you would if you found a wreestling club, and none of the judo clubs in my area teach you how to shoot (I recognize my experience is limited, if judo clubs elsewhere teach shooting I think that's awesome).

I don't mean to say that I think you cant become good at leg takedowns by training judo.

It depends. You experience may be limited, but if you're an American you're not really getting an idea of what judo is like worldwide. Like I said, the wrestling influence is strong in europe especially, not just from people who once wrestled and now do judo. But rather, clubs and an expression of judo that's wrestling based.

For example: Russian judo - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxRZV3_jr8w

Russian judo is heavily sambo/wrestling based and they've been tearing up the mats since before I was born. Same thing with eastern euro(I like! lol) countries from the old soviet block, as well as British(though they're 50/50 wrestling and classic judo), Dutch and German judo. Even in Japan, the motherland of judo and the classic(upright) style, you'll find people who specialize in a more wrestling style of play. Hard to beat a style you never train against, right?

But in America judo is one of the least popular sports/martial arts, and our level of play reflects it. Sucks, but it's just the way it is. A YMCA-type club isn't a mcdojo(belt factory), but typically the level of play isn't too far off from most mcdojo/TMAs. So, you can't really judge judo as a whole based on what you see here. Especially when it's a thread about judo in another country.

That said, judo is not folkstyle/freestyle, therefore leg attacks are not king. This being the wrestling forum, if that's what you're looking for there's no substitute.

Judo or find a shootfighting or catch wrestling place. Either way you will benefit. If you develop in judo you will have a monster clinch. Look at every judoka in mma. I do not see them getting absolutely dominated by wrestlers like some people on here imply or say. Phone Post

Another treat:

http://video.yandex.ru/users/vaelunin88/view/210/

And the pound for pound best for eight years, fedor, is a judo blackbelt and is also a monster in the clinch Phone Post