Always Expect a knife

Expect the Knife. When it comes to Self Defense in 2023 you have to always expect that your opponent will pull out a knife. That’s the reason why classical BJJ techniques like the bodylock, which are great in empty hand self-defense, don’t work and are very dangerous, when a knife is involved. In this video, BJJ 4th degree Blackbelt Björn Friedrich is giving you some food for thought and shows you what you have to expect when it comes to a real world clinch scenario.

I really like Craig Douglas’s work on this topic. See Warrior Poet Society Network for a pretty good tutorial on this topic. (Also Shivworks just released an online tutorial but I haven’t perused that yet.)

1 Like

You guys ever been stabbed or seen anyone stabbed or cut in real life? I’m willing to bet no.

I’ve been stabbed 3 separate times. I’ve discussed it on here before. Once in the chest with a blade, once in the shoulder with a broken beer bottle, and once in the leg with a broken meth pipe

1 Like

I’ve been there when guys have been stabbed/cut. One thing is for sure, you don’t want to fuck around with a knife. If a knife appears you either run or give them what they want. If these aren’t options, you will get cut. That’s a guarantee.

1 Like

In my case i didn’t know there was a blade or even that i had been stabbed until after the encounter was over, and in two of the instances that meant me running away after getting stuck because i was getting jumped and attacked from all angles.

The time i got stuck with the meth pipe i had the guy in a shitty closed guard guillotine and he was just hitting my thigh trying to break open my legs and the meth pipe in his hand broke and cut the fuck out of me. I’m lucky he didn’t start hitting my abdomen or face with it. I didn’t even know i was cut or a meth pipe was involved until after it was over. We think that when he tried to tackle me and i jumped on a guillotine and closed my guard, he hit me once and the pipe broke, hit me again with the broke pipe, cut his own hand and he dropped it. It was on the ground next to us after it was over. My buddy who was a pro kickboxer was punching dude in his spine and when i let him go he got up and ran away. I was maybe 21yo tops at that time so my training was a mix of shitty mma from 2002 kajunkenbo and 6 months of legit bjj from when i was like 16 or 17

1 Like

My buddy got in a fight with a Mexican dude. He ended up beating the shit outta the guy and thought he was just getting knocked on the head a few times. Turns out the dude had a carpet cutter in his hand and stabbed my buddy 9x in the head. He was fine, but very bloody and lots of staples. Never saw the carpet cutter until it was over.

1 Like

Your friend was super lucky that could have ended badly!

Screen name checks out

1 Like

yeah but it refers to not any type of edged or point weapon…more blunt instrument :crazy_face:

Craig Douglas is very good.

Took his ECQC course which was very good, though that’s more of a gun course than a knife course. Have not done his Edged Weapon Overview class but hope to do so in the future.