Am I a counter puncher or....

the aggresser(spelling?)? I started sparring again and hopefully will have an am Muay Thai fight in the near future. While sparring today I thought to myself "am I a counter striker or the aggresser"? At what point in ones journey does he make a transition to either side. Is it the comfort level? I like striking first and setting up combos and I noticed I rarely counter. I take the shots given and then regain myself.

Will I stay on this path out of comfort? I'd like to start countering punches thrown my way but in MT I was told not to bob and weave to much because of knees and kicks. Anyone else ever take time to consider wether they are more comfortable as a counter striker or the aggresser?

..........................Guess not?@#$#!?

You're asking a serious question. You might want to try another forum.

i think people just stick with what feels best to them as long as its working. if you go out and get KO'd 5 times in a row, you might decide you're a counter puncher

I would agree that it depends on your comfort level. Personally I also consider my opponent (when sparring) in terms of height, reach and speed and act/react as I see accordingly. Other factors could include conditioning and experience.

An answer that I read on the boxing forum to "when do you counter?" was "whenever you have the opportunity to". I wholeheartedly agree with this. Clearly different people have different strengths and weaknesses and therefore I don't think someone should restrict themselves by a classification.

Agressor/counter puncher are fighting terms but strategies and techniques win fights.

Just my opinion from my limited boxing experience.

"I'd like to start countering punches thrown my way but in MT I was told not to bob and weave to much because of knees and kicks."

When I first started kickboxing, my training consisted of sparring and heavy bag work. No one taught me how to get out of the way of (slip) punches. As such, I learned how to take alot of punches to the face without getting knocked out. Trust me, it is better to be able to get out of the way and counter.