Andre Winner released by UFC

www.mmahq.com/blog/2011/07/11/andre-winner-released-from-the-ufc-following-third-loss/

TUF 9 finalist Andre Winner released following most recent loss to Anthony Njokuani

Not surprising really, hope Dre can find some good dollars elsewhere, probably BAMMA!

This was expected. There's loads of great fights for him in the Euro circuit though and I'm sure he'll eventually get back to the UFC

It'd be good to see him fight Reza Madadi at Superior Challenge at some point.

EliteMMA - It'd be good to see him fight Reza Madadi at Superior Challenge at some point.

or Alex Sarnavskiy at M-1. What a fight!

There's a lot of good fights for him it depends how his management want him to progress.

It's like that bit in the Extras Christmas Special where Ricky Gervais's new agent says to him:  "Do you want fame and fortune or do you want critical respect because there's only a  few people in the world who'll get both and you'll never be one of them."

Someone like BAMMA would probably match him up with a former UFC type and he'd get name recognition for beating someone who used to be in the big show. They'd probably give him someone in the Hermes Franca mould if the circumstances were different.

If he went to Europe he'd probably end up fighting a tough guy that nobody has ever heard of and, should he win,  gain critical respect on forums and from insiders but little else in terms of PR and coverage. Look at Che Mills when he beat Magomed Shikhshabekov at M1 and how little coverage that got.

So let me get this straight - winner losses 3 straight (1 sub, 2 decisions) and is cut.  Dan Hardy loses 3 straight (1 KO, 2 decisions) and gets rewarded with a main event?  Wow.

Off topic but UFC needs to sign Che Mills

epwar - So let me get this straight - winner losses 3 straight (1 sub, 2 decisions) and is cut.  Dan Hardy loses 3 straight (1 KO, 2 decisions) and gets rewarded with a main event?  Wow.

Red mohawk!!!! Phone Post

epwar - So let me get this straight - winner losses 3 straight (1 sub, 2 decisions) and is cut.  Dan Hardy loses 3 straight (1 KO, 2 decisions) and gets rewarded with a main event?  Wow.

Dan Hardy's losses in those three fights: GSP (#1-2 p4p), Condit (About to challenge for the title in next 6-9 months) and Rumble Johnson. He's also a very marketable fighter, decently known.

I know by default defending the logic of Zuffa's decision here will make me look shill-ish, but imo Hardy and Winner are different fighters in different positions in different divisions. Hardy's coming off losses, but he was on a run to the title. Winner won two fights in a row before losing 3, and that's been his UFC career (Not including his original TUF finale loss).

Each fighter's trajectory is different, it's all about timing and circumstance. Hardy's more valuable than Winner is, so they're keeping him and using him as such.

Winner vs Gunnar Nelson in BAMMA, would be a great fight for Nelson to get UFC call from. And yeah UFC needs to sign Che Mills after he destroys smokin joe villasenor

epwar - So let me get this straight - winner losses 3 straight (1 sub, 2 decisions) and is cut.  Dan Hardy loses 3 straight (1 KO, 2 decisions) and gets rewarded with a main event?  Wow.

There is WORLD of difference between losing to GSP/Condit/Johnson and losing to Lentz/Siver/Njokuani. Hardy is losing to the cream of the crop. There is no shame in that. Winner just lost to a guy who had lost three of his last four and was on the verge of being cut.

Steve4192 - 

There is WORLD of difference between losing to GSP/Condit/Johnson and losing to Lentz/Siver/Njokuani. Hardy is losing to the cream of the crop. There is no shame in that. Winner just lost to a guy who had lost three of his last four and was on the verge of being cut.

And looked awful doing it.

If one of your losses is a title shot it'll buy you another chance

as soon as WEC and UFC merged we all knew it was going to be win or die in the lightweight division being twice as cut-throat as before did we not?

the only intersting point for me will be whether or not any of the "cut from the UFC" guys end up in strikeforce for a second life...and face being cut again a year from now when that banner officially gets absorbed under UFC.