MMA Underground Forums

Answer to end Boring Fights/Cards...

If Dana puts on 8-man tourneys, like Bellator, then he could also make the fights more exciting.

Not to mention adding FINISH BONUSES!!!

If fighters know that the only way they'll get a title shot is by winning the tourney (and getting the bonus by finishing!), then they will fight like their entire career depends on it.

Dana, Can you not figure this out?

It's not rocket science. 

I highly disagree that this is a solution.....

if you know you have to compete in multiple fights, you're more likely to take even LESS chances.

get rid of PEDS which will force mma players to develop some fuckin skillz

Hel13torm - I highly disagree that this is a solution.....

if you know you have to compete in multiple fights, you're more likely to take even LESS chances.

have you seen bellator though? not so many dicisions

they know if they win they have to fight in a month so most try to finish quick.

Nexuscrawlers - 

they know if they win they have to fight in a month so most try to finish quick.

Thank you!

Simple solution to the whole problem...

TOURNAMENTS AND

FINISH BONUSES!!!

I asked Dana why he's avoided the ungodly popular tournament format after UFC 123, and he showed no interest, even with the influx of new WEC talent.

I honestly think they're missing the boat with tournaments, but I don't think it has fuck all to do with boring fights, fighters, or events.

Tournaments and Finish bonuses are a really stupid idea.

Yellow cards. That's the answer.

They already basically do 4 man tournaments, they just don't announce them as such, e.g. Shields/Kampmann/Kos/GSP.

Wrong.
Wrong.
Wrong.

He's said he hates tournaments because the best fighter doesn't always win, the matchups are more important.

Hell look at the 2000 OW GP - Igor had a much tougher road than Coleman. It's really not fair for a guy that fought 15 minutes to have to fight a guy that won in 30 seconds, I don't even want to see that.

Although I really did enjoy the Shine tournament.

Coleman:

Win Igor Vovchanchyn Submission (Knees) PRIDE Grand Prix 2000 - Finals 5/1/2000   3:09
 Win Kazuyuki Fujita TKO (Corner Stoppage) PRIDE Grand Prix 2000 - Finals 5/1/2000   0:02
 Win Akira Shoji Decision (Unanimous) PRIDE Grand Prix 2000 - Finals 5/1/2000   15:00
 Win Masaaki Satake Submission (Neck Crank) PRIDE Grand Prix 2000 - Opening Round 1/30/2000   1:14

Igor:

Loss Mark Coleman Submission (Knees) PRIDE Grand Prix 2000 - Finals 5/1/2000   3:09
 Win Kazushi Sakuraba TKO (Corner Stoppage) PRIDE Grand Prix 2000 - Finals 5/1/2000   15:00
 Win Gary Goodridge TKO (Punches) PRIDE Grand Prix 2000 - Finals 5/1/2000   10:14
 Win Alexander Otsuka Decision (Unanimous) PRIDE Grand Prix 2000 - Opening Round 1/30/2000   15:00

Yeah, but that was all from injuries in SAME-NIGHT tournaments, which wouldn't even be an option.

It should be the TUF format but with top fighters, but DW's not digging it.

MacNYC - He's said he hates tournaments because the best fighter doesn't always win, the matchups are more important.

Hell look at the 2000 OW GP - Igor had a much tougher road than Coleman. It's really not fair for a guy that fought 15 minutes to have to fight a guy that won in 30 seconds, I don't even want to see that.

Although I really did enjoy the Shine tournament.

The only Bellator tournament brackets i didn't like were the women. Having Lisa Ward and Fujii in the same bracket was stupid, IMHO.

But the tournament system is better than anything else...for determining initial champ and future contenders.

Yellow cards? Ridiculous.
I think a 10 min. & 5 min. rounds are a better idea than yellow cards.

Nexuscrawlers - 

Fans like tournament...

fighters do not....

it's too hard on the body... and to fight in the ufc these days just one time a night is difficult.

jkd4200 - Fans like tournament...

fighters do not....

it's too hard on the body... and to fight in the ufc these days just one time a night is difficult.

uh, dude, this is 2010, not 1997.