Any reformed haters of the lightweight division?

Jens Pulver being inducted into the UFC hall of fame brings to mind that the division wasnt taken seriously back then and was treated like the flyweight and womens divisions are now. And I dont see anyone hating on the division these days. Are there any posters who took part in the lightweight hate back in the day and are willing to admit it?

1 Like

ben stiller shut up GIF

6 Likes

I’m interpreting this as an implicit admission

You’re a dusche, interpret that.

Staring I See You GIF by QuikTrip

Ha Ha Lol GIF by UFC

Lightweight was never viewed like flyweight and WMMA. If anything, it might have been viewed as Pride having the better division with Gomi having his great run and being loved.

Do what now

4 Likes

I mean they literally didnt have have a champion for 4 years and got rid of the entire division for 2 years but okay. Remember when the UFC was going on a flyweight cutting purge including your current champ Brandon Moreno? And that this was only reversed when Cejudo beat TJ Dillashaw and started acting cringy? Thats how the UFC used to treat lightweight except they actually went through with their plan and got rid of the division.

Different factors went into that.

There were only like 8 cards a year

The champ left the promotion

BJ kept bouncing around divisions

Pride had a strong division, making it impossible to claim the best fighter

They canceled it because the fans were hating on the division. That wouldnt happen today except probably the women’s FW division once Nunes retires.

Answer the question. Were you watching mma in 2004 and what was your opinion of the lightweight division? Be honest.

Uh… for the last 10 years 155 has been absolutely stacked

Don’t forget sending the possible greatest fighter ever off to ONE

What I would pay to see prime BJ Penn v. prime Conor, or prime Penn v. Charles

Casual fans might of hated the division but hardcore fans never did.

1 Like

There’s no way they tested Sherk after the Florian fight. Steroid midget was juiced his entire career.

I still think the 2005 HERO’S LW GP that featured Kid Yamamoto, Royler, Uno, Sudo, Tokoro, Miyata, Takaya and Morkevicious was one of the most legendary and underrated LW tournaments ever.

HERO’s was new at the time so it probably never got the hype it deserved with that lineup.

He was a jacked LW-whiteboy, deal with it!

2 Likes

Did most my OGing around that time and I remember no one around here was happy about it. When talks started of the division returning general consensus here being that it was high time.