Anyone "drill" during sparring?

Does anyone do this consistently? How do you like it?

What I mean is I've been trying to add leg drag type passing recently to my game. I've drilled variations statically with a partner to get comfortable but haven't done hundreds or reps. Instead when I roll with whites and blues I'll practice passing with leg drag, initiate with it and go to familiar passes, or initiate with bread and butter pass and finish with leg drag. I get to side then I immediately slow down my drive, let them recover and pass again. It's really fun but not sure if it's helping to be honest.

One great thing is if done properly, the lower belt has no idea you're doing this on purpose and there is a rhythm that happens. It feels real without taking me out of the roll.

Anyone do this? What say you frens?

This is how most people reach a higher level imo. Most that I know who have clear games in their rolling usually always do this. Phone Post 3.0

Yup Phone Post 3.0

absolutely...

If it's a higher level person and we've been rolling for a while and I haven't come across the situation that I've been looking for, I will sometimes let them know what I'm trying to work. I don't want to stop and drill and I did blow the surprise, but they're willing to "naturally" get to that situation more often and I'll get a chance to work it against someone who has more saavy counters, better base, etc. than a blue. Being good friends with everyone, they kind of know what I'd trying to improve so my closest training partners generally just know.

I'm only a blue, but this is how I roll 90% of the time. Phone Post

3 BBs in a row and a resounding yes. I feel like I stumbled onto a BB secret...

shifts eyes, dumb smirk, evil laugh

I always hunt for the move of the day, the technique we just learned....if you can hit it while they are expecting it, it's safe to say you understand the details. Phone Post 3.0

All the time. I only do a move statically like 10 times then try to hit it against a live partner. If it doesn't work, I'll do like 10 more static reps based on how the people reacted and so on and so forth.

Everyday Phone Post 3.0

Often. Just did it last night, in fact.

Yes

spider guard - All the time. I only do a move statically like 10 times then try to hit it against a live partner. If it doesn't work, I'll do like 10 more static reps based on how the people reacted and so on and so forth.
Me likey, might do this from now on Phone Post 3.0

Best way to roll imo Phone Post 3.0

Absolutely drill when rolling. If you don't have a clear plan, or at least a general idea, of what you are going to work on going into a rolling session/class, then why are you there? rolling should be purposeful AND fun. You don't get better just goofing off or having no goals in your training.

Some people do the opposite: they spar while drilling. There you are practicing your guard pass (or whatever), and your jerkoff training partner is resisting as hard as they can.

Christophr - Some people do the opposite: they spar while drilling. There you are practicing your guard pass (or whatever), and your jerkoff training partner is resisting as hard as they can.

My life as a kids instructor summarized right there

We had about a dozen people stay for open mat tonight. I havent been rolling much lately, so I decided to grab a partner and just drill for about a half an hour after practice. Everyone else kept rolling, we kept drilling through the buzzers. For some reason I felt like we were getting some strange looks, maybe because our technique is crap, maybe because no one ever strictly drills at our open mats.

People do positional stuff, start in half or side, but rarely drill. I use that time to keep trying to learn. I'll find a technique someone posts on here and try and figure it out, or just run armbar and kimura drills. Not sure how the other guys feel about it, because they just want to roll and usually roll hard. One out of twelve will keep it playful. Rolling hard at every open mat is hard for a me to do at 36, and I would like to keep doing this for a looong time. Sorry for the FRAT. Phone Post 3.0

Absolutely. I pick something to get good at at the start of the year e.g. Cross choke from mount and endeavour to get into that situation every toll. I once spent a year and a half starting in bottom side control every roll to get better from there Phone Post 3.0

Sugarfoot - We had about a dozen people stay for open mat tonight. I havent been rolling much lately, so I decided to grab a partner and just drill for about a half an hour after practice. Everyone else kept rolling, we kept drilling through the buzzers. For some reason I felt like we were getting some strange looks, maybe because our technique is crap, maybe because no one ever strictly drills at our open mats.

People do positional stuff, start in half or side, but rarely drill. I use that time to keep trying to learn. I'll find a technique someone posts on here and try and figure it out, or just run armbar and kimura drills. Not sure how the other guys feel about it, because they just want to roll and usually roll hard. One out of twelve will keep it playful. Rolling hard at every open mat is hard for a me to do at 36, and I would like to keep doing this for a looong time. Sorry for the FRAT. Phone Post 3.0

Positional sparring is some powerful stuff. It allows you to "drill" your technique without constantly having to fight your way back into that position. Much easier than full on sparring. Positional sparring is extremely useful when you are using 1 or 2 techniques only to see how they will work on a resisting opponent. How else are you gonna know it works unless you are doing it on a resisting opponent?

aed333 - Absolutely drill when rolling. If you don't have a clear plan, or at least a general idea, of what you are going to work on going into a rolling session/class, then why are you there? rolling should be purposeful AND fun. You don't get better just goofing off or having no goals in your training.

There is a massive difference between what I wrote compared to coming into sparring with some stuff on the mind hoping to work it.

Everyone must do the latter imo but I have never seen the former. Literally work on a move, disengage and hit it again, then do it again and again till the round is over. Most guys roll then hit it a couple times but continue to roll. I'm talking about something completely different