Anyone else losing interest in MMA?

ttt

Ultimate wrestling and sub-par boxing - that's what the UFC has become, alright. (With a few notable exceptions, GSP, Anderson Silva, Machida, and a few others.

Can't wait for Fedor vs. Barnett.

Bring back PRIDE - or something like it.

Dana White is becoming a new 21ft century Vince McMahon,Jr.

And it's getting boring. Less-and-less real skill, and just and more-and-more a tough man contest between two guys with so-so skills.

That's not good enough!

i havent watched a UFC for months. I don't even watch the free stuff anymore on TV. My interest in the sport has dwindled over the last year.

Adopt the freaking PRIDE rules and things would liven up a bit!

I dont like decisions. I never have. If I get in a fight with someone, no one needs to tell us who won, we both KNOW who won, or no one won, but the idea that some judges decide who won a fight, is counter-intuitive.

When we all watch a fight, we should have 99% agreement who won, or the fight needs to continue. Obviously, the problem is the crappy ass matches that go forever with no winner. Dan Severyn had a few of those. Bad fighters, bad matchups.

Bottom line is, Im tired of fights with decisions. I want a submission or KO/TKO. Watching fighters work to achieve a decision is a joke.

YES!  YES! YES!  And my wife's friends have seen TUF and are experts now shakes head

"But it just seems that the amount of time guys USED to spend on cleaning up and refining there skills, is now spent in strentgh training."

Isn't that because that's what works the best? The whole sport originated in trying to find out what really worked.

Scramslam - I dont like decisions. I never have. If I get in a fight with someone, no one needs to tell us who won, we both KNOW who won, or no one won, but the idea that some judges decide who won a fight, is counter-intuitive.

When we all watch a fight, we should have 99% agreement who won, or the fight needs to continue. Obviously, the problem is the crappy ass matches that go forever with no winner. Dan Severyn had a few of those. Bad fighters, bad matchups.

Bottom line is, Im tired of fights with decisions. I want a submission or KO/TKO. Watching fighters work to achieve a decision is a joke.

MMA is a competitive sport, not a fight outside at a kegger, like it or not. And people often can't even agree as to won THOSE fucking fights! And while we're on the subject of street fights, I MUCH prefer judges as opposed to gassed grown men lying on each going:

"dude....do you give up? I'll stop if you give up."

"No, YOU give up. Fuck that."

"Well dude, how about a draw if we both stop right now?"

"No way dude, you're giving up. I totally kicked your ass."

"Dude, fuck you! I totally kicked your ass! I'm just offering you a way to uh...not lose the fight cuz you're my bro and shit. Not because I'm totally exhausted, kinda smell burnt hair and think I might be having a mini stroke. That's not it. Totally not it. I'm just saying..."

"DUDE! FUCK THAT SHIT! YOU GAVE UP! I WON! WOO! NOW LET GO OF THIS GAY ASS HEADLOCK!"

Anyhow, re judging with competition in general, inconsistency is a necessary evil. I'd rather deal with it every so often as opposed to having 4/5 big name fights being a 2 hr marathon mind fuck like Sakuraba fighting Royce Gracie (the one that mattered, not the 2nd one I've blocked out like one would do to the memory of being molested by their uncle).

Sometimes guys just can't finish each other off. (Boy that sounded much different than I intended...) It's inevitable. (Oh my, that didn't help much...) And decisions don't = bad. Some of the best fights in history have been decisions, and even some decisions that none of us would watch again were totally amazing to watch live.

Plenty of "finished" fights totally sucked ass too, in case you don't remember...

Dont think i'll ever be bored of MMA, it's the most unpredictable sport. Even more unpredictable than professional rock, paper scissors. I do however miss "HAAACCCTTTIIIOOOON", Knees to the face on the ground, Judging a fight as a "fight" not by the round, oh and high production quality and a ring/cage mat where there are no sponsor logos on it.

WTF is with all the whining about "athleticism" and "strength training" ruining MMA? Oh, never mind: I forgot how so many old school MMA fans came from traditional martial arts backgrounds.

Hell, not just traditional martial arts weirdo culture, but lots also came from various other misc "I know something everybody else can't even COMPREHEND....!" mindsets, like those of the pretentious record store asshole who passive aggressively runs down anything you buy for "not being as good as their older stuff..."

Not to mention those stemming from persistent wedgie flashbacks, revenge fantasies centered around the cool guys in high school who did "non-girl push ups" and/or got to touch vagina...

A lot of it sounds like an aversion to, and general resentment of, physical fitness and/or activity, to be honest. Well, a combination of those and the annoying prick who stops liking things when they get popular...

I always believed MMA would be huge and I'm ecstatic that it actually happened so fast. The improved athleticism and overall focus on strength and conditioning is not just the result of MMA BECOMING A LEGIT, RESPECTED SPORT, but the result of it evolving into the kind of event that Bruce Lee and other pragmatic martial artists dreamed about.

Part of being a bad motherfucker is being in shape: DEAL with it. Anybody who thinks you can't constantly evolve as a fighter while improving your physical conditioning (including, gasp, touching weights...) likely has very little experience with either.

Linkage - WTF is with all the whining about "athleticism" and "strength training" ruining MMA? Oh, never mind: I forgot how so many old school MMA fans came from traditional martial arts backgrounds.

Hell, not just traditional martial arts weirdo culture, but lots also came from various other misc "I know something everybody else can't even COMPREHEND....!" mindsets, like those of the pretentious record store asshole who passive aggressively runs down anything you buy for "not being as good as their older stuff..."

Not to mention those stemming from persistent wedgie flashbacks, revenge fantasies centered around the cool guys in high school who did "non-girl push ups" and/or got to touch vagina...

A lot of it sounds like an aversion to, and general resentment of, physical fitness and/or activity, to be honest. Well, a combination of those and the annoying prick who stops liking things when they get popular...

I always believed MMA would be huge and I'm ecstatic that it actually happened so fast. The improved athleticism and overall focus on strength and conditioning is not just the result of MMA BECOMING A LEGIT, RESPECTED SPORT, but the result of it evolving into the kind of event that Bruce Lee and other pragmatic martial artists dreamed about.

Part of being a bad motherfucker is being in shape: DEAL with it. Anybody who thinks you can't constantly evolve as a fighter while improving your physical conditioning (including, gasp, touching weights...) likely has very little experience with either.

just wow...

Weights is CHEATING. Everyone knows that. Carrying rocks and meditating in the splits is how a real warrior gets ready for a fight.

My interest has been waning for a few months now.

Agreed! I've made posts in the past about how tons of fighters flooding the sport were a More Jack of all master of none type now that rely on being athletic to win. The constant Stand Ups and modern MMA rules have encouraged guys to stand and "bang"(sloppy kickbox) and is watering down the sport. It's like whatever the flavor of the month is. I actually made the prediction back around 2001 that the sport would probably get watered down eventually, I noticed Training Partners and forum posts jumping ship every time someone started winning with a different style.

The Athletes have DEFINITELY evolved at the high levels...but the sport seems more watered down..guys who will never be good strikers but a great grapplers trying to Box/Kickbox just to "prove" something and be exciting to ignorant fans who just wanna see brawling.  I've seen some fights that looked like Toughman contests lol...Guys are happy with tying up and stalling to a decision..where as it should be to WIN decisively. When I kickboxed if it went to decision I felt like I lost even when I won..lol

And with all the McDojo "MMA" schools cropping up everywhere I'm sure it's gonna get worse at the low to mid level.

I've followed the sport since the First UFC, and trained since 1991 competing in Kickboxing, and started training BJJ after UFC 1. So I know exactly how you feel. I've always been more into my personal training, and just watched fights to sharpen my skills, and also watched for a good show too... 

Ive been bored with MMA for about 6 years. That doesnt mean that I find every fight boring, but when it´s simply two ´cookie cutter´mma fighters, I cant stand watching it. What I mean is that I still enjoy watching two extremely skilled strikers or grapplers compete...guys like Machida or Maia..but if they are simply just guys who are decent at everything, I find it boring.

The exception is when it is a friend that is fighting. I feel like Im in there with them when that´s happening.

The 10 point must system in MMA ruins it for me more than anything else.

Been saying this for about a year.

The "Jack Of All Trades" mentality has spoiled it.

It's easy to lose interest in something if you become too involved in it, and are doing it everyday without taking a break. Imagine if you were married to Megan Fox...you'd probably lose interest after...nevermind, bad example.

Personally, some fights appear boring because both fighters are so technically sound that neither leaves an opening for the other to capitalize on. Now, I realize that a really good technical fight can be exciting, but somtimes a good mismatch where one fighter gets raped for one or two rounds is more exciting.

I have to admit that I miss quite a few shows now. But it's probably more because my life has changed more than the a change in mma. Although the fact that there are SO many shows now, I just can't make time to watch them all.

Never thought this time would come.

But I'm still a rabid fan of good matchups and serious talent.