Anyone following ADCC?

Lol. Anyone who says leglocks are viable in MMA (outside of infrequent occasion) are fucking morons and have no idea what they are talking about

2 Likes

Better yet…You know what they should do?? They should invent a sport completely separate from submission tourneys where you can grapple, but also you can punch, kick, knee etc so we can actually know who they best fighter is.
That way submission tourneys can be about submissions.

Well fuck, look who finally decided to joint the discussion

1 Like

That’s the dumbest idea I’ve ever heard!

I think leglocks aren’t great in mma for a couple reasons

• the glove makes it harder to secure the grip/easier for opponents to heel slip

• level of bjj skill is lower in mma than in pure grappling, and getting super good at leglocks isnt as high of a priority as other grappling skills like positional control and wrestling

• obviously punches are a legit threat. Especially in positions like outside ashi (see Tonon vs Le)

3 Likes

Definition of combat

1. a fight or contest between individuals or groups

Wikipedia:

Martial arts are codified systems and traditions of combat practiced for a number of reasons such as self-defense; military and law enforcement applications; competition; physical, mental, and spiritual development; entertainment; and the preservation of a nation’s intangible cultural heritage.

If its not a martial art, is then Gordon Ryan the top tennis player in the world? HMMM

3 Likes

Ok sure. But we say “only grappling techniques” and i shoot in for a leglock and you try to KO me then it’s not within the rules of the contest.

This thread turned into so many terrible takes about subjects that are above some of your pay grades. Of course leglocks don’t work in mma when you suck at them :joy:

4 Likes

you’re only allowed to use leglocks from the bottom after being taken down or swept, otherwise your family will be exiled to roam the wilderness

2 Likes

Who is killing it in mma with leg locks? I’d love to hear it from someone at your pay grade.

3 Likes

Before my last fight I was training with this pure bjj guy known for leglocks . He said he didn’t understand why more mma fighters don’t invert . So him and I rolled , he inverted then got blasted in the face . He understood after that lol

6 Likes

Lol

Guys have been doing leg locks and the “revolution” way long enough now if they were going to hold a big place in MMA it would have already happened.

Leg locks are fine when there is a huge discrepancy in skill set. As you go up to higher level competition, the gap closes and leg locks aren’t near as effective which ultimately lead to losing the round or worse.

If they were worth a shit people would be utilizing them a ton, or at least a lot more in MMA.

There is a reason none of the top guys in the UFC fuck with them.

They will work on infrequent occasion, sometimes helping positionally. But generally put you in a bad position losing the round or just result in you getting blasted out in the face.

I love it when guys want to play footsie with me in MMA. But to each their own, you do you.

3 Likes

Is the percentage of leg lock finishes higher in combat sambo?

There is a lot of techniques that don’t work in mma until they do. Early ufc matches, a jab lead to a takedown. Now it’s a required skilled.

Currently, leg locks aren’t working. In time, I could see it could become a useful tool.

There have been about 5 skilled leg lockers in MMA, and all have submitted high level opponents

Aoki heel hooked Eddie Alvarez and Aoki locked kawajiri.

Imanari broke Mike Brown and Jorge Gurgel.

Palhares tapped Fitch, Branch, and a gang of others.

There’s a lot of people who’ve never rolled or sparred with a high level leg locker in MMA who are like “man, I’d just smack Ryan Hall in the mouth if he tried that leg lock stuff on me.” It’s like 3 IQ points higher than “I can’t be KO’d because of my mentality bro”

1 Like

So I don’t know about every single org, but to my knowledge heel hooks are illegal in combat sambo. So I think the rate of leg finishes would be quite low

Leglocks can’t be compared to punches or RNCs.
I don’t think anyone saying they can be.
They’re far more rare.
Leglocks are like knees.
Not something u can rely on but if u don’t train them then you’re crazy. Imanari alone has 13 leglock wins.
Not sure anyone has 13 knee finishes in MMA.
Do knees work in mma?

(In analysis of MMA stats I suggest we strike travis fulton from the record… for reasons we probably shouldn’t get into)

1 Like