Anyone here never train? New to it at 49

Been going to Muay thai for about 1 year now. Friday night, was able to step it up and hang for a long time against some tough guys. I’m old, but watched the sport forever.

I stick with Muay Thai purely because those are the class times that work for me. Doing it for days a week, Friday is the big gym spar night.

Got opportunity to fight 4-5 guys well more skilled on Friday night. Got one or two lucky shots landed on all, took a year to just get to that point, and I was still standing at the end.

I’m gone from 215 to about 173 lb. My head is better than it’s been in years, I’m not a really anxious person, but I’ve had a lot of bad stuff around my life. Lot of people sick. I’m so much more calm when I have some Muay Thai on board.

Just figured I’d start a Sunday morning thread to see if I can get some of you old fucks to get off your couch and give it a try! The best thing I’ve done for myself, possibly in my entire life.

I just have to add this, I was smiling when I was at the gym sparring. It felt good. I was amused that I found myself still smiling on the way home. And here I am TWO days later with massive bruises on both legs, a few dents on my face, and an ear to ear smile waiting for next Friday night. Get off your couch and go see your local gym. Take a few punches to the face and life seems a lot better!

9 Likes

Very cool - keep at it if you enjoy it!

Do you worry at all about head trauma as you get older? That’s one of my concerns to be honest now that I’m in my 40s. I trained when I was younger but am a bit concerned about ongoing head trauma as I get older.

1 Like

No fighting is gay. You’re touching guys. Very gay.

Hey, if you’re brand new to the sport and you’re already taking on 4-5 guys, you’re a natural! I bow down to you.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously, good on ya for giving it a go before you become senile.

1 Like

@anon9976974 quit being a fag. If you aimed the shot, threw it, and landed it, then it is not a lucky shot. So quit acting like a gay and trying to explain away the results of your hard work.

It’s a good sign. You start off landing a shot here and there, and before you know it your timing is improving and you are landing a lot. That’s not luck, that’s results.

Congrats!

4 Likes

I don’t at all. Have zero intent on actually fighting. Friday night sparring is as good as it gets. I’ve had very little head trauma to this point of my life. Had a ton of other trauma, really nasty emergent rupture of esophagus- quite honestly was opened up around half of my rib cage, but no one saw the scars yet. I’m sure it will raise some eyes.

1 Like

It’s nothing to worry about. At that age the only people trying to KO you are kids/women. They are generally easily blocked. Most men will keep it light.

2 Likes

Good to know!

Never trained and would be dog shite if I did.
But been watching UFC forever so still a bit.

Trained off and on for 30 odd years. Best piece of advice at your age is to spar with people within 10 years of your age. Some of the younger fellas tend to go all out.

1 Like

Good for you for doing what you love & having the balls to start training in you late forties!

i m 49
used to grapple
glad i stopped when i did cuz i feel half cripple as it is
also glad i never got into contact sparring, with all the brain damage talk nowadays

I’m dain bramaged from life in general, but my head hasn’t taken too many knocks. I’m going in with the mentality that I should go all in until this fun period comes to an abrupt hault.

At some point, it’s injury, then done. Seeing how I’m starting late, I’ll be ok with that time when it happens.

Till then, damn sparring is so much fun.

Good for you. I love MT but I still grapple. Wish I could train more

Good on ya bro.
I used to, but I’m older than you, scared of getting injured and being unable to work.

Always thought about it, but I have an office job and didn’t want to come in looking like I was out doing dumb shit on weekends by coming in bruised up. Now that most are working from home and busted lips can be covered with mask here, it could be a better time to try it.

I’ve trained pretty much my whole life between wrestling , boxing and mma . Once I retired from mma I stuck with bjj because it’s a great outlet and helps me with my soberity. Props to you for finding a way to cope with your mental health . I think anyone with mental health issues should do some type of training .