Anyone just train without competing?

I was surprised how many people chimed in about training only a couple times a week (or even once a week) on the other thread asking about open mat-only training; lurking on here it often seems like most of the people are training hardcore, 5 or 6 days a week, doing S&C on top of that for 2 a days, and competing religiously and often.

Do any of you just train casually and not really sweat competing? If so, how far through the ranks have you gone? For those of you who are black belts, do you compete much? Did you do it regularly while you climbed the ranks?

I'll confess I don't and have never particularly cared about competing. I have, mostly because my gym has a lot of competition-oriented guys and girls who are very serious about trying to get to every tournament possible in the area and I wanted to try it, but I generally just like training.

I'd be perfectly content training a couple times a week, lifting once or twice, and then spending the rest of my "training" time walking out in the woods. I came into BJJ from traditional MA that didn't have any competition outlet, and I've always just like the chance to train "something" a couple times a week as an outlet, a physical activity, and a physical art to learn.

I get regular huge dumps of adrenaline at my job, and I've wondered before if I did something more steady/low intensity if I would have more craving for the pressures/stresses/nervousness with competing, but if Im honest with myself I don't have much interest in it (though I feel like i "should", it seems like such a big part of many people's journey through BJJ).

What do you guys think? What are your personal goals and preferences with this? How often do you compete, how often have you competed, and how often do you plan to compete in the future?

Yep I do, I have made it to purple over 5 years so far. I train for fun/exercise, and for the off chance I need to choke a motherfucker out in the real world.

There is no competitions near where I live, and BJJ is not important enough for me to travel, is the only reason I do not compete.

I havent done a comp since '97 as a new blue. One and only comp.

On a good week im lucky and can get some mat time 2-3Xs/week.

I did a bunch of comps at lower belts. I'm not really into it anymore. 

Competitions can be a great way to set a short term goal  - you've got X number of weeks to prepare, so let's see what kind of targeted progress you can make in that time.  And also, let's use it as a deadline to get your fitness on point, and as a way of seeing how your overall game is going against folks you don't usually train with.  

Going up the ranks I loved competing. Now in my 40s, jiu jitsu just doesn't make up a large portion of my free time anymore. I have kids and other hobbies now. I still train, but only when I get the itch. I'm lucky if I train 2x a week. Sometimes I'll train for weeks and then stop for a couple of weeks.

I competed a few times a year in bjj and judo when I was younger. I think I competed once as a brown and none so far as a black belt. 16 years in now. I run a business full time which is seasonal. So I work 7 days a week Half the year.

I still train 3x to 4x a week. I have always looked at competition as a test of my progression rather than an end goal. Bjj to me is a lifestyle not a short term goal. I don't see the point in competing if I don't have the time to get my cardio up and put in serious extra training. I enjoy rolling and practicing more than competition. Phone Post 3.0

I did some competing in judo and a wee bit early in my jiu jitsu practice. I'm a black belt now. I have no desire to compete. In fact, though I train with guys who compete a lot, I think it can be detrimental to learning...at least learning jiu jitsu the way I want to learn it. I am interested in jiu jitsu for self-defense and I find that a lot of people who compete or focus on competition have no clue about real self-defense or fighting. It just isn't their focus.

People should do jiu jitsu for whatever reason(s) float their boat. I don't care about competition or proving that I'm the best over 45 year-old 195 lb. guy to show up on some weekend. For some, competition is their thing. Just not my thing. If I wanted a sport, I would've stayed with judo or started wrestling. That's just my take.

I competed once at Brown and once at Black.

Didn't want to talk and teach without having some experience to drawn upon. Plus I was concerned about future regrets.

The Milkman is bang on when he says it can be detrimental to learning.

Training competitively (whether literally "for a competition" or not) is about strengthening your A-game.  But most progress comes from developing weak areas (except at certain times in your growth).  So training your a-game constantly is, in essence, avoiding development.  

With that said, it has its role.  There's no better way to develop aggressiveness or endurance.  It's also good for a few other things.  

And just to thoroughly muddy the waters, competitive training is not always the best way to prepare for competition.  But it's a large component of it. 

I did a few as a white belt and early blue belt but I didn't really enjoy the experience so I haven't in about 8 years. BJJ for me is no different than playing on a softball team. I do it for excercise and to hang with my friends. Anything after that is a bonus. Phone Post 3.0

I train 6 times a week and some of that is competition training with world level guys. I haven't competed since 2004. I just love to train. I may compete in the future but I don't have the itch. Phone Post 3.0

I like competing but I'll be the first to say it's a poor use of time compared to just going to training.

It costs a lot and you kill a full day, sometimes multiple days, to get 2-5 matches. It is fun though.

The trend in youth wrestling, at least among some, is fewer weekend tournaments and more two day, weekend camps. You spend about the same money but the kid gets about 10 hours of quality drilling and wrestling vs 4 or 5 matches.

My son hits one of those camps a month. He will have to wrestle for his school but other than those dual meets, he's only going to 4 tournaments this season but their all big, national events. So more training, less competing, even for the little guys Phone Post 3.0

Meatgrinder - 

I competed once at Brown and once at Black.

Didn't want to talk and teach without having some experience to drawn upon. Plus I was concerned about future regrets.

That's what I THOUGHT I read a while back; that you only had ONE prior comp before having your amazing match against Miyao, at what, 20 years his senior? Daaaaammm!

^^^^ that's insane, to have competed almost not at all and then have a match against a Miyao.

CUO, what rank were you when you competed? I know you've spoken about starting GI, then switching to Eddies, then switching back to GI,

Teasach, I'm in a similar spot. About 5 yes of training, I'm A newish purple. Competed once just before I got my blue, and then I competed at a wrestling meet in college (only once, I didn't start until college and had trouble winning our competition spot in wrestle offs), and then I had one ammy boxing smoker.

Never had much interest in competing in any of them, but wanted to see what it was like and get the experience.

The older my daughter gets and the more my career heats up, the less interest I have in competing. I dunno, Its good to know that there are high-level folks on here who don't really care about competing much in any case. Phone Post 3.0

Yeah like 97% of all grapplers don't compete

Seul - ^^^^ that's insane, to have competed almost not at all and then have a match against a Miyao.

CUO, what rank were you when you competed? I know you've spoken about starting GI, then switching to Eddies, then switching back to GI,

Teasach, I'm in a similar spot. About 5 yes of training, I'm A newish purple. Competed once just before I got my blue, and then I competed at a wrestling meet in college (only once, I didn't start until college and had trouble winning our competition spot in wrestle offs), and then I had one ammy boxing smoker.

Never had much interest in competing in any of them, but wanted to see what it was like and get the experience.

The older my daughter gets and the more my career heats up, the less interest I have in competing. I dunno, Its good to know that there are high-level folks on here who don't really care about competing much in any case. Phone Post 3.0
What college did you attend that allowed you to walk on with no wrestling experience ? You made the starting line up but only wrestled one time?
Did you not wrestle unattached at open tournaments at least?

Your situation doesn't sound typical. Was it a club team? Phone Post 3.0

I stay away from competitions.  Not into the point game personally.  Also, Im getting older now and I want to train and teach for life.  

Been training 4.5 years, only competed 4 times

Seul, white and blue Phone Post 3.0

I competed regularly through purple belt. Got to Brown and life started getting in the way. I only competed maybe 5 times at Brown. Been a black for 3 months now and don't have anything in sight for competing.

But I train and teach 6 days a week, and 2nd a day 5 of those days. S/c 2 days a week. Damn financial, school, and family responsibilities take up my opportunities to. Phone Post 3.0