Are Muay Thai/Boxing Gyms Dirty?

do muay thai and boxing gyms have a rep for being dirty/unhygienic?

enlighten me.

The boxing gym I used to train at was really ghetto and dirty. Probably the best boxing place in Minnesota though. It was strictly boxing though and non-profit. I payed $15 once, and they never asked me again. Phone Post

Depends on the place. Lots of places are clean, but run down. Some places just don't care and they are disgusting. Some places care about image as much as being clean, so they look nice and are clean.

forumnewb - do muay thai and boxing gyms have a rep for being dirty/unhygienic?

enlighten me.
do you mean every MT gym, in every city, in the entire world?

if so, then...

octowussy - Yes. All of them everywhere.

octowussy - Yes. All of them everywhere.

why? please enlighten me. especially about muay thai gyms. i thought asians are supposed to be clean and polite and stuff, no?

The more known places are usually well kept, but I don't care what BJJ/Grappling gym you go to, there's ALWAYS a chance you'll get somethin. Old sweat soaked into the mats, grappling with people who don't shower before practice, someone doesn't clip their fingernails and scratch you, which could lead to infection getting inside the scrape. Etc. etc. etc. Phone Post

The dirtier the boxing gym, the better training you get. Staph is just a myth, the body just needs to build up immunity. Roll around in the dirt a bit son! (sarcasm)

No but in all seriousness, it comes down a lot to ventilation. I have been at gyms where there is no ventilation hardly at all. That is disgusting and I won't do it again. I got ringworm all the time at those places. Bleach became my friend.

In my experience, boxing gyms are definitely less hygienic than grappling gyms, but that's mostly because of less of a need. Very rarely is your bare skin going to be touching the canvas.

Speaking of canvas, it is much more porous and soaks up sweat/blood much more easily than a wrestling mat does.

There are different degrees obviously. Some look/smell like well a gym. Others aren't pristine, but at least better maintained.

We clean our mats everyday! Some gyms never clean them at all! it's disgusting! I heard of a lot of infections and diseases being caused because of the lack of hygene yuck! I hate training at dirty places or w/dirty people!

No great boxer ever came out of a place that smelled good.

Kirik -  No great boxer ever came out of a place that smelled good.

Resonate Phone Post