Arm In Guilotine? WHERE did it come from?

mata_leaos - 
HotSteppa - You see, most the history is nonsense. Arm-in chokes were around in catcha-as-catch-can and pro-wrestling. But the reality I knew someone circa 1995 that did arm in guillotines, and was told by a well-known BJJ black belt that arm-in was "wrong". But the guy would submit many people with it, but was told having the arm inside is inefficient, etc. So, I am sure it was around long before that too, at least by people trying it.

You’re absolutely right. No idea’s original and nothing’s new under the sun. I’m positive that someone as doing arm-in guillotines back in ancient Greece.

But I think it’s fair to say that Renzo really pioneered it in modern times (at least in the bjj circles) and was the first person to showcase it on a widely viewed sporting event on live television. In that sense he did a lot to bring it to the bjj community.

I know that luta livre guys have been all over a lot of the guillotines and other arm chokes that didn’t become popular in bjj until the late 90’s and 00’s.

Hi,

Yes, I agree to a point - he was one of the first well-known BJJers to say it was not “Wrong”. ;p

And of course, he and others have refined it further.

Remember when the Anaconda choke became “famous” when Nogueira introduced it to the BJJ community? That move it as old as anything but wasn’t known in BJJ circles. I appreciate alot more of the openess to new techniques in BJJ now.

Yeah, you always need to take the “invention” of moves with a big grain of salt.

Every culture has a style --or usually MULTIPLE styles-- of wrestling. The vast majority of which have died out.

Who knows what happened in ancient Pankration or Catch or Senegalese wresting or one of the many styles of Indian Wrestling, central European wrestling, SE Asian wrestling --many of which allowed submissions? Look at the wrestling techniques depicted on the walls on Beni Hassan; every move is a recognizable as something we do today.

There’s nothing new under the sun, especially when it comes to something so ubiquitous as humans grappling.

LOL, This is the same bunch who think mario sperry invented the chin strap and helio leverage.

![](upload://lvifnm1e7xuADl5u8JSaHDCGM5d.jpeg)

If you're doing an arm in front headlock and nautilus to the side to cinch it down, there is no appreciable difference. I also call a kimura a double wristlock and the americana/french armbar the upside down one, though.