Askren KOed

What? Hope this was a talk to text fuck up

3 Likes

Yep. That ringside view confirms it for me. Could even see the tweak in Ben’s walk forward that old ref saw.

3 Likes

Askrens a clown he has the worst standup ever in ufc and was out of shape

1 Like

Yikes, that was bad. The whole “I’m a competitor” thing didn’t really translate. He would have been flatlined if it went longer

When Bruce’s big brother introduces you as Ben Askew… you know you’re screwed.

4 Likes

He also looked like a dad bod retired fighter with zero boxing skills. Sucks he will be remembered as that guy who got knocked out twice in the most humiliating ways. But I guess he is ok due to the payday.

2 Likes

Askren, is an embarrassment to the sport of MMA. I was always an Askren fan, but he is a life joke. I had two people text me last night after the fight saying, “I told you wrestling is fake”. Granted they know shit about real wrestling or MMA, but Askren is a fucking tool who does MMA no favors. He’s a check chaser.

2 Likes

You’re just some faggot literally named “balls” trying to talk shit online. Boom roasted.

Ben would have been one of those guys with his hands full in the sparring round on bully beat down

3 Likes

This ^^^

Absolutely. Paul didn’t even plant when throwing that shot. His leg stayed in the air. No way that one shot is putting Askren on queer street.

Watch the new angle. Anyone who says that was a work is legitimately mentally challenged.

Askren got jacked and face planted. He could barely walk when he got up. I wish the ref kept it going but Askren was about to be put to sleep and it would have been brutal.

5 Likes

Seriously, Dana needs to get an actual decent UFC striker to dispatch this fool.

The point to take away from this is boxing is such a limited range in a fight that in a real fight it is very minor. Playing with range is so easy and stepping out of range and stepping into a clinch is effective against boxing.

The sweet science is complex and not easy to master, but it takes two fighters who are willing to play that game in order for the sweet science to work.

1 Like

This is one of the craziest things I’ve ever seen.

The hands and boxing determine more winners in MMA than anything else by far except for wrestling.

Generally the guy with the better hands and boxing wins the standup.

And the only reason Askren did so well in MMA without having any type of punching was due to his outstanding wrestling and scrambling ability.

He is a complete outlier as most people aren’t Olympic level wrestlers.

1 Like

MMA is just another sport and there are plenty of incentives for the fighters to play in the boxing range therefore giving the illusion that boxing is more important in a real fight than it really is.

A couple of the incentives are:

1. impress the judges.
  2. impress the boss. Dana pays more and gives more opportunity if you are an “exciting” fighter.

One of the things I liked about Ben is that he did his own thing. He did not care if he impressed Dana White. Go back and watch all of his fights and you will see just how limited boxing really is if the opponent doesn’t want to play that game. When one fighter doesn’t want to play the game the fight either doesn’t happen because one fighter stays away or the fight turns into a grappling match.

Honestly your assessment is one of the most off base crazy things I’ve ever read on here. It has to be a joke?

I’ll be nice and just say to each their own because this is so wrong it’s really not even worth entertaining.

2 Likes

Fine but what I said is true. 90% of all the things you learn in good boxing is designed to work against a boxer who is going to play that game with you. The counters, all of the traps, they are useless when the guy just simply plays range for defense and then changes the game once a clinch happens.

1 Like

Man you have no idea what you are talking about. People are in boxing range all the time in MMA and people can’t just force themselves out of that range 24/7.

If that was the case you’d see people clinch the whole time. It isn’t that easy. At all.

Boxers cut angles and all of the punching and slipping and blocking is 100% boxing.

Obviously not everything carries over and you have to tweak stuff (just like wrestling or any other art) but your assessment is totally wack and off base. One of the more off base and bizarre takes I’ve seen on here in a very long time.

2 Likes