Bareknuckle MuayThai seminar

The above are the few photos I managed to have taken of today's Ancient Bareknuckle MuayThai seminar with Colonel Amnat Pooksrisuk at Pro-Fitness & Martial Arts gym in Sterling, VA.

Need to give the Colonel his props! He is totally badass! Even though it was a very hastily arranged and very short seminar (only 3 hours), we all had a blast! We had fun and learned a LOT! (and he BARELY scratched the surface!)

this is the DVD that is available on customflix? it has gotten very good reviews, and 3 hours isn't so short

dunno about "customflix", but its offered on ancientmuay.com

The DVD was put together by Vincent Giordano, who posts as Pahuyuth1 on this site.

3 hours was really short considering all the info he was prepared to go over with us. He likes to literally have an ALL DAY seminar, but we simply were unprepared to host that....

This seminar came together on ENTIRELY too short of notice....

LESSON: Never leave the arrangements for a seminar to two Thai people to arrange. You'll never know what's going on until, at most, 1/2 hour before things are supposed to begin. And most likely, not until about 15 min's after it was actually supposed to start! (I'm joking about my coach, Master Danny in the above pics with Colonel, not the Colonel himself, BTW!)

http://www.customflix.com/208055

Is this the same seminar? It is the one I've heard good stuff about

Different Seminar same guy. I have heard excellant things about it. This thread reminded me I wanted to grab it a check it out

excellent, same guy on two different DVD's...

I think it may be the the same DVD being sold on both sites

yeah, I just checked and it is the same DVD. But a good one apparently, heard nothing but good reviews

thanks Phil

Gotta admit his landmine solution was both simple & ingenious!

Landmines are an interesting obstacle in certain areas. I know the Karen Gurillas led by the twins started raiding into Thailand. The thais had stayed out of there issues and were actually sympathetic so of course tehy decided to raid Thailand because the rebellion was going so successfully in Burma.

Its great to see thelinks betwen ringsport and the older systems

Yeah, thats the same DVD! I actually got the Colonel to autograph my copy, LOL!!!

hello KK, Phil, lkfmdc and Ryukyu Damashi et al --- been a looooong time.

i was lucky to be able to attend the seminar that was hosted by Pahayuth1 when the Col. was in NYC. i've been meaning to post a review of the dvd but just am busy with work to check out the forums much :-(

many think 'Muay Thai' and they think it is pretty streamlined and efficient. the Col. showed a move that eliminated 2 tempos of a technique sequence that is commonly taught. very JKD for me :-) he taught us a simple move which seemed to be at the crux of his system of ancient thai bareknuckle ("respect your opponent"). if one wanted to, they can pretty much use that one move for a lot of self-defense situations similar to what is taught in reality-based self defense. along with that, there are the methods on how to drill with the line drills and there were pointers on how to have simple and safe responses to common self-defense situations. tied up with work now to go into it more.

although the dvd was titled as fundamentals and basics, i hope any intermediate or experienced practitioners check out the Col. through seminars or at the very least through the dvd, and not pass up the opportunity thinking they know it already. if given the opportunity to train with the Col. again, i would in a heartbeat.

the dvd itself has excellent production values, but more importantly, don't think because you are an advanced student, that you will not be able to learn anything from a 'fundamentals/basics' dvd. it's the first of its kind in dvd instruction in the ancient thai bareknuckle systems, for many, they have never been exposed to it, so how you know it already? :-) it's similar but not the same as muay thai, it has the thai flavor, but the bareknuckle systems cuts to the point since it's not a sport mentality.

one of the added benefits is how the Col. presents his material within a military context. he is one of 4 authors on the Thai Art of War and the other 3 are in their 80's. he is in his mid-to late 40's. he fears the other authors will pass on and something may happen to him, so he is educating us before this knowledge of Thai bareknuckle is lost.

sorry for the rambling as this was post was all stream of consciousness writing. i should've took the time to properly write a good post, but am tied up with work.

p.s. my thanks to my training partner giving me a headsup about this thread.

i will add that the seminar i attended was 4 or 5 hrs but it breezed through fast. the Col. did not have the time to really teach the material that he wanted.

we had dinner and went back to the gym the seminar was held at. there was a capoeira class going on and a few of the students were quite advanced. i asked him his thoughts on facing a capoeirista (sp?) and was in appreciation with his sharing of his thoughts.

-jk

LESSON: Never leave the arrangements for a seminar to two Thai people to arrange. You'll never know what's going on until, at most, 1/2 hour before things are supposed to begin. And most likely, not until about 15 min's after it was actually supposed to start! (I'm joking about my coach, Master Danny in the above pics with Colonel, not the Colonel himself, BTW!)

I've learned this the hard way too!!! Western rigidity for scheduling conflicts with the "mai pen rai" approach of the Thais.

pisand,

is 'mai pen rai' translated to something like 'not a worry' or 'no problem'?

in cantonese, 'mo mun tai' is like no problem or not a worry and in mandarin it's 'mei wen ti' so the mai pen rai is similar sounding enough for me to remember :-)

That's it. You know how many times I heard that in Bangkok? Try crossing the street as a pedestrian in a real life Frogger game...only to hear that. And you're thinking, "No, grievous bodily harm" is a big problem.

I used to have a book titled "Mai Pen Rai" means Never Mind. Really interesting read, a kind of window into the Thai culture and the way they think....

pisand,

lol - that reminds me of when i was a kid, thinking i'm fearless cos i'm from nyc walking across park ave with the light against me and i go to beijing and there were millions of bicycles with no lights whatsoever. scared the crap out of me to cross the 'street'

KK,

did that book have anything on MT or KK or just strictly Thai culture in general?