Barra Gracie Question

With the Pan Pacs so recently having passed I had an interesting thought.

Since both Marcelo and Peter deBeen are both Gracie Barra schools, do they compete under one Academy Banner? If so, which school, Barra Sydney or Pete deBeen? Who is senior, Marcelo or Peter?

Just an interesting thought that I had. Anyone who can clear this up? Just something else to talk about...

Elvis

I noticed that the two Barra Gracie teams represented each other separately in the Team results.

Is there any reason for this? I'm suprised that they didn't come under one Gracie Barra banner. I mean both guys represent Gracie Barra in Brazil. Both guys are Graice Barra.

Anyone know why this is?

Elvis

Elvis the explanation is relatively simple.

The Gracie Barra club is located in Barra da Tijuca in Rio, but there are affiliate clubs such as Belo Horizonte and Ipanema etc.

Peter de Been founded Gracie Barra Australia in the mid 1990s. On a number of occasions when he has competed at the Mundial, Pete has represented Barra when he has been selected by Carlos Jnr. for the competition team. However last championships he represented Barra Australia along with a number of his St. Kilda students.

Peter and Marcello are both black belts from Gracie Barra, and if they competed for Gracie Barra Rio, would be team mates. However the two clubs formed in Australia (Gracie Barra-Australia and Gracie Barra Sydney) do not combine championship points because they are essentially not linked. That is to say they were formed independantly from one another.

That is not to say however, that Marcello and his students would not be welcome at St.Kilda or Torquay. They most certainly would be. As I suspect the reverse would be true.

Fair enough. That sounds reasonable. I just expected them to work together under the Gracie Barra Team.

Interestingly, all Machado schools represent the Machado Team. When at the Mundial, regardless of where the Machado school is from (Dallas, LA, Sydney, etc) they all come under the Machado Team.

Thanx for the details.

"That is not to say however, that Marcello and his students would not be welcome at St.Kilda or Torquay. They most certainly would be. As I suspect the reverse would be true."

This I know as one of Pete's students moved to Sydney and Pete requested that he train with Marcelo.

Elvis

What about John Donehue? Why doesn't he compete under Machado? He's under Rigan Machado, same as John Will.

No John Donohue is under Nova União

John Lewis and Andre Pederneiras

Thanx gsw. He did get his black belt under Rigan. He then changed academies to Novia União. That's why he doesn't represent Machado (though he did while he was).

Elvis

Elvis, why dont you just phone up Marcelo and ask him. I've heard he is a nice guy. Maybe if all the instructors made more of an effort to get along there would be less of this bullsh#t politics.

Then again maybe not.

James

You're right I probably could have. But it really wasn't that important a question. It was something I thought of while I was on the net and thought I'd ask.

Thanx for the suggestion though.

Elvis

Good question Elvis i was confused myslef..

reback why dont we all just ask the person directly the question we want to know then there wont be any forums with people discussing things!

BTW, this wasn't intended to stir the pot. I thought it was a fairly neutral question.

Elvis

My wife and kids would love it if we all just rang the person we wanted to ask the question to and these forums died, then she could get me to do more around the house and the kids could have their turn on the computer. ;)

Same here, but then I'd have to find another addiction!

And all 5 Machado brothers are black belts under Carlos Gracie Jr. (Barra Gracie), everytime they go to compete in Brazil they compete representing Barra Gracie Team using BG patch on their Gis.

They do..? dont all the machados fight under the Machado name at the Mundials in brazil?

Something that should be pointed out is that for someone to represent Gracie Barra in competition they must satisfy two requirements. Firstly they would need to train, or have trained, at Barra da Tijuca. Secondly they must qualify for selection on the team based on merit.
Carlos Gracie Jnr. selects the competition team.

Remember that at Mundial and Pan American level each team can only have two representatives from each weight level in each belt category. So at black belt level that would mean only two medio, two leve, two super pesado etc etc. It is always very competitive to make the competition teams in Brazil.

The Machado's can represent Barra if selected, but if not they would most likely represent themselves.

Similiarly when selected by "Carlinhos" Peter de Been represents Barra, but on the occasions when he hasn't been selected for the Barra team he represents Barra Australia.

"And all 5 Machado brothers are black belts under Carlos Gracie Jr. (Barra Gracie), everytime they go to compete in Brazil they compete representing Barra Gracie Team using BG patch on their Gis."

That is correct. They got their Black Belts from Barra Gracie and that is who they represent (as there was no Machado Association back then). Though all their students represent Machado. I believe it is pretty standard for a Black Belt to represent the club where he got his Black Belt from, even if they start up their own club/team.

Elvis