Bellator President Coker Gives Update On GOITI YAMAUCHI

Goiti Yamauchi suffered a nasty knee injury at the conclusion of his Bellator 292 scrap with Michael Page.

Yamauchi and Page shared the cage inside the SAP Center in San Jose, California. This one only last 26 seconds as Page landed a leg kick that totaled Yamauchi’s knee for the TKO finish. It was not a pretty sight, and it was quite clear that Yamauchi [suffered an injury](https:
Bellator President Scott Coker provided an update on the welterweight during the Bellator 292 post-fight press conference (h/t Bloody Elbow).

“Based on the X-ray, it’s a patella tendon rupture,” Coker said. “So that sounds very painful.”
Orthopedic surgeon Dr. David Abbasi uploaded a video on his YouTube channel and discussed the severity of Yamauchi’s injury and why surgery is required.

“There seems to be a pattern here…. MVP causes serious damage to skeletons. This gap in knee is patella fracture. This needs to be brought back together & fixed surgically (screws & sutures) to allow him to extend knee again. So you want to be a fighter?”

Speaking to reporters during the Bellator 292 post-fight press conference, Page recalled the moment he knew Goiti Yamauchi wasn’t going to continue fighting.

“I saw him go down and I just thought, I don’t know — nerve [damage] or whatever,” Paige said. “But when I saw him grasp his leg, I was like, ‘He’s not getting back up.’ I didn’t see the lump [in his kneecap] until I looked up at the screen. I’m in my celebrating element, and then I actually looked up to see what it was, and it kind of took the energy out of me.”
It’s a tough pill to swallow for Yamauchi, who was hoping to continue to ride the wave of momentum he had with a three-fight winning streak. Yamauchi was also coming off a second-round knockout win over Neiman Gracie. This is Yamauchi’s first defeat since April 2021.//www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/bellator/bellator-292-results-michael-page-stops-goiti-yamauchi-in-round-1-video/) that will keep him out of action for a while.

5 Likes

I just hope Yamauchi has some savings stored away, that looks like it will take a long time to recover from.

1 Like

Wonder how Pico’s recovery and rehab is going?

Is this what happens if you train too hard on a torn meniscus? Ive heard some gnarly patella shit can happen

That was savage. MVP is the best

1 Like

Big John called it during the fight the exact injury.

1 Like

venum

1 Like

Bellator has some of the most anticlimactic endings in all of combat sports. They had that other ridiculous TKO when Musayev got hit in the groin, but the ref deemed it legal because it hit his chest first then his groin on the way down.

What happened to Pico?

1 Like

Dislocated his shoulder throwing a punch his last fight

Tttorn meniscus

Answer me orthopedists

Goiti Yamauchi went under the knife to fix a knee injury suffered in his most recent Bellator bout with Michael Page and it was a success, the welterweight fighter told MMA Fighting on Thursday.

Yamauchi, who suffered a patella tendon rupture after Page kicked his kneecap just 26 seconds into their Bellator 292 clash on March 10, said he’s “way better now” after undergoing surgery on March 14.

“I think that was a first in 30 years of MMA,” Yamauchi said of the injury.

Yamauchi said he’s already doing physical therapy but has no timetable for a return to martial arts training. Yet, he expects to resume training “faster than expected [because] my is body healthy and full of energy.” As for a return to action inside the Bellator cage, Yamauchi believes a more realistic scenario would be in 2024, but could happen in late-2023.

“It really depends on my recovery and confidence,” he said.

Yamauchi (28-6) was on a three-fight finishing streak over Neiman Gracie, Levan Chokheli and Chris Gonzalez when he suffered the devastating defeat in San Jose, his first since moving up to welterweight.

Mvp really drinks a lot of milk

1 Like

My friend broke his tibula in a fall and had a titanium rod put in his bone. He said he didn’t like the feeling and opted to have it removed. I would have left it in!

Hail yes

1 Like