Bellator suing UFC

Samoa -
Brandorm -
Samoa -
Brandorm -
Samoa -
Brandorm -
Samoa -

........and it's a lawsuit in a different jurisdiction than the anti trust suit filed by the fighters org against the UFC. 

The documents I read are a motion not a complaint. A complaint is a lawsuit. A motion is a motion.

I'm not a lawyer but every media outlet is framing it a lawsuit. Wouldn't a motion be filed within the same court that would be issuing the demand for documents?

Yes, it generally is considering there is an existing action so the court with jurisdiction would usually be where the original suit was filed.

Which is odd because Bellator filed in California but the anti trust lawsuit is being heard in a Nevada court. 

I agree. Federal courts do operate differently than state courts, but still have different circuits, districts, etc. The only reason I can think Bellator went to the California court is if that is where they have their principal place of business, so they are claiming that court has jurisdiction to hear the motion.

Makes sense. Good discussion. I think you're original position was right and mine was incorrect. I was duped by sensationalism in the headlines. 

"Bellator sues the UFC" is much sexier than "Bellator files motion to block two subpoenas". 

Definitely more sensational. You would never hear an attorney tell another attorney they filed a lawsuit against somebody when they simply filed a motion. Have a good night.

Ryann Von Doom -

The ufc sold for 4.2 billion dollars, and the fighters didnt see a penny. They are the product and it's their blood sweat and tears that made it. Add in the fact that dana boasted about it constantly and how he has x amount of cars etc... they are the nfl of mma and it's the reason why they are the focal point. 

Wow. You have have worked for some sick companies if they have you a cut of the pie when they were sold!!

Samoa -
Brandorm -
Samoa -
Brandorm -
Samoa -
Brandorm -
Samoa -

........and it's a lawsuit in a different jurisdiction than the anti trust suit filed by the fighters org against the UFC. 

The documents I read are a motion not a complaint. A complaint is a lawsuit. A motion is a motion.

I'm not a lawyer but every media outlet is framing it a lawsuit. Wouldn't a motion be filed within the same court that would be issuing the demand for documents?

Yes, it generally is considering there is an existing action so the court with jurisdiction would usually be where the original suit was filed.

Which is odd because Bellator filed in California but the anti trust lawsuit is being heard in a Nevada court. 

I agree. Federal courts do operate differently than state courts, but still have different circuits, districts, etc. The only reason I can think Bellator went to the California court is if that is where they have their principal place of business, so they are claiming that court has jurisdiction to hear the motion.

Makes sense. Good discussion. I think you're original position was right and mine was incorrect. I was duped by sensationalism in the headlines. 

"Bellator sues the UFC" is much sexier than "Bellator files motion to block two subpoenas". 

It appears that Federal Rule of Civil Procedure Rule 45 changed in 2014 from the way I described it previously to where jurisdiction for motions to quash to where the defendant resides/principal place of business. Below is an excellent article explaining it. https://www.law360.com/articles/588253/new-jurisdictional-issues-when-moving-to-quash-a-subpoena