Ben Askren vs Jordan Burroughs May 6 MSG

God Of Thunder -

Why would he ever agree to do this? Ben is gonna get embarrassed and will look bad as a fighter representing mma. 

It’s for charity and he gets to expose his academy.  

That’s a win-win

Would be fun to watch…we’ll see if it happens.

Dryfly: Agreed that tilts, especially the cross-wrist tilt, are closely linked with freestyle mat wrestling. Interestingly, they are one of the few areas in which I consider freestyle to be physically more difficult. A good tilter can tilt with a reasonable amount of physical ease. Gutwrenching touch guys is exhausting.

I agree with your observations about how most top guys compete in the freestyle of greco circuit. It’s good for a number of reasons–reduce burnout, increase ability to get good mat time against top guys, and get a ‘different feel’ than folkstyle alone provides.

The only weight that consistently sees 1-season wrestlers succeed is heavyweight, because the best HW athletes tend to play football, as well.

LJB - 
God Of Thunder -

Why would he ever agree to do this? Ben is gonna get embarrassed and will look bad as a fighter representing mma. 

he agrees to it because it is bigger than just a win or a loss...

get on board or move on...

Yup.

Ben is a competitor and he cares about the sport.

if this happens i will be attending

God Of Thunder - 

It’s gonna be ammo for his next opponent if he loses this match. It may send Ben into a downward spiral 

A downward spiral? You think Ben doesn’t know how to recover from losses? His undefeated MMA career came after the biggest loss of his life–the Olympics.

“You lost in wrestling to the second greatest American wrestler ever” isn’t a great burn. It’s like claiming Conor’s loss to Mayweather would provide ammunition. It didn’t because anyone who tried to use it would look like an idiot.

Ben is a Hodge trophy winner. He had the NCAA record for pins. He is a former Olympian. Only three other people in MMA have wrestling records near his level (DC, Cejudo, Romero unless I’m missing someone). Losing to Jordan Burroughs won’t change that.

Honestly, you post some of the dumbest wrestling related stuff on this forum.

God Of Thunder -

It’s gonna be ammo for his next opponent if he loses this match. It may send Ben into a downward spiral 

Any other retarded thoughts to share...?