Ben Funky Askren has a book coming out

I’m eager to get into his head - if you have watched his Flo doc then you would know what I’m talking about…he’s like a wrestling calculator.

Overview

A riveting memoir by former MMA champion and Olympic wrestler, Ben Askren, who cut a polarizing path through amateur wrestling and professional mixed martial arts as a firebrand figure who fans loved or hated—but could never keep down.

“This is a wonderful and revealing look at one of the greatest American athletes of the last twenty years.” —Ariel Helwani

One of the most dominant college wrestlers in history, Ben Askren became a folk hero during the 2008 Olympics in Beijing, before going on to become a multiple time MMA champion and one of the sport’s biggest stars. Through it all, he emerged as a cult figure in combat sports.

Here, in the pages of Funky, this record-breaking wrestler and polarizing UFC fighter shares how he came to dominate opponents while blazing a trail through competitors in unprecedented ways. Not blessed with natural athleticism, he revolutionized folkstyle wrestling by innovating his own technique, developing a scrambling, unorthodox style, which earned him the famous nickname, “Funky.”

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/funky-ben-askren/1141069107

1 Like

I was only second the CRE in my support for Ben Askren coming to the ufc, I thought he had what it took to beat GSP, I thought he had enough headroom in his skillset beyond what he had shown and that we would see that when he stepped up in competition.

But then the son of a bitch brought the same horrible plodding wrestling gameplan to his last chance fight in the UFC and Ive just been disgusted with the guy ever since and I generally cant stand him. I truly wonder how CRE feels about Askren now.

2 Likes

I hear you loud and clear. I was also ecstatic about Askren signing with the ufc . I really couldn’t wait to see how his funky style wrestling matched up with Usman and Colby. Then he fought Lawler and it worried the shit out of me lol. Then the Masvidal fight just killed all hype. I don’t even like to think of the Maia fight

Ultimately we never got to see Askren truly wrestle in the octagon. I’m still a bit stumped as to how how a pretty smart guy in Askren thought he could just stroll into the ufc and not even attempt to improve his striking or his set ups. He has one of the most disappointing and worst ufc runs in history .

I’ll read his book though

1 Like

Did he have a twin brother he used to pound behind the barn?

4 Likes

That is a train wreck of a joke.

5 Likes

His striking made him unwatchable

Thanks Jorge

^ haha no way, did that happen?

ah did he continue with the podcast to track the collapse? lol

Yeah, I can almost understand about the striking but the utter lack of setups was criminal. Like when he literally lunged for the takedown from his side of the cage at the opening bell against Mas.

He was like 35 when he got to the UFC…you people are nuts expecting him to be prime.

1 Like

^nice

I read on the UG that was how you become a good wrestler, you pound each other behind the barn and when you are ready you double team your dad.

2 Likes

No one said that.

DC had his first fight in the UFC AT 35 as well, Yoel was 34 first fight in UFC. All wrestlers lol

3 Likes

Hated Askren in his One run, always obvious he wasn’t great and was completely one dimensional. But then he stepped up, came to the big league, lost violently, and was humble as fuck in the face of embarrassing defeats

Can’t ask more than that, respect to him. Better to try and fail, than be like MVP and never try

2 Likes

Lol i forgot about that. Right before the crypto market crashed

homer-backs-into-hedge.gif

1 Like

Exceptions to the rule and none of then had a bum hip.

“one of the sport’s biggest stars”

uh uh no GIF