Bench does not = punching power

I disagree that you are born with punching power or not.

It's like saying you're born with a good golf swing or not.

The punch like a good swing is a mathematical equation.

anyone wanna bet the author of this thread cant bench much

I will have agree with the PolishPunisher .

Fujita is not known for his punching power and just because he can lift 565 lb. b.p. doesn`t make him a hard puncher. Strong ? Yes . Hard puncher? I don`t think so.
He does too many things wrong when it comes to punching technique.

If you want to punch hard, learning to box is your only option.

Learning to box and working on your explosive strength will make you hit like a truck.

I think the bench press will improve your punching power to an extent. It increases the power in your shoulders and pecs, which mean u have more potential force behind a punch.

But on the other hand at the end of your bench press your muscles are working to slow down the bar, and as we all know the punch is a follow through motion, so this isn't good. The only way to combat this is to release the bar before you get to your limit of reach. I think I'll leave that for somebody else to try out!

So, I guess doing the bench press is good for punching power if it's part of a wider workout, but not if you over do it. I don't think u can beat boxing training, especially hitting the heavy bag.

This discussion needs to be carried over to the "who can hit harder than Mike Tyson" thread, which started out like this before degenerating into a battle between trolls.

This always seems to be a recurring discussion. Strength is only one factor in fighting, but it is a factor. I've known big strong guys who actually hurt themselves throwing full forces punches (usually bodybuilder types). Hell, one top level guys from years ago (Samir Bannout) tore his tricep trying to punch someone.....
But if two guys are equal in all other things, the stronger will win. Why else do they have weight classes and drug testing?

"If you're just learning how to box and your boobies are sore, you're doing something wrong."

not only did this make me lol, but has truth to it as well.

"Without power in the tricep, you can twist your hips, etc. all you want, but it would be like throwing a wet noodle without tricep power."

Okay, I admit I know nothing about punching, but wouldn't this only be true for a straight punch? Your tricep does nothing in a hook or uppercut where the arm stays bent.

Physics

Force=Speed X Mass

Someone who has high bench press and curl numbers but has never boxed will have a much harder punch than someone who has boxed forever but has weak bench press and curl numbers.

bench press and curl = secret to punching power

Punching power begins with proper body mechanics - launching from the ball of the foot, drive of the thighs, torque of the hips, rotation of the shoulders, shoulder leaning forward, elbow tight and disciplined, snapping, accelerating, explosive motion and tightening at the end. The degree to which muscles facilitate this "snap and blast" is the degree to which they help, or hinder the process.

The only thing that matters as far as punching goes is how much someone can curl or bench. I bet Sam Pai Kenpo can bench well over 500 and curl well over 300.

Bench is just a part of the bigger picture but its laughable to say it the biggest part. Back when I was skinny and weak I could still very hard, due to proper punching technique and mechanics. Now that I have done strength thraining my power has no doubt improved, but not enough to make a difference IMO. Learn how to punch first, because thats most important then balance your lifting regimen to build strength and endurance in your back, shoulders, and chest.

Daren, I top bench was 315 lbs. 8 times without bouncing. Not great, but not terrible. Anyway, there are a lot better functional methods for deveoloping strength than a bench press.
Evander was one of the biggest advocates of weight and I didn't see him become any kind of huge puncher after training with Lee Haney (all though he has some impressive KO's including the Buster Douglas KO) most of his knock outs come through attrition.

i agree with buddie. but it's hard to convince people who spend more time training their bench press, than the amount amount of time training on a heavy bag.

take two guys with no prior experience strength training or boxing training, equal size, one has done nothing but bench press for a year, the other has done nothing but punch the heavy bag for a year. i'm betting all my $$$ that the guy training on the heavy bag hits a lot harder.

gobruins is correct. What some lifters forget is that speed = power.

Ya wanna get beaned by a Little League fastball, or one thrown by Catfish Hunter?

BTW, when I do a front hand hook, my arm NEVER straightens out. It stays arced and if anything curls inward as I move my weight from front foot to rear as my front foot pivots and my hips and shoulders turn from front to rear. Flys would be a more appropriate exercise for hooks than benching. The heavy bag, though, is the best ; )

This is nothing new. It's the same age old conflict between bodybuilders and combative athletes. Lifting "x" amount of lbs. does not make anyone an improved fighte, but it makes them physically stronger. Want stronger punches dealing with weights? Shadowbox with weights for 3mins.

Still though, I'm thinking anybody that could throw up 300+ lbs would still hit hard enough to make the argument a moot point in a streetfight.