Best BJJ instruction in GTA?

Well appreciated advice. Similar to kashk earlier. Try a class at a few of the well-know clubs and pick one for location, time, etc. As you say, after I get more experience I will then have knowledge to decide whether to stay or go somewhere else.

This forum is great.

Thanks!

" I have been through this process myself but have been out of it for a few years so I consider myself a beginner again."

" when I trained at the Impact Club when it was known as Samurai Club"

Cap'tn, are you implying that you may sandbag in a
future tourney? lol

j/k

All the best in joining a club that's right for you.

Hey Wayne-o. I wouldn't even entertain that thought at all. I'm more of a stand up guy by nature. My background is Hapkido and Kali. For awhile I did JKD but I don't really think I learned much from it so I don't really identify with it. The guys I trained with seemed to only show up shortly after there was an A&E documentary on Bruce Lee. And then would jump off the band wagon a few weeks later. A lot of kids who basically felt they were experts. I just want to add the ground game to my arsenal to become competent on the feet and on the mat. I didn't get my limited ground experience from Samurai but I did train in this little hole in the wall gym in Scarb some years back. I had some personal issues with the head instructor and chose not to continue. So basically I approach the ground fighting from a pragmatic standpoint and focus on self defence rather than a tournament with rules and regulations. There's really only a handful of guys who could be the best at tournament fighting and I sure ain't one of them!!!!

" but I did train in this little hole in the wall gym in Scarb some years back. I had some personal issues with the head instructor and chose not to continue"

Mind if I ask you a question about the above? I'm a
cat, and now I'm dead. ;)

waynefj22@hotmail.com

wayne-o. I sent you an e-mail from r_u_kidding_me@hotmail.com

newgrappler,

when i first moved to toronto a few years ago i found myself in the same situation you are in now...as many people have suggested the best course of action would be to try as many of the clubs as possible. most offer a trial class (or even a week) so you can see what they have to offer...

i went to at least one class at warriors, rebellion, bravado, impact, and karma. at each school i had positive experiences and each one had something different to offer...if you settle for a school without trying at least a few others you may miss out on a training environment that suits you better...

there are good grapplers at every school and as a beginner you can't really lose with any of the 'established' names in the GTA...they are all well regarded for a reason.

ChickenSalad email me at kashkbjj@hotmail.com we have to talk.

thanks ChickenSalad! Good advice. Happy New year!

Hey the 7-8 is a technique class the 815-930 is a class where youcan work on stuff, ask Wagnney questions or roll.