Best fighter to never win any major organization belt?

Bmf was a title

you are bonkers. he had a couple good wins and a bunch of really, really boring ass fights.

David Loiseau

1 Like

This may be unpopular, but Iā€™m gonna throw it out there: Chael Sonnen.
He should have been WEC champ, itā€™s not his fault Filho missed weight and normally if the champ misses weight, but the challenger makes weight and wins, he still gets the beltā€¦ So he was one of the best in his class in the WEC.
Also, coming so close to dethroning Silva and beating pretty much everyone else in his path in the UFC (questionable decision against future champ, Michael Bisping, taken either way you want) has to put him near the top of his weight class for a long time.
That has to count for something.

6 Likes

Didnā€™t Filho give him the belt to take home anyways?

Rings was no closed fist punches on the ground right?

If weā€™re talking mma, no it doesnā€™t count.

It depends on what era of RINGS we are talking about, and while I would contend that all iterations of RINGS would qualify as MMA, I believe that Arona competed in the latter stages of RINGS which would have allowed punches to the body of a grounded opponent, but not the head. Up until about mid 1992 most strikes were legal. Soccer kicks, stomps, etc. (although you had to wear elbow pads if you wanted to attack with your elbow), but at some point, Maeda decided he couldnā€™t take it anymore and banned ground and pound.

Arona competed in their late 90s King of Kings era, which should definitely be looked at as legit MMA victories.

1 Like

Hard to top Tonyā€™s run. Too many wars before he got a crack at the title. Victim of being in khabibs division.

4 Likes

Hendo.

To me itā€™s Tony Ferguson and Igor Vovchanchyn

1 Like

Not taking anything away from the guys who competed in RINGS, just hard for me to consider it mma if thereā€™s no punches to the head/face when on the ground.

If Igor and Sakuraba are considered as not having won titles in Pride then the ONLY answers are Igor and Sakuraba and Fujii.

1 Like

1 Like

See you knew it already you sandbagging son of a bitchā€¦

Mr. Coleman had something to say about that

And that would eliminate shooto as well which is been around longer than the UFC

Coleman won the tournament well after Igor beat up Kerr didnā€™t he?

1 Like

No it was part of the tournament thatā€™s how Coleman met Igor in the finals and he got Igor all twisted up upside down in the corner ropes and started Landing the knees from hellā€¦ when Mark stood up and start doing his Infamous jump into the ropes it was the happiest Iā€™d ever been for any fighter in my entire life not ashamed to say I had tears in my eyes

3 Likes

Erickson vs Igor right around pride 8-9 would have been very interesting

Oh Iā€™m thinking of when Igor smashed Kerr and it ended up being a DQ, then he beat him again in the tournament. Igor was a fucking machine.

It was nice to see Mark back on top after losing three in a row in the UFC and then doing that worked shit with Takada.

3 Likes