Best Self Defense Weapon??

what would you guys say is the best self defense weapon to carry, and one that poses little consequence if you get caught??

i'm sure you heard this before, and i'm sure it's not the reply you are looking for, but:

yourself, your mind, your awareness - do not get into a situation where you have to defend yourself or loved ones

run or if you cannot run, verbal deescalation skills and non-violent postures (a la Tony Blauer) can help

barring the above, i like a stick, but i don't carry one nor an ASP baton (illegal i believe in NYC), so find one on street - i see many painter's sticks and brooms or mops on NYC streets.

there is talk that the cane is a perfect weapon.

1 Like

cold steel city stick.

check it out under "specialty items" @ www.coldsteel.com.

As a last resort: crkt kasper folder, and a benchmade afck 806 folder.

Of the 3, which one would I stake my life on? The city stick? Why? Because it's already in my hand, when the fit hits the shan.

forgot to post that i do carry something: a mini-maglite in one pocket, some ballpoint pens (papermate and bic) in the other.

4R,

that's cool!

SG:

If you train in the french la canne method, this is THE cane for YOU! Besides, who'll argue with an 11-layer fiberglass shaft, and a stainless steel head?

4R,

unfortunately i don't. been interested in it once i found out that Iceman teaches/hosts la canne. but wife will not let me out of the house yet, especially if it's just mins over the lincoln tunnel. i live in queens, so for me, that would take too much time away from the kids and her.

however, one day, i will go check out Iceman and his academy and the la canne! take it easy on me then, ok? :-)

"What would you guys say is the best self defense weapon to carry, and one that poses little consequence if you get caught?"

I carry a .22 caliber semi-automatic Beretta in a Thunderwear holster that I can get to via my pant's zipper.

I also carry a Kubotan on my keychain, especially whenever I find myself in an area where carrying a concealed weapon might get me into deep shit. The Kubotan is a handy little accessory that can be used to manipulate joints for come-alongs, or as a blunt-force instrument for jabbing and attacking primary strike points.

In the past, I've also carried blades and spikes that were manufactured to look like ordinary pens.

stckgrappler -

a asp is not illegal in NYC - i asked a cop i trained w @ renzo's - he said the police cant carry anything a civilian cant - dbl check as the law may have changed in the last year

Steve,

really? will check, if it's true, heh heh

thanks!!!!!!!!!

SG:

You know I'm just kidding. But the city stick is, by far, my favorite EDC. totally legal, extremely strong, and combines with 2 methodologies (le canne and le baton). I carry my other EDC's as a backup (hey, we always need backups!)...but my cane is my favorite weapon. I just hope to never use it.

The best self defense weapon is the one that you
always have with you. Stickgrapplers answer
yourself, your mind, your awareness, etc. is of
course the ultimate. But as far as physical things
go my favorites are a sturdy ball point pen in my
shirt pocket and a my house and car keys carried
on a snap swivel that attaches to a belt loop. The
use of the ball point is pretty obvious but the use of
the snap swivel key ring is that it is always in your
hand as you get into(or out of) your car or house.
Get used to carrying it with the snap part protruding
between your index and middle finger and the keys
protruding from the bottom of your fist. Believe me
this thing is almost as good as a set of brass
knuckles and is just hanging at your belt ready to
grab if it is not in your hand.

Grandpab

Steve,

"they are illegal in New york State:artical 265.01 - A person is guilty of criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree when:[1] He possesses any firearm,electronic dart gun,electronic stun gun, gravity knife, switchblade knife, pilum ballistic knife, metal knuckle knife,cane sword, BILLY,BLACKJACK, BLUDGEON,metal knuckles,chuka stick, sand bag, sand club, wrist brace type slingshotor slungshot, shirken or"Kung Fu star"."

someone posted on bladeforums/prac tact to my q.

he suggested checking www.looseleaflaw.com for links to all 50 states laws.

Grandpab, sorry, again yesterday, no chance to scan in an article.

4R that site is great. I've got to get a Boar Axe or a tomahawk.

In my truck i am a fan of a can of bear spray...lol

H&K USP .40 Compact in a Milt Sparks IWB holster.

TOki, do you know where to find an SOB holster for the compact H&K?

Try thevikingtrader.com or J.F. Swann if all else fails.

Galco makes nice ones, but I don't think they have them for the compact. The may now, but when I bought mine, only the Full sized .45 (!).

Springfield 1911 in .45

I carry it inside the waistband.

gun

Wits, ASP, Benchmade axis folder, H&K USP 40.

Knowing when to run too.