Best Sprawl n Brawlers So Far

With the loss of Cain over JDS, we've seen one of the best SnB'ers in the sport get dominated from top to bottom. When a primary striker wins over a primary grappler, I always think about ways to close the gap, set up the td, etc. When a primary grappler wins over a primary striker, I think about ways the striker should strike while avoiding the tds.

Since Cain won, im thinking back on who the best guys we've seen a striking while keeping the fight on their feet and how this is a great example of an MMA unique skill.

The names to come to my mind in this dept are (from earlier to more recently):

Jens
Chuck
Crocop
Anderson
BJ
Aldo
JDS

Im a big Fedor fan but we know that Fedor got taken down often and I dont think he ever developed a great SNB game. Sakurai and Gomi are 2 of the best Japanese strikers but Sakurai was like Fedor, too aggressive and left himself open for the td alot. Gomi was about OK and SNB imo, not terrible but not great. I think most people would overlook Sylvia due to size or whatever, but he was not bad at it. Hendo is good example of world class wrestling with top notch striking but has been taken down consistently throughout the course of his career.

Anderson should finally get his due in this after the 2nd Chael fight and also after realizing that Okami got no tds against him and that Chael iirc is the only other fighter Okami has failed to td after 16 UFC fights. People also forget that Dan tried to take Andy down in R2 in their fight but got stuffed.

Who else?

Who is the best at this?

People also continue to dis Chuck for only being able to KO grapplers but as we just saw with Cain/JDS, there is an entire art to being able to do so.

Oh, forget about Machida! He def should be on the list.

Jens
Chuck
Crocop
Anderson
BJ
Machida
Aldo
JDS

Interestingly enough, the only guys with wrestling background there are Jens and Chuck. BJ and Aldo are originally BJJ guys. Crocop, Anderson, Machida and JDS have striking backgrounds.

Machida should be added to the list. Only one to ever beat him with wrestling is 3 inches taller and 20 pounds heavier Phone Post

Robbie Lawler

Igor Phone Post

How about playing to your strentghs? Phone Post

genshi - 

Robbie Lawler

Wouldnt he only be middle of the pack in this dept? Hasnt he been taken down quite a few times and even finished a few times in SF?

Deepy - 

Igor Phone Post

Id say good, not great. He was taken down by a 180lb Saku.

UGCTT_painbringer - 

how about instead of sprawling and brawling, use all the tools that you have as a MIX MARTIAL ARTIST

why use 2 tools when you have acces to ALL OF THEM

You suffer from a lack of understanding the innate nature of skill distribution for a fighter. It is extremely hard to be world class at more than two things. That's what makes certain guys so extremely special.

I will give you Chuck and BJ falling in love with their hands (to their own severe detriment).

Deepy - 

How about playing to your strentghs? Phone Post

Yes, isnt this what its about for strikers in MMA? But in order to do so, they need to develop other parts of the game, right?

Wasa-B - 
Deepy - 

Igor Phone Post

Voted up for a good thread fren. I agree with your list (+Machida).

I would almost put Koscheck and Jon Jones in there. Though Jones will go to the ground sometimes he is primarily a stand up guy and Koscheck almost NEVER uses his takedowns anymore. He is all brawl (except against daley who I think he was purposefully trying to aggrevate).

Only ones that really make the cut are Aldo and Silva at the high levels.

What about Rampage? He kinda turned into a sprawl and brawl guy almost exclusively, no? I guess just not as successfully as your list.

good thread Wasa

thiago alves

Pride era Wanderlei. Phone Post

Tim Sylvia? That was his style and it worked for him for a while. Phone Post

Oh and Arlovski. Sorry about the double post. Phone Post

Deepy - 

Pride era Wanderlei. Phone Post

I would say very good, not great?

Spent much of the first fight against Arona on his back (though the first "td" was actually getting dropped from a leg kick from Arona iirc). He did have very good tdd against Arona in the rematch.

He got taken down once against Saku in their 2nd fight. So once over 3 fights but was bigger than Saku of course.

Got taken down by Rampage in their first fight, cant recall if he did in the 2nd?

I do recall when he was stuffing Hendo in their first match and Bas said "i wish i had a sprawl like that," thats when the strikers and their tdd starting catchup to the wrestlers and their tds.

Neil McCauley - thiago alves

Yes, but for a while...he stuffed Karo and Hughes but GSP took him down all night but that's GSP....he did manage to get back up from most of GSP's tds iirc.....when Alves came back against Fitch, he was ragged dolled....i think Alves was not physically ready after tht surgery/layoff to face a guy like Fitch.

Haulport - 
Wasa-B - 
Deepy - 

Igor Phone Post

Voted up for a good thread fren. I agree with your list (+Machida).

I would almost put Koscheck and Jon Jones in there. Though Jones will go to the ground sometimes he is primarily a stand up guy and Koscheck almost NEVER uses his takedowns anymore. He is all brawl (except against daley who I think he was purposefully trying to aggrevate).

Thanks esse. ;)

Yeah, thought about Jones, def nobody taking him down when he wants to strike. I think i wouldnt categorize him as a primary anything though as i see him striking and going to the ground equally?

Yeah, Kos never does offensive wrestling anymore, and is def hard to td. Did GSP get any tds against him in the rematch? Though that was spent mostly boxing. Oh, for the person that mentioned Alves, Alves stuffed iirc all of Kos' tds in that fight though Kos only used it when in trouble and not really setting them up, still.