BJJ black belt vs. Kali expert with a real knife

Warning it is NOT recommended you try the below practice yourself, as these are both seasoned professionals in their respective martial arts.

For generations, Brazilian jiu-jitsu experts took on exponents from other martial arts disciplines including judo, boxing, kickboxing, capoeira, and karate. Then in the early 1990s, the landscape of martial arts was radically transformed after Royce Gracie’s multiple UFC tournament victories.

However, a massive question was left entirely unanswered - how would Brazilian jiu-jitsu fare against a weapon-based martial art? In the following video jiu-jitsu black belt Alex Embry from Alpha BJJ takes on Paul Ingram of Kali Center. Ingram specializes in the Filipino stick and blade art of Kali (also known as Eskrima).

Typically when training against knives, a rubber training knife is used. However, as Paul points out, that can create a false sense of security.

“When you’re training with a rubber knife, everyone is a hero,” explains Embry. “But you can’t grab [a bladed knife].”

So in the following video, Embry and Ingram decide to train with a live blade, to demonstrate the effect it has on training. Paul acts as the aggressor, while Alex has to use his Brazilian jiu-jitsu skills to neutralize the threat before getting cut.

Check out the full, raw video:

LINK

This is a beautiful example of experts from separate disciplines learning from each other, and strengthening their respective art. Further, by sharing their experiences on the social network, the effort incrementally elevates the entire practice of martial arts.

Author: Nic is a designer and illustrator alongside being a martial arts enthusiast. You can find some of his illustrative work for purchase here.

1 Like

I’d love to do some knife training. I don’t want to spend too much time doing it though because I’d rather spend my time doing striking or grappling.

I’ve watched a lot of videos on defense against a knife and I like the Navy Seal or LEO style. The moves are very basic and probably more likely to be successful in a high stress situation.

It is sort of like Muay Thai. You don’t know what is coming so you shell up and try to defend your head torso and legs as best you can.

I don’t think the fancy Kali moves would work well for me

I’ve always thought the idea of knife defense training kind of dumb. The only defense is to haul ass or have a gun. I’ve spent my share of time in combat and it’s not fun - the idea of doing that in medieval Europe with people trying to stab me is horrifying.

1 Like

I always put it this way…Don’t focus on executing some fancy disarm, focus on not getting stabbed. If the disarm happens, its a happy accident/

The term “Knife fighting expert” is annoying.

How many real knife fights have you been in? If they are honest, usually the answer is “none”.

But, even if they have been in a knife fight or two or three we’re talking about seconds to maybe a few minutes of real-world knife fighting experience on the high end. No one is an ‘expert’ at anything they have only done for a few minutes, at most.

“Knife fighting theoretician” is probably a more apt term.

Realitsic knife defense against 100% resistance demonstration.
Search on youtube:
“Knife defense. A chance to stay alive. Combat sports based.”

1 Like

What do you mean by KKM? (Seriously)